Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Fate
Water Boy

Member Number: 16605
Unhappy Don't know how you guys do it..

That is handling this loss so well. I've been a Steelers fan ever since I was little now and I've been through the ups and downs of the last 10+ years. I've lurked these boards for long and finally signed up recently still. This is the worst hurt I've felt off a Steelers loss. Worse than the missed holding vs the Jags, worse than the AFC champ. vs the Pats, any of them. We beat ourselves.

I feel horrible for the team. Flozell was so close. He came onto this team and played his heart out. They had to force him off the field when he got hurt. What he's always dreamed of was right here. Batch is probably going to go. He could of gone out on top. I think Hines and Ben would of punched their tickets to Canton with wins. Pouncey had to sit and watch helplessly after playing every game. LeBeau's contract is up, he may go. Woodley's contract is up, he may go. I can go on and on.

I'm so proud of this team. We were picked to finish 3rd in our division. Peter King was mocked by thousands when he picked us in the SB before the season. No one expected this... but us. We battled through everything and never got credit for it. The Packers got credit for everything. I've never been one to say well we almost did it and chalk it up as a win. I can't do that now.

I feel sick to my stomach. I can't sleep. We just lost a Super Bowl. I wish I could take it in stride like some of you guys are. This team isn't getting any younger. Nothing is guaranteed in this league. We could not make another SB in 50 years. Great teams miss the SB every year. Only 1 team goes home happy.

From '79 win until '05 win is 26 YEARS. We could not win or even make it to another SB similar to that. I could not see another SB until I'm 50, 60, or maybe never. Making it isn't enough for me. It doesn't scare anyone that we could never make it back in our lifetimes? That may be rare but it sure is possible.

Many others say hockey season, baseball season, etc. I have all my eggs in one basket. I'm a diehard Steelers fan. No more sports to look forward to until next year where like I said nothing is guaranteed.. even a season at this point.

How are you guys dealing with this? I doubt many read this but to get it all out with other fans and have some people read it and respond with a discussion will make things better I guess.

(sorry if I rambled a bit)
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542
Default Re: Don't know how you guys do it..

I think the worst part of this game is that even though we lost the turnover battle 3-0, gave up a defensive touchdown, couldn't cover anyone for most of the game, numerous stupid penalties, Big Ben pretty average for most of the game that we actually had a chance to win it with 2 minutes to go. Its sad we didn't execute today.

I think this is a tough loss. 2001 and 1994 AFC championship was worse though. We were clearly better than both of those teams. Packers game was pretty even talent wise.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

Losing a Super Bowl, is always worse.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

It's ok...everyone takes different losses differently.

The worst for me was SB XXX...and it wasn't even the worst for me at the time (I wasn't die hard into football yet like I was with hockey). That loss didn't even hit me until quite a few years down the road when my Dad died (in '03). It hit me in '05 when the Steelers won again. That was a very bittersweet victory for me, and it hit me like a ton of bricks that the only SB I'd ever gotten to see with him, was a poor losing effort. Sounds kind of stupid, I know. And we had a lot more great memories besides that, but hockey and football were something we always bonded over.

Gotta cherish those wins, and not let the losses get you down too much. There are fans that go an entire lifetime without seeing their team win a SB.

I feel blessed to have experienced SB and Stanley Cup wins and losses with my daughter. She took it kind of hard tonight, but I think I was prepared for a loss early on.

It's all part of being a fan.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Steelthe#1dynasty
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7928

I think the 95' loss was the kicker for me. We are no longer undefeated in SB's and the mystique has worn away. This one hurts because we had the game. The turnovers and bad penalties just killed us. To win a SB even the smallest details are important. For example, I believe it was the 2nd quarter... It was 3rd & 1 and TE David Johnson committed a penalty that stalled the drive. GB on the next possession marched down the field and scored a TD. It all has to come together. Attention to details wins ball games! Period. This one will hurt just as bad.
Steelthe#1dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,302 Posts

Quote:
The worst for me was SB XXX
Me too. That one still hurts.

Tonight's loss is hard also for a similar reason. My uncle passed away late last year and was a die hard Packer fan.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Stairway2-7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17956
My Mood: Shocked

I cant come to accept this loss.... call me a sore loser... :(

It feels like im in a nightmare.... GOD THIS SUCKS
Stairway2-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #8
illmatic
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14597

This loss hurts bad, but I was prepared emotionally because I knew there was a chance that we might lose the game. Here are some other things to help ease the loss a bit

-We weren't even supposed to have made it this far. Most people picked us to finish 3rd in the division. Like a lot of people, I thought it was going to be a long season, with Roethlisberger out the first 4 games. But they defied the odds and the "experts" and won the division and the AFC.

-The future - We can just as easily make it back to the Super Bowl the next few years. A lot of players are returning, and I'm sure we will keep the key free agents like Woodley. We had three quality rookies this year in Pouncey, Brown, and Sanders, who are going to be a big part of the team going into the future. And we will get even better in this year's draft

-I don't feel as bad losing to Green Bay than I would losing to the Cowboys, or if the Patriots or Ravens had won it all. Also, they were the better team. There was no bad calls that cost us the game, those kind of losses hurt a lot worse.

-The Steelers are and will always be the classiest team in the league. Win or lose, I still feel happy to be a fan of a team like this.

-Also, Steelers still have the most Super Bowls :)
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
NoShootouts
Water Boy

Member Number: 17721

I was 10 years old and attending the 2001 AFC title game nothing will hurt as bad as that did. But this one stings ... at first I was ok but every second I feel worse. I truly wish we would have lost to the Jets.
NoShootouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Getting to the SB and losing is the worst.....but hey were still ahead of the game. No Steeler fan needs to be hanging their heads low. We'll be back!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote