Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Cardinals pursue Steelers assistant Butler for DC position

Cardinals pursue Steelers assistant Butler for DC position
  • By Jason La Canfora National Football League
  • NFL Network Insider
  • Published: Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.
The Arizona Cardinals are formally pursuing Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler for their vacant defensive coordinator position, according to league sources.

Butler is the coach-in-waiting behind Dick LeBeau as Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator, but he is intrigued by the Cardinals' opening and Steelers officials expect him to take it.

A Steelers source said the team likely would not block the move. Monday is the first day the Cardinals can officially approach Butler for permission to interview and they intend to do just that. Butler is close with Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt from their time together on the Steelers staff and their friendship extends beyond football.

The Steelers are hopeful that LeBeau will return for another season -- and he has indicated he plans to -- though retirement is a year-to-year proposition.

LeBeau's contract is set to expire and the Steelers would very much like to keep him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...or-dc-position

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213
Default Re: Cardinals pursue Steelers assistant Butler for DC position

I think this is bad... Butler has been a rock in getting the LB's to play.

I really did not like the play calling and the pass defense gameplan. I.E see what Rex did with vs. Tom Brady (made awesome adjustments)

LeBeau is incredible but the Defense has looked a play or two behind the for long stretches in the playoffs.

Go Steelers!
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

Wasn't impressed by LeBeau'S gameplan last night, we new what they'd do and we didn't stop it, okay the bodies we have got aren't great in the DBackfieId, but they're put in the positions to do the job, did we really think that Gay/Bmac/Clark and Troy were up to it last night?, looks like Dick did.

Problem is he's got his favourites, Clark and Farrior for instance, really think it's time for him to step down and let Butler take over. imho.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,204 Times in 3,231 Posts

Successful teams usually lose coaches - if LeBeau is not stepping down it is not unreasonable for Butler to want to step up somewhere else - Butler is another Cowher holdover so if Butler does leave it will give Tomlin a chance to further develop his own coaching staff - notice nobody is beating the door down to hire the O-coordinator

I had read DB coach Ray Horton was also being mentioned for a coordinator job but with the paly of that secondary i have no idea why
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i would rather promote Butler right now then lose him. i would hate to lose butler then Dick retire next year and we end up stuck
Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213

Exactly Pete,

Why lose Butler now? One more year of LeBeau would be awesome but losing Butler at this point is bad.

Ray Horton is a Tomlin hire and has been coaching 15 years or so. Not to be mean but he needs to go, obviously his experience and wisdom isn't translating to better Defensive backfield play. In fact they've been the de facto weak link... more importantly have we even developed on CB or SAFETY in the last 5 years?

Also, the QB coach needs to go. How come Ben got more coaching/improvement from his suspension? If I were Tomlin I'd be scratching my head for those comments from Ben. How come the QB coach doesn't speed up his release, etc.

I love Ben but I think he can take the next step to be like Steve Young and the QB coach needs to get him there. Seriously when Ben is on, he's incredible... some of those pass he makes ... wow.... then those interceptions. He had 7 Turnovers in 3 Playoff games. QB Coach needs to get an exercise or mental game for Consistency.

llama
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
jaygorius
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10909

I have to agree. Not sure if it sounds crazy but I would rather see Lebeau retire now and keep Bulter then lose Butler just to have Lebeau retire in a season or two.

I by no means want Lebeau to leave now, but let's face it he is only going to be here for a few more years at most.
jaygorius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

yep if butler leaves then horton is next in line and with him as our dc we will be a joke. i would promote butler to dc today if it was my call.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604

When will the Cardinals learn that if Pittsburgh is willing to let someone leave, then there's probably a reason. Lebeau will be around for many years to come, or at least long enough to train a replacement when he's ready to retire. Pittsburgh's LB's have been great for decades prior to Butler and Lebeau's arrival, and they will be long after they leave. If Butler wants to leave a winner like the Steelers for better job title, all I have to say is good luck and enjoy losing. Money and job titles mean nothing when your team sucks and the owner has ZERO motivation to win. All he has to do is look at how many players the Cards have left from their Super Bowl run 2 years ago. I'd rather be the waterboy for the Steelers than the DC for the Cards.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Who knows...maybe if they (the Rooneys) talk to Butler and Lebeau about it (assuming Butler is seriously contemplating going there), maybe Lebeau would decide to do the right thing and step down and allow Butler to take over.

From everything I've read before, it never sounded like Butler wanted to leave...and I love Lebeau, but you've got to figure he's only got another year or two (max) before retirement. And he certainly doesn't seem like the type to stick around, at a huge cost to the Steelers, for some kind of personal gain or glory.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote