Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,543 Times in 2,783 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 3 guys we need to step up next season

Crezdon Butler - I've been high on this pick since we got him, I have a feeling he would impress if given a shot. It's obvious mcfadden is NOT the answer and our #1 priority imho, would be to get a good 2nd CB to compliment ike. I feel with how this season has gone, tomlin may give this kid a shot sooner than expected. Gay and Mcfadden are good as EXTRA db's but we need a solid #2.

Limas Sweed - Last chance for him, he needs to make it count. Yes I know he peed the bed, but one thing about this guy is he gets open. He just has to catch. the. damn. ball. Hopefully he's gotten some professional help and seen a sports psychologist to help him with his mental issues. He definitely has the physical tools. The team most likely wants to give him another shot, because if not, he would have been cut instead of IR'ed. Hines ward isn't getting any younger, and despite sanders/brown's success, a clear cut heir to hines hasn't been established yet.

Keenan Lewis - All the reports were saying he's had great days in practice, but when given a shot last preseason, he totally shit the bed which killed his chances of winning the job over mcfadden or as the primary nickel back. He's got the speed and talent to become a solid corner, but he needs to keep his composure during a game. Another year of experience should help him. I predict a fierce battle between lewis and butler in the offseason. I'm sure the problem in our secondary can't be ignored by tomlin any longer, and we will have to make an upgrade over mcfadden. I'm sure we will be looking in the draft for help in this area also, but we have 2 young corners looking to establish themselves. Now is the their window of opportunity, who will make it count?
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978
Default Re: 3 guys we need to step up next season

If Sweed could catch the damn ball Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Sweed could all have a killer future (although even w/o Sweed I think they do).

However, I don't see Sweed getting many, if any, chances with Ward and ARE on the roster.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
fordfan485
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7210

What ever happend to sweed anyways. He just died off the face of the earth it seems, other players that where on IR were seen on the sidelines all season long. But honestly would he even see playing time with the depth we have at receiver now.
fordfan485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i dont see any of them ever starting
Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Id like to see Butler step up, hes the only DB who has any hope at this point, Lewis isn't gonna amount to anything. But we can't take the chance on giving him a shot, we've still got to draft a CB early and maybe they can both be our #2 and nickel...

As for Sweed, he'd still be a monster if he could catch the damn ball so I haven't given up on him, he's got the speed, height, athletic ability, and he's probably our best route runner...if he learns to catch he could potentially be our #1 guy actually...so I still havent given up on him. Last shot though...(drools over a corps of a Sweed who can catch, Wallace, Sanders, and Brown).
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,323 Times in 515 Posts

I see Lewis being cut.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,472 Times in 3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
I see Lewis being cut.
Yep - There is a reason he never sees the field as a backup DB and Anthony Madison does
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Yep - There is a reason he never sees the field as a backup DB and Anthony Madison does
I'm pretty sure he's been in Tomlin's doghouse ever since his multiple stupid personal fouls during the preseason.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

Who was that other CB they drafter along w/ Lewis? Joe somebody? The dude that dropped the easy int in a game late last year. What happened to him?
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222

I know Mendenhall has a firm grip on our "running back of the future" position, but does anyone think Jonathan Dwyer could step up next season and get some regular carries?

I know the backfield is crowded with Moore and Redman also in the picture, but I've heard at least a few people say they're not sure if Mewelde comes back next year. Dwyer has a pretty successful track record in high school and college. At some point, he should get a shot at the professional level.
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote