Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Starkey: Steelers stars trump logic, Packers

Starkey: Steelers stars trump logic, Packers

By Joe Starkey
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 6, 2011

ARLINGTON, Texas Logic tells me to pick the Green Bay Packers tonight.

Logic compares the Packers winging it around on an indoor carpet to gasoline spreading on a sheet of fire. Aaron Rodgers is the NFL's best indoor passer over the past three seasons (111.1 rating in 12 games), and in their most recent appearance under a roof, the Packers scorched a very good Atlanta team.

Logic loves Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews in any matchup on the outer edges of the Steelers' blocking schemes and kinda likes freight-train nose tackle B.J. Raji on the inside, too.

Logic believes Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders when he says the Packers' cornerbacks (Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams) can effectively utilize a physical, in-your-face style against the Steelers' receivers.

Logic also is inclined to agree with another Hall of Fame defensive back, Rod Woodson, when he says the Packers have the rare ability to spread out and dice up the Steelers, a la the New England Patriots, and bury them in a barrage of short- and medium-range passes.

Logic has seen enough of Rodgers to know he can take a licking and keep on flicking and, if need be, convert first downs on the run, thereby hurting the Steelers even on plays when Dick LeBeau makes the right call.

Finally, logic argues that the Steelers' experience is countered by the Packers' relative youth and hunger. Green Bay has only one player (ex-Steelers practice-squader John Kuhn) with a Super Bowl ring. Logic points out with a hint of arrogance, I must say that the Saints and Giants proved in recent years that championship experience is overrated in the Super Bowl.

So, yes, in many ways the Packers are the logical pick.

And I can't bring myself to pick them.

Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger won't let me.

We could talk all day about the other big-time players in the Steelers' arsenal. We could analyze the importance of obscure role players, as well. But let's be real: Superstars win championships, no matter the sport, and from this vantage point Polamalu and Roethlisberger are the two best players in Super Bowl XLV.

We're talking about a pair of sure-fire Hall of Famers at the height of their powers, still in their 20s (Polamalu for only two more months).

In a game of this magnitude, with legacies on the line, I simply cannot pick against them.

It's amazing, but true, that people remain reluctant to mention Roethlisberger in the same breath as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Just two weeks ago, Rod Woodson said Roethlisberger is not among the top five NFL quarterbacks.

I'm thinking a guy with a 10-2 playoff record probably deserves to be ranked ahead of Philip Rivers.

Thank goodness for Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian, one of the most respected team builders in NFL history. He told the Los Angeles Times, "Bottom line, if you ask football people, they're going to put Ben Roethlisberger up there with (Brady and Manning) almost unanimously."

By the way, Roethlisberger has a couple of players who can use the fast indoor track to their advantage, notably Mike Wallace.

"I think he could even run with 'Prime,' " Sanders said, invoking his own famous nickname.

Polamalu, meanwhile, is due for a Super Bowl masterpiece. He was relatively quiet in his first two.

Like Roethlisberger, Polamalu is noted for his improvisational brilliance. But both are preparation freaks. Roethlisberger has slowly evolved into the studious type. Polamalu arrived that way.

"There's a method to Troy's madness," said Packers secondary coach Darren Perry, who had a similar position with the Steelers when Polamalu broke in. "I remember his rookie season he used to sit right next to me in meetings every day and take as good a notes as anybody.

"I'm sure he still does."

Note to world: Even though the Packers will try to keep Polamalu busy in coverage by employing four and five receivers, he will find a way to make plays.

Strike that.

He will find a way to make a play that changes the game. And as with Roethlisberger, his greatest plays often defy logic.

The Steelers will do the same ...

Steelers 27, Packers 24

celebrity super bowl predictions

Marisa Miller, Sports Illustrated swimsuit model

Green Bay, 28-10 "I have been to six Super Bowls. This year I'm really excited about the game. I think it could go either way. Pittsburgh has a ton of experience, but I'm going with Green Bay."

Jay Mohr, actor/comedian ("Jerry Maguire")

Pittsburgh, 3-0 "I'm taking the way under. I love Pittsburgh. That's Six-burgh. Hopefully, it will be Sevens-burg."

Robert Wuhl, actor/comedian ("Arli$$")

"Overtime."

OK, which team will win?

"Overtime."

Ines Sainz, Mexican television reporter

"I think Pittsburgh has a little more chance to win. Actually, it is not going to be a big difference four or five points, a very close game. I don't believe a lot of points are going to be scored in the game."

Tiki Barber, sports broadcaster and former NFL running back

"It's impossible to predict these games. They are two very strong teams defensively. I like the Steelers because of the experience factor and maybe some sentimental factor because I know a few guys on that squad."

Nolan Ryan, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher and Texas Rangers owner

Pittsburgh, 27-24 "For some reason I think they are going to win. I don't know why because I think Green Bay is a good, balanced ball club."

Kenny Mayne, ESPN personality and "Dancing With the Stars" contestant

Green Bay, 31-24 "Sadly, I'm going against your team. I wouldn't be shocked in the least. In fact, I would have made Pittsburgh the favorite if I was setting the line. The difference is Aaron Rodgers. He's playing at a crazy level, and if he is on, they can score 28-31 points."

Phil Simms, former Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS sports analyst

Pittsburgh, 24-17 "I just think they are a little more physical, and that's what the game is all about. But I don't think it will be as high-scoring as people think."

Boomer Esiason, former NFL quarterback and CBS sports analyst

Green Bay, 24-20 or 27-24 "Aaron Rodgers is a spectacular player. I think Troy (Polamalu) is not 100 percent, and without Maurkice Pouncey it will be a major, major (influence) in this game. B.J. Raji should be able to control the line of scrimmage."

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints quarterback and Super Bowl XLIV MVP

"You've got two great teams, two great offenses and two great defenses. The advantage goes to the Steelers because of experience and who they played before. But if the Packers play their best game, I think they can beat them."

Eric Dickerson, NFL single-season rushing leader

Pittsburgh, 20-14 "I'm an NFC guy, I love Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' running game, but I'm going with the AFC. Ben (Roethlisberger) has been there before, they have speedy receivers, and (Rashard) Mendenhall has been running the ball great. That defense gets penetration, and that's what it's all about. I don't think it will be a gunslinging match."

Black Eyed Peas will.i.am

"We're going to root for the Black Eyed Peas."

Black Eyed Peas Fergie, a Miami Dolphins fan

"I think we all love that song" (sings) "Black and yellow, black and yellow."

Teresa Scanlan, 2011 Miss America from Nebraska

"I'm going with the Packers. Brandon Jackson is a former Husker, and as a Nebraskan, I've got to be going for the Packers."

Dan Patrick, sportscaster and national talk-show host

"I picked the Packers at the beginning, and I'll stay with my pick. I always get in trouble if I give scores because people will say I'm going with the over or with the under. I like the Packers on a fast track like this. I think Aaron Rodgers will throw for 300 yards, and I think Jordy Nelson could be a big key for this team. I think the Steelers will give up a lot of yards."

Brooklyn Decker, Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and actress ("Just Go With It")

Green Bay, 30-24 "I think Pittsburgh is the stronger team. They have Ben Roethlisberger and a good defense and they've been here before, but my sentiments are with the Packers."

Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals receiver and former Pitt star

"I like the Pittsburgh Steelers. They've got experience, and I think that's going to pay dividends for them."

Joe Starkey can be reached at jraystarkey@gmail.com or .

Read more: Starkey: Steelers stars trump logic, Packers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1D9ZXv4yV
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers stars trump logic, Packers

Interesting that Fitzgerald picked Pittsburgh. I would have thought he would have still been a little bitter. Maybe there is some truth to those Fitz-to-Pitts rumors.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Interesting that Fitzgerald picked Pittsburgh. I would have thought he would have still been a little bitter. Maybe there is some truth to those Fitz-to-Pitts rumors.
isn't he a pittsburgh native? he's prolly a fan lol
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

Wow those few people that pciked the Steelers might have been it. Lol Ive never seen so much disrespect( particulary from ESPN) on a team that is looking to become a dynasty, has the best defense and defensive player, and the most clutch qb in the league in the big game.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
isn't he a pittsburgh native? he's prolly a fan lol
No, not a native, but went to Pitt for a while.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

I find it funny how everyone that picks The Packers, make it seem like Aaron Rodgers is this godlike QB. Like OMG He's playing wayyy too hott for The Steelers to handle. There's just no way The Steelers can't get pass him. My Expression is a huge WOW! Rodgers is a great QB, but lets get real here. That's just too much praising for one man, who only beat a team that the Steelers beat without Big Ben. The Falcons is that team. Come on now, everyone is feeding off of that game like hell. All you here is how great, no scratch that how Unbelievable Rodgers played aganist The Falcons. Do people realize that The Steelers still exist after beating two potential teams in the playoffs, that everyone was rooting for? I'm not saying it's wrong for people to pick a team they want to win, but please give us a logical explanation instead of his undeniable performance aganist The Falcons.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

has Boomer Esiason ever picked the Steelers to win anything?
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Yeah, the Rodgers love has gotten a bit out of hand, really. And everyone seems to forget than Ben beat him last year (albeit by one point, but it was still the most clutch finish I've ever seen in a game). And that was when our defense and special teams play was horrible. AND when Rodgers was playing better, had a running game, and had the #1 defense on his side.

Anything could happen tomorrow, but I'm really getting annoyed at how "experts" act like Rodgers is going to just destroy us in 10 seconds.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Yeah, the Rodgers love has gotten a bit out of hand, really. And everyone seems to forget than Ben beat him last year (albeit by one point, but it was still the most clutch finish I've ever seen in a game). And that was when our defense and special teams play was horrible. AND when Rodgers was playing better, had a running game, and had the #1 defense on his side.

Anything could happen tomorrow, but I'm really getting annoyed at how "experts" act like Rodgers is going to just destroy us in 10 seconds.
no kidding. i don't even think marino after his 48TD season got this much love when they went to the super bowl. it's almost out of hand.

and i think it's safe to say that as far as quarterbacks go, marino > rodgers
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote