Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
CrabbySteelerFan
Water Boy

Location: 25 minutes south of enemy headquarters (Ravens stadium)
Member Number: 17955
Default Why do we blitz on 3rd and 10?

I don't profess to be a football guru. But there was one point (among many) in this Super Bowl when I did not understand why a particular play was made. (And I've seen this play called in this very same scenario throughout the Steelers season.)

The score was 21-17 with 13:11 left in the fourth quarter. Green Bay was on the Steelers 40 yard line and it was 3rd and 10.

Even before the play started I fully expected Pittsburgh to blitz (because I've seen them do it frequently in this situation before) and I yelled at the screen, "Please don't blitz. Please don't blitz. Please don't blitz. It's going to free up a receiver."

Pittsburgh blitzed and Rodgers threw to Nelson for a 38 yard gain, which placed Green Bay on the Pittsburgh 2 yard line. Two plays later Green Bay scored a touchdown.

If I recall correctly I watched Pittsburgh blitz on 3rd and long several times throughout the season and it seems to me that they frequently got burned like this for a first down. I don't know what the exact statistics were but I'd sure like to see them.

If the statistics would reveal that this play has ended in Pittsburgh's favor a large majority of the time then I can understand the call. But it just seems to me as if blitzing in this situation was not the right call.

To me this was a turning point in the game. If the Steelers stop them there, who knows?
CrabbySteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Why do we blitz on 3rd and 10?

If you lay back in coverage Rodgers can pick you apart

Ravens got ripped for rushing 3 on the 3rd and 19 completion that won the playoff game - sometimes a skillled QB makes teh play no matter what the coverage
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We get NO pass rush without blitzing....Its a problem....Hood is the only one who gets any pressure
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Wow! I'm simply shocked with this thread. If we blitz we stand a chance ... and a much better chance than if we don't IMO.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
dpiedra
Water Boy

Member Number: 17486

You had to blitz, but the coverage of those in the secondary was brutal ... they cannot handle 1:1 coverage with good QBs like Brady and Rodgers.
dpiedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Steelthe#1dynasty
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7928

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiedra View Post
You had to blitz, but the coverage of those in the secondary was brutal ... they cannot handle 1:1 coverage with good QBs like Brady and Rodgers.
So true!!! The CB play has to improve. I would rather let Woodley walk and sign a top tier free agent CB. Steven Sylvester in my opinion is a suitable replacement.
Steelthe#1dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelthe#1dynasty View Post
So true!!! The CB play has to improve. I would rather let Woodley walk and sign a top tier free agent CB. Steven Sylvester in my opinion is a suitable replacement.
Man honestly .. I'm wondering this myself.. would I rather have Worilds playing outside and let Woodley go, if it means we can bring in Champ Bailey or Carlos Rogers.. but I know it's the Steeler way to build through the draft, and Woodley loves playing for the Steelers. I dunno.. we have some big decisions to make this offseason because our CB play HAS to get better..
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
inturnmike
Water Boy

Member Number: 18212

Dear GOD we need to improve our secondary (and have neded to for the past few years). We ALWAYS get burned by a good QB who can get the ball to receivers deep in the secondary. I can't tell you how many freaking times I saw replays of McFadden and Gay turning around the wrong way or facing the wrong direction when the ball is coming. And seriously, we must be the team with the most near-interceptions in the league. We only had ONE INT (that I could see from the stats on nfl.com) all post-season. Granted we had 21 during the regular season, but to me it looked like we were just trying to hit their guys instead of making plays on the ball. Even my wife said the same thing a few times last night! And she has only been watching football with me for 2 years now...
inturnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
LegendSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If you lay back in coverage Rodgers can pick you apart

Ravens got ripped for rushing 3 on the 3rd and 19 completion that won the playoff game - sometimes a skillled QB makes teh play no matter what the coverage
I agree. They just did an EXCELLENT job at picking up practically everything LeBeau threw at them.
LegendSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

You live by the blitz and die by the blitz. This defense lives by forcing TO's. That's the Steelers game. It didn't work last night.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote