Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Hampton 'not coming out'

On the Steelers: Hampton 'not coming out'
Saturday, February 05, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11036/1123347-66.stm

DALLAS -- University of Texas product Casey Hampton does not plan to take a back seat in this Texas Super Bowl and, by all measures, that would be a rather large back seat.

The 340-poundish Hampton knows the Steelers defense will deploy plenty of nickel and dime schemes against the pass-happy Green Bay Packers. And, in such defenses, Hampton usually is nowhere to be found.

He promised that will change Sunday.

"I'm playing in every package -- nickel, dime, everything," Hampton declared. "I'm not coming out. I'm starting everything, so I'm out there."

During the usual course of events, when the Steelers switch to their nickel defense (simply put for this exercise, five defensive backs) or dime (six defensive backs), Hampton comes off the field. Coordinator Dick LeBeau will insert a fifth defensive back in passing situations or against an offense that employs three or more receivers.

The nickel back this season has been William Gay, who replaces Hampton. The Steelers then would use two interior linemen -- Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel, usually -- and two "ends" or outside linebackers, LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison.

Before they drafted linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers usually used six defensive backs in passing situations, adding two in the secondary and removing Hampton and a linebacker (e.g. Larry Foote). They may use more dime this game because the Packers like to use sets that feature four and five receivers.

But Hampton vows to remain on the field in all those defenses, although not all of the time.

"I mean, it's time, the Super Bowl is time to go. It's just time. There's no reason for me to be sitting on the bench and playing 15 plays and stuff like that. I don't have nothing to save it for, it's time to go."

If that's the case, it would be time to go for Hood (or Keisel, but his experience and ability suit the pass defense better) unless LeBeau plans to use a 12-man defense.

"Oh, Ziggy is going to play,'' Hampton insisted, because "after about three, four plays I'm going to be tired anyway. So, he's going to have to go in."

Hampton followed that quickly with a belly laugh, and you have to see the belly to appreciate the laugh.

"It's going to be like a better rotation, more of a mix of both of us in there," Hampton said. "We're just going to try to rotate more, especially if they're passing the ball a whole lot. Just rotate guys more."

Hampton does not like to come out of games, but it is something the Steelers have done with him for a long time. On occasion, smart offenses have been able to take advantage of his absence by showing a pass formation to get him off the field, then giving the ball to their third-down back to run.

"I'm going to do whatever they need me to do," Hampton said. "If they want to put me out there, I'll go out there. If they feel like they want someone else out there, I'm a team guy, whatever they need me to do I'm here to do.

"It's definitely hard for me to watch. I definitely want to be out there helping the team. Sometimes, it doesn't work out like that."
Short and sweet

Mike Tomlin pulled a fast one. He was scheduled to appear for his final news conference in the big ballroom at the Sheraton at 9:30 a.m. Since his team had practice scheduled for 11 in Forth Worth, which can be an hour away depending on traffic -- longer since it snowed overnight -- Tomlin convinced NFL officials earlier in the week to move it to 8 a.m.

Instead of the usual hundreds of reporters in the same ballroom used for the later commissioner's news conference, Tomlin was greeted by maybe two dozen.

He took six questions and, when there was a slight pause, he thanked everyone for coming and ended the news conference. It lasted about 10 minutes. The NFL Network, broadcasting it live, called it the shortest Super Bowl coach's news conference in history.

His most pertinent answer to a question about his chance to join other coaches with multiple Super Bowl rings: "I think fortunately for us, we have what you can't buy, which is legacy."
Raising objections

Thursday, executives of the NFL Players Association repeated their opposition to an 18-game season, although they fell short of declaring that it would be a deal-breaker to a new collective bargaining agreement.

Steelers players plus Ambassador Dan Rooney have consistently voiced their resistance to adding two more games to the regular season. Hampton said the idea has been put forth by people in the NFL who have not played in the NFL.

"An 18-game schedule is crazy," Hampton said. "Anybody who knows football or who has played football knows that's crazy. People who are making decisions and trying to make this an 18-game schedule never played football and they don't know what their body is going to feel like after that.

"I think they need to get guys in there who have played and who can kind of give them a better analysis what a guy's body feels like after 16 games, never mind 18 games."

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11036...#ixzz1D5b0q4iw
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: On the Steelers: Hampton 'not coming out'

Whatever big snack.........Coach will just rent a tow truck and pull you off the field in the dimes and nickels..........
Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

As long as he can hang it's fine. But don't stay in just because it's the SB and end up hurting the team because you can't keep up.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
xli...
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17864

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
As long as he can hang it's fine. But don't stay in just because it's the SB and end up hurting the team because you can't keep up.
Word. The best players need to be out there on the best defensive packages. He needs to get over himself a little bit if he wants that 3rd ring.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

he's great when he puts 100%, problem is i dont think he can do that when he's tired
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Sorry snack, you're coming out on third downs.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Corey120120
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15530

I hope he crushes Aaron Rodgers..... literally
Corey120120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Relax fellas, the big guy just got done saying that he will do WHATEVER the coaching staff NEEDS him to do FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM-- he is just saying this is the big dance, and there is no other games to "save up" for or anything. He just WANTS to be out there on every play. Who wouldn't? Gotta love the enthusiam and the team spirit!

Be glad, the Steelers defense sounds pumped. You know they have been reading all the crappola the media has been saying this week-- I can tell by some of the tweets and blog postings our guys have made, the defense is just drooling to go out there and absolutely destroy some sh1t.

I am kinda wondering if Aaron Rodgers and some of the other GB offensive players are secretly getting worriedwith all the hype being piled on them-- they know that there are a bunch of big, ugly, monsters on our defense that are rubbing their mitts together, waiting for the call to release the hounds tomorrow afternoon.

I can hardly wait....