Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Goodell takes on his critics

Goodell takes on his critics
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1D5YhdepW
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 5, 2011

DALLAS Amid a news conference dominated by questions about a looming work stoppage, Roger Goodell also was asked if he has an anti-Steelers bias and specifically if the NFL commissioner's worst-case scenario Sunday night is presenting the Super Bowl MVP award to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or outside linebacker James Harrison.

"I'd be more than happy to hand off the MVP trophy to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison," Goodell said. "They've had extraordinary years, and I think it's great for the game of football. I hope they will have great games on Sunday."

Goodell has been in the news with both Harrison and Roethlisberger this week.

Harrison mocked Goodell and the league's crackdown on dangerous hits at Super Bowl media day. Goodell, meanwhile, told Sports Illustrated that none of the more than 20 players he talked to after Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault last March came to his defense. SI initially reported that Roethlisberger's teammates hadn't supported him and later issued a retraction, saying Goodell had talked to players around the league.

Goodell said yesterday that talking to players is standard before making a big decision. He said he brought it up because he was asked about the process that preceded Goodell suspending Roethlisberger.

In addition to addressing the Roethlisberger controversy, which kicked off Super Bowl week, Goodell refuted the notion that the Steelers were unfairly targeted by his office this season.

Harrison has said the NFL made him the "poster boy" for the kind of hits Goodell wants to eliminate. He has been fined four times for a total of $100,000.

"The rules apply to 32 teams and every player in the league, no exceptions," Goodell said. "If you look at the game this year, (players) adjusted, and it is safer."

Chairman emeritus Dan Rooney said the Steelers are not at odds with Goodell's initiative to improve player safety.

"We never said that we were for head to head hits, none of our players did," Rooney said. "We don't want to hurt anybody. The commissioner's main job is to see that it's a level playing field."

Rooney echoed Goodell's sentiment that earnest negotiations are the only way the players and owners are going to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current one expires after March 3, and players are bracing for owners to lock them out. The sides are divided over revenue sharing.

"There's enough money that we can take care of people that should be, the players, the coaches," Rooney said. "I think the way the thing is going with the National Football League that enough money is being produced to do that. We have a great game, and I think we've to keep it up there."

Rooney, the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland, has been a key figure in brokering labor peace in the past.

He plans to stay on the sidelines this time.

"My job," Rooney said, "is in Ireland."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

They said it

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the likelihood that there will be a prolonged work stoppage if a new CBA isn't reached before March 4:

"We will get an agreement, and I think that's only going to happen with intense negotiations. That has to take place now. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right because otherwise uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. I'd say right now, let's get to work, let's get an agreement that works for everybody."

Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney on the owners and players reaching an agreement:

"I'm pessimistic if they don't talk. If they talk I'm optimistic. I'm saying serious talks, that they go with the idea that they're going to get an agreement and not just talk to (reporters) and say everything's great or bad."

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the urgency the owners and players much show over the next month:

"The American public and sponsors want this product, and if we don't conclude a labor deal before March 4, that will be criminal."

Read more: Goodell takes on his critics - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1D5ZKpHEG
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Goodell takes on his critics

This is getting funnier.

Obama is now advising Goodell, lol. What a tool!

When you get criticized by the people come back at them, perhaps he needs to worry about the CBA. Not just say... The owners are willing to do a deal, if the deal is right. NO, SERIOUSLY, Roger? Really?
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Goodell takes on his critics

February 5, 2011
Goodell: Nothing against Steelers
http://tribune-democrat.com/prosport...ainst-Steelers
Eric Knopsnyder eknopsnyder@tribdem.com The Tribune-Democrat Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:38 AM EST

DALLAS — Roger Goodell spent a lot of time talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers during the NFL commissioner’s state of the league address on Friday.

And some of it, he seemed to enjoy.

Mostly, Goodell answered questions about the league’s contentious labor negotiations. When he was speaking on that subject, he was telling Steelers fans that he doesn’t have anything against their team.

One reporter said that fans, and at least one Steeler, thought that the best part of a Super Bowl XLV victory over the Green Bay Packers would be the fact that Goodell, who suspended Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for four games and fined linebacker James Harrison $100,000, could have to hand the MVP trophy to one of them.

“I know Steelers fans. I don’t buy that,”
Goodell said. “Listen, I would be happy – if the Pittsburgh Steelers win, I would be more than happy to hand the MVP trophy off to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison. They’ve had extraordinary years, and I think it’s great for the game of football. I think it’s great for them as individuals and I hope they will have terrific games on Sunday. I can’t root for anybody, but whoever gets up to that stage, I’ll be proud to hand the trophy off to, I promise you that.” ("He knows Steeler fans does he. Then why didn't come to Pittsburgh and talk to Steeler fans the way he went to New England and talked to Cheat fans. Goodell is such a lying piece of crap. - mesa)

Harrison has been outspoken all week about his disdain for the league’s attempts to expand to an 18-game regular season schedule and about what he sees as an unfair disciplinary system regarding fines for illegal hits.

Goodell also addressed concerns that the Steelers were unfairly targeted for big hits.

“As commissioner, I have to take ultimate responsibility for making sure that the integrity of the game and the safety of our game are going to be implemented in a consistent and fair way. That’s my responsibility,” he said. “The rules apply to 32 teams and every player in the league, no exceptions. I’m the commissioner for the entire league, for 32 teams. Everyone’s going to play by the same rules. We will work harder to make sure they understand the appropriate techniques, and I think people have adjusted.” (Hey A-Hole Goodell, I guess that doesnt' apply to Radier players when the blindside punch out the Steelers QB. - mesa)

When Goodell got a question about two historic franchises playing in the Super Bowl, he breathed a sigh of relief.

“Well, that is a refreshing question,” he said. “When you look at this matchup, and I said it earlier, you say ‘Pittsburgh Steelers’ and ‘Green Bay Packers,’ that’s football.

“There’s no doubt about it, that’s football.”

He went on to single out the devoted following for each team.

“The fans are tremendous in both of these communities,” he said. “I lived in western Pennsylvania for five years, and those fans – there aren’t any better fans than Steeler fans. Then you look at the Packer fans, and they’re the same way. Tremendous passion, they support their team through thick and thin, and it means a lot to these communities. And they’re both national teams. This isn’t just about fans in western Pennsylvania or in Wisconsin, they have national followings.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote