Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Coach Cowher insists his offense won't change

Inside Slant

After passing up a chance to get the kind of big back they've long ridden to success and instead polishing their receiving game, the Steelers suddenly look like an offense in transition.

The team that ran the ball more than any other in the NFL each of the past two seasons struck for more supremacy in the air by drafting Ohio State wide receiver Santonio Holmes in the first round and Florida State wide receiver Willie Reid in the third.

Coach Bill Cowher insists his offense won't change, but those aren't the signals his actions are sent out.

"We aren't going to get away from running the football," Cowher promised. "We aren't changing our approach to the game."

Both Cowher and his offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, noted that they had to get more help in the passing game for their young quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

"I think with the quarterback that we have, the ability to put some weapons around him is important," Cowher said.

Whisenhunt added that Roethlisberger earned more opportunities to throw by his performance in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh had the chance to replace the retired Jerome Bettis by drafting USC's LenDale White at the end of the first round. After passing on him, the Falcons offered them T.J. Duckett; the Steelers were interested, but only for a fifth-rounder, not the third-rounder Atlanta wanted in 2007.

Now the Steelers' offense looks more like it's built for the old Run-and-Shoot with smaller, fast and quick receivers (Hines Ward is the tallest among the top four at 6 feet), with a fast and quick back in Willie Parker and a quarterback who loves to throw on the run.

"I think you have to give Ben an opportunity to get a guy that can stretch the field," Cowher said. "We have some guys now with Heath (Miller) being able to occupy the middle. Hines, you know what he's been able to do. Cedrick has been able to do that as well. I don't know if you can do enough of that."

It does not take a Sherlock Holmes - rather, a Santonio Holmes ? to figure out the Steelers loaded up for the pass.

"There is a possibility that we can throw the ball a lot more by the draft picks," Holmes said.

"Things happened at Ohio State the same way, we had always been a running team. After a while, we started getting some of the better athletes at wide receiver to come into Ohio State and Coach (Jim) Tressel saw that and decided to open up our offense a lot more and give us the opportunity to make more plays. Hopefully, the same thing can happen here at Pittsburgh."

NOTES, QUOTES

?WR Santonio Holmes, who wore No. 4 at Ohio State, will wear No. 10 with the Steelers. That number was last worn by Kordell Stewart in Pittsburgh.

?The Steelers mini-camp takes place Saturday through Monday (May 13-15). They will hold their spring workouts through June 8.

?Steelers coaches and officials say they aren't worried that Holmes cannot participate in their spring drills except for their three-day mini-camp. Since Ohio State does not have graduation until mid-June, none of the Buckeyes drafted this year can participate with any NFL team before then, except for one mandatory mini-camp and unless the player already has graduated. The NFL policy has been in place to appease the NCAA.

?The Steelers will receive their Super Bowl rings June 2, the same day they visit the White House.

?Duce Staley may get the first crack at replacing Jerome Bettis in short yardage behind Willie Parker, but four-year pro Verron Haynes will compete with Staley for that job.

"I think Verron Haynes is a guy that you can't overlook," Cowher said of his third-down back. "I think Verron is a guy that has been waiting in the wings. We're going to let that thing unfold. I don't have any preconceived thoughts going in. I'd like to let it play out and see where it goes from there."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I am from the South Bronx, and I had to lock myself in the closet so I can talk to you guys." ? T Willie Colon, talking to the press over the din of a party after the Steelers drafted the Hofstra player in the fourth round

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...elers/home.htm
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Re: Coach Cowher insists his offense won't change

We definitely have more weapons at our disposal, doesn't mean we'll change our philosphy but it'll definitely make everyone we play wonder what the hell we'll do from play to play. ATTENTION NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE: Be ready for us!!!! Be on your toes!!!!! BEWARE THE BLACK AND GOLD HAS MORE TEETH THIS YEAR!!!!!

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

"I am from the South Bronx, and I had to lock myself in the closet (not like Tom Cruise) so I can talk to you guys." ? T Willie Colon

Now I'm not a Big Apple homey but I can't help but like the fact that he grew up in the Bronx.

"I think Verron Haynes is a guy that you can't overlook," Cowher said of his third-down back

This cat does nothing but come through when it really counts. Problem is they don't call his number enough to know if he can become a No. 2 back. If (when) Duce gets injured then this is the season for the Steelers to give him enough time to get into a rhythm. I think he is under-utilized in the passing game.

Look. I'm praying Duce stays healthy but we need a Plan B and Plan C. And if Verron goes to No. 2 then Humes has the chance to prove he can play in the NFL.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

We're gonna do the same thing we've been doing.

We're more 50-50 pass/rush ratio in the first half,then in the second half we'll shut down Ben (unless we need a 3rd down and long pass) and run the ball down thier throats to protect the lead.

Getting Holmes just makes us that much more dangerous when we pass.If some teams were afraid of El getting past thier secondary then they are gonna sh*t themselves when Holmes does.Holmes runs nice crisp routes,he can sell a route when he is running another,and he has really good hands unlike El.

The other reciever we took,his hands are pretty good but the thing he really has going for him right now is speed,the guy is just plain fast.He'll be a special teams BEAST returning punts and being back there with Holmes while Holmes returns kickoffs.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Yeah, I think we'll play just about the same kind of football we did before, just a better, faster version of it.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Isn`t just greta to have the option to pas now, its been soooooo long
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

It will be nice to see our passing game open up just a little bit. Looking forward to seeing some big game breaking playing from Santonio.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA
It will be nice to see our passing game open up just a little bit. Looking forward to seeing some big game breaking playing from Santonio.
And with a twist on your post, I`m really anxious to see the game open up more for Hines Ward now, with Holmes as a possible deep threat, and Heath in his second year, this could be huge for Ward.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
And with a twist on your post, I`m really anxious to see the game open up more for Hines Ward now, with Holmes as a possible deep threat, and Heath in his second year, this could be huge for Ward.
I'd have to agree with you on Ward. This could open things up for him even more and possibly give him a great year stats wise.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote