Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default big ben interview on his swiss roots

Roethlisberger heading back to his Swiss roots
Friday, May 5, 2006

http://media3.steelers.com/article/63869/

Ben Roethlisberger is headed to Switzerland with his family to explore his Swiss roots. Steelers.com will be bringing you complete coverage of his trip and Steelers Team Pass Members will be able to watch video of the trip.

Swissroots.org will be assisting Roethlisberger and his family on the tour and took time to interview him before the plans for the trip were finalized. The following is a segment of that interview.

Swiss Roots: Congratulations on winning the Super Bowl! What was the most memorable experience from your time in Detroit?

Ben Roethlisberger: Thanks! It was great being in Detroit for the game. I've dreamed about playing in the Super Bowl since I was a kid?I'm sure playing in the Super Bowl is something every kid dreams about?and to just be there and do it was a dream come true. Seeing all the Super Bowl banners of your team and the pictures of yourself just feels amazing.

Swiss Roots: What was the reception like back in Pittsburgh?

Ben Roethlisberger: That was kind of when it all started to really sink in. It didn't fully hit me until we got back, and [the parade] kind of made it seem like "Wow, this actually happened, and this is actually real." That's the other thing: you see all these other people and their parades, whether it's the New York Yankees or the Chicago Bulls, and when you're riding in your team's parade, and there are a half a million people packed in the streets, going crazy for you? it was just absolutely amazing.

Swiss Roots: How has your life changed since the Super Bowl?

Ben Roethlisberger: Well, it's been a whirlwind, and this is kind of the first chance I've had to relax a little bit and enjoy it, but more people know who I am now, and it's harder to go anywhere and not be recognized, especially in Pittsburgh. Pictures, autographs? it's incredible how many more people recognize me now.

Swiss Roots: The Swiss media is writing more and more about American football, in part because of you. How does that make you feel?

Ben Roethlisberger: I think it's great. It's awesome that I can help spread the love of football that America has to other people who maybe don't get to experience it as much as we do. And hopefully, people will start to pick up on it more over there and enjoy it as much as we do.

Swiss Roots: Have you received fan mail from Swiss residents or people with Swiss roots living in the U.S.?

Ben Roethlisberger: Yes, I have, especially on my website. I get emails coming in from people thanking me for making Swiss people proud and asking if I'll ever get over to Switzerland for a visit.

Swiss Roots: Are you comfortable with being "the face" of Switzerland or, in other words, one of the most well-known celebrities of Swiss descent living in the U.S.?

Ben Roethlisberger: It's great, and I would love that responsibility. I'm becoming the face of a lot of things?the Steelers and, kind of, the National Football League now?and I want to make not just my family and friends proud, but also my heritage. So any way that I can make the people of Switzerland proud, that's what I'll do.

Swiss Roots: How much do you know about your Swiss heritage?

Ben Roethlisberger: Honestly, I didn't know a whole lot until recently; then I started feeling it out a little more and hearing a little more about it. Now, when people ask me where I'm from, I'm quick to say, "Well, I'm Swiss." I'm sure I have a lot of things in me, but that's one of the things I tell people?that I'm Swiss.

Swiss Roots: Has anyone in your family ever tried to trace your history?

Ben Roethlisberger: I'm not sure. I think my mom did a little bit, but I'm not sure to what extent?if she just took it back to my grandparents or to my great-grandparents, to their grandparents? Sometimes it's hard to trace those things, and sometimes it's a little easier, but I'm definitely interested in knowing more.

Swiss Roots: Swiss Roots has launched a site where you can trace your roots, meet people from Switzerland, and share Swiss-related stories. What would be your Swiss story?

Ben Roethlisberger: Well, this experience with Swiss Roots is really the first thing I could write about. But it would be a great thing for me, the Swiss Roots program, and for the country of Switzerland, if I could make a trip over there. I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing about that trip, and it would really boost the program and the website.

Swiss Roots: What kind of images do you think of when you think about Switzerland?

Ben Roethlisberger: Going on things I just know in general and have heard from other people, it's an absolutely beautiful country. I'm an outdoors kind of guy and love to go fishing and all that stuff, and I think that it's got to be just gorgeous. I'm sure you can just stand outside and spin around in circles and look at the beautiful landscape and just let it take your breath away. So I'm looking forward to that and seeing all the things I know Switzerland has to offer.

Swiss Roots: We're trying to arrange a trip for you to go to Switzerland and show you the sights, including a visit to your great-grandfather's town in the Bernese Emmental.

Ben Roethlisberger: That'd be awesome! If that town is known for their cheese, then I should take my dad: he loves cheeses, and he actually used to work in a cheese factory, so I know he'd love
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Re: big ben interview on his swiss roots

Awww... Ben is so cute! I wonder if he'll hook up with a Swiss hottie while he's there, or if he'll remain "neutral."
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

after his trip he'll be going back to practice to work on any holes in his game.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

after this trip he will be able to find all the holes in the defense. he should be well grounded going into next season. i'd hate for him to have a "hole"ier than thou attitude.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

the Bengals stink like Limberger
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
the Bengals stink like Limberger
Lol. Where do we sign you up for OCD testin? It's all good no harm in hatin a bit on the bengals.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Here is more coverage.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Can we say the Steelers have gone international now? So far Hines Ward has gone to South Korea, Ben Roethlisberger has gone to Switzerland, and both have gone there and have been welcomed as heroes and star representatives of their respective peoples and nations both there and in the US. It's only a matter of time before Troy Polomalu is visitin the Philipines wit the same type of response.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Emmental cheese futures hit record highs.

Swiss hottie reference is not only funny but probably true - a little less materialism in a Swiss village than in the good ol' USA.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I saw the pic of him on the scooter, one legged, I wanted to say hey Ben, two legs, dont be a soldier! LOL