Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default no-huddles on offense...

I'm moving part of a thread i posted somewhere else to a main one here.
Just another aspect of the SB game that had me in fits during game-time.

There were other things that contributed to the offense being non-productive when needed such as Arians' terrible playing-calling last night and ridiculously long snap counts (right down to 0 or 1 on the snap count clock), allowing the defense to have the best look possible at our formation and prepare. That one i didn't understand last night and i still don't today.
We've always done well with hurry-up snaps and 'no-huddles'......yet we refuse to use them. Headscratcher

thoughts?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796
Default Re: no-huddles on offense...

It was inexcusible how disorganized our offense looked on that last "drive". Just terrible.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

It did seem like our offense never got into a "now or never" mode. Maybe it's because they were fairly succesful at putting drives together. If we get points off of the field goal drive and the drive with Mendenhall's fumble, there wouldn't have been much of a need for hurry-up offense until the end.

It would have been nice to see them go with no-huddle earlier, just to get something going.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post

There were other things that contributed to the offense being non-productive when needed such as Arians' terrible playing-calling last night and ridiculously long snap counts (right down to 0 or 1 on the snap count clock), allowing the defense to have the best look possible at our formation and prepare. That one i didn't understand last night and i still don't today.
We've always done well with hurry-up snaps and 'no-huddles'......yet we refuse to use them. Headscratcher

thoughts?
in December the P-G ran a story on Roethlisberger asking for more no huddle and Arians giving his explanation why it was not run as much this season

There are simple reasons Arians has used the no-huddle less often this season despite its past effectiveness and Roethlisberger's pleas. The reasons are Maurkice Pouncey and all their new starting linemen, rookie receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, and even veteran Antwaan Randle El, who returned to the team after a four-year hiatus.

"You've got a rookie center, rookie receivers, a different line every week, three linemen who have never been here, a receiver who's never been here," Arians said. "Ben plays so fast, those guys can't stay with the pace, so it's extremely hard."

The problem, as Arians noted, is if one of those players misses a call in the no-huddle, the play can blow up into something ugly.

"It only takes one missed code word," Arians said

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353/1111665-66.stm

Maybe with Legursky having enough to deal with as a new center Arians assumed he could not handle he no huddle as well?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

i hear Arians, but there are so many complaints of our offense not getting it done and scoring points, that its hard to agree with him.
We can't be scoring 17 points in a game and expect to win all the time. It just doesn't work in this modern, pass, bigger scoring era.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Steelthe#1dynasty
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7928

Quote:

thoughts?
Nothing about the offense makes any sense. The bottom line is that I want a new OC. I've felt this way for a long time. We've been getting away with it up to this point. Arians most definitely needs to go! No rhythm, no flow, poor game plan, poor execution, etc.
Steelthe#1dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelthe#1dynasty View Post
Nothing about the offense makes any sense. The bottom line is that I want a new OC. I've felt this way for a long time. We've been getting away with it up to this point. Arians most definitely needs to go! No rhythm, no flow, poor game plan, poor execution, etc.
i agree with you. Our play calling is so predicatable on offense that most couch potatoes are calling the plays before the ball is even snapped. I do it myself more often than not (no, i'm not a couch potato..lol).
Problem is...we just had another trip to the SB....if i had to guess, i would guess Arians isn't going anywhere...for at least another year or two, especially in an organization where stability rules.
Can you imagine the headline? SB team fires offensive coordinator. Ain't gonna happen here.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Chadmagic
Team Captain

Member Number: 17433

When you are down 21-3 in the Superbowl, you have to go No Huddle! There is no excuse not to! Any other team in the NFL would do it. There is no next week. You have to do all you can to give your team a chance. Why no gadget play? The 2pt conversion was a HUGE success and if they had run that play at any other time in the game it woulda went for a monster gain if not a TD.

I just don't think Arians is capable of abandoning his game plan on the fly. Which is something you have to be able to do if its not working. In 05 we came out swinging with the no huddle and caught everyone off guard. Had we done that this game, I think the outcome would have been different and we would all be celebrating #7.

Fire Arians. Not because he's not a good OC, but because he is stagnant and not creative.
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
i hear Arians, but there are so many complaints of our offense not getting it done and scoring points, that its hard to agree with him.
We can't be scoring 17 points in a game and expect to win all the time. It just doesn't work in this modern, pass, bigger scoring era.
It works up to a point - in the current AFC North it will get you to the playoffs with a good defense but at some point in the playoffs you are going to meet up with a Brees, Brady or Rodgers - in retrospect the Steelers were fortunate it took Arizona until the 4th quarter to get Larry Firtzgerald going 2 years ago and that they got Flacco & Sanchez in the playoffs this season

I just do not know if Tomlin has any inclination to fire Arians - he is in no danger of being offered a job anywhere else
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Can you imagine the headline? SB team fires offensive coordinator. Ain't gonna happen here.
Cowher fired Ron Erhardt after the loss in XXX because he wanted to keep Chan Gailey, who had opened up the offense in 1995 and had become the defacto coodinator, but Cowher was known to be tough on his assiatnts (Bobby April took a lateral ST coach job to get away from Cowher & LeBeau took a lateral move to the Bengals for the same rason)

Do not know if Tomlin is that cold or whom he might want to bring in, especially since the excuse will be the torn up OL ws the cause of any problems