Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868
Default Re: Wally couldn't come through like Santonio did

Cut Wallace...he's overrated..........
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213

Seriously?

This game came down to the QB's and ours was just out-of-synch. Ben kept forcing throws into DOUBLE COVERAGE just to get the ball to Wallace.

The O-line did incredible... how much pressure did you see on Ben? He was just off and on all night. The Interception-for-TD should have never been thrown...He can see pressure in front. Checkdown was wide open and Ben once again goes for 25+ pass.

I hope you have the game DVR'd, if you do go back to the 2:00 sequence. Look at the the 3 and 5 then 4th and 5.

3rd/5: Ben throws a 20 yard pass into double coverage. If you watch closely the RB is WIDE OPEN WITH NOBODY NEAR HIM FOR 10-15 YARDS

4th/5: Ben throws into Double coverage when he had HEATH MILLER WIDE OPEN on the out route.

It's a team game. We lost to a better team, we had 3 TO's for 21 points. We even had a chance with 2:00 left. Ben was just off the whole Playoffs. He only showed up 1/2 of each game.

It happens just not our year.

Go Steelers!

PS I'm someone who gets pissed when it's always our defense or somebody else (never the QB)
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,112 Times in 3,201 Posts

Gerry Dulac from the P-G contends Wallace needs some signifcant work on his game

THE POSTSEASON CERTAINLY proved that wide receiver Mike Wallace still has a long way to go in his development, despite the numbers he posted in the regular season. I know he finished with seven catches for 78 yards and had a 25-yard touchdown against the Packers, but he showed he had problems gaining separation against good corners and doesnít play tough enough in the middle of the field.

The reason the Steelers kept throwing him those quick passes to the sideline was because thatís the only way they could get him the ball. Wallace canít get open, otherwise, unless he runs away from somebody. Thatís also why I though the loss of Emmanuel Sanders really hurt them. One of the things he does well is gain separation from defensive backs and get open, at least better than Wallace.

If you ask me, Roethlisbergerís second interception was as much Wallaceís fault because he had position on CB Jarrett Bush and should have caught the pass. At the very least, he could have made sure Bush didnít make the interception. But he ran a soft pattern and it cost the Steelers.

Opposing teams have figured this out, which is why he was such a non-factor in the postseason.

Why Roethlisbergerís final three passes were all directed at Wallace, and not Hines Ward or Heath Miller, their most dependable receivers, is beyond me.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #24
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Surprised someone hasn't pulled this one...

SWEEEEEED > Wallace

steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
SteelHaven
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17811
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Surprised someone hasn't pulled this one...

SWEEEEEED > Wallace

Wallace couldn't catch a Sweed?
SteelHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
Pentheon
Team Captain

Member Number: 7606

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers33 View Post
Well what can you say after watching replay after replay of that final pass play that was an easily catchable ball. It was not an easy catch but Wallace HAS to make that catch. Santonio made a tough catch in the EZ as we all have known. Our receivers inexperience came through in prime time. The play before that Wallace looked completely lost and precious time burned off the clock. I doubt that was Ben in a pressure situation like that, our receivers just shit the bed there. I really wished we would of had Santonio in those moments as much as I hate to say it.
That wasnt an easy catch, it was forced... if you watch that 3rd and 4th down again you'll notice mendenhall WIDE open for the check down and could have ran well passed the 1st down...4th dwn play spaeth or heath (didnt see the number) was wide open to get a first down as well.

I just wish we would learn to use our check downs more than forcing the ball.
Pentheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I don't think Wallace has "it." "it" isn't a describable quality, it's just..."it." Wallace definitely has more physical talent, he's faster, he's taller, and in a pickup game he's probably a much better overall receiver. But he doesn't have "it," and Santoino did.

I hope this post actually makes sense to some people.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Exactly, Ben was forcing the ball with Wide Open 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

I actually think that a new QB Coach would be in order. Why?

1. Ben doesn't to be getting to that next level *consistently* He has been out-of-synch since the start of the Playoffs.
2. He almost never uses the wide-open checkdown. Watch the SB and you'll see plenty of people WIDE OPEN in the middle 5-7 yard routes.
3. He keeps going for the TD pass when we need 3-5 yards. Maybe it's play design but he had guys wide open all night
4. He's won 2 out of 3 SB's so it's minor but I think he could be even better if he had a QB coach that WOULD PUSH him to be like Steve Young (which I actually think he has that kind of ability in terms of passing and mobility)

He is lights out when he reads the field and keeps moving the ball instead of all 20+ yard passes.

llama
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

The reason the Steelers kept throwing him those quick passes to the sideline was because thatís the only way they could get him the ball. Wallace canít get open, otherwise, unless he runs away from somebody. Thatís also why I though the loss of Emmanuel Sanders really hurt them. One of the things he does well is gain separation from defensive backs and get open, at least better than Wallace.
Wtf? Wallace was open quite a bit but Roethlisberger was not able to deliver. This happened a lot during the regular season so I'm not sure what the problem is...

Wallace not a long term Steeler?

Wallace is a stud. It was his second year and first post season. He'll get there.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #30
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Wallace doesn't have it?

They had Wallace bracketed most of the night:

1. The WR quick screen is because the CB's play off him 12 yards. Great play easy 5 yards every time.
2. If you notice every interception or blocked pass featured Wallace and TWO other defenders.
3. I'm not trying to be mean or an ass but watch the tape. We had WIDE open guys sitting 5-10 yards in the middle all day. Ben just kept throwing 20+ yard passes.

Look at Hines or Heath on most of the plays... wide open and single coverage.

llama