Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222
Default Re: 3 guys we need to step up next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Who was that other CB they drafter along w/ Lewis? Joe somebody? The dude that dropped the easy int in a game late last year. What happened to him?
Joe Burnett...he was released by the Steelers before the season started in September. He then signed a "future contract" with the Giants in January.
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Terrapin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15484

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityScotty View Post
Joe Burnett...he was released by the Steelers before the season started in September. He then signed a "future contract" with the Giants in January.
Yeah. Wondered what happened to him. Maybe they should bring back 'Beltin' Delton Hall.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,132 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Crezdon Butler - I've been high on this pick since we got him, I have a feeling he would impress if given a shot. It's obvious mcfadden is NOT the answer and our #1 priority imho, would be to get a good 2nd CB to compliment ike. I feel with how this season has gone, tomlin may give this kid a shot sooner than expected. Gay and Mcfadden are good as EXTRA db's but we need a solid #2.

Limas Sweed - Last chance for him, he needs to make it count. Yes I know he peed the bed, but one thing about this guy is he gets open. He just has to catch. the. damn. ball. Hopefully he's gotten some professional help and seen a sports psychologist to help him with his mental issues. He definitely has the physical tools. The team most likely wants to give him another shot, because if not, he would have been cut instead of IR'ed. Hines ward isn't getting any younger, and despite sanders/brown's success, a clear cut heir to hines hasn't been established yet.

Keenan Lewis - All the reports were saying he's had great days in practice, but when given a shot last preseason, he totally shit the bed which killed his chances of winning the job over mcfadden or as the primary nickel back. He's got the speed and talent to become a solid corner, but he needs to keep his composure during a game. Another year of experience should help him. I predict a fierce battle between lewis and butler in the offseason. I'm sure the problem in our secondary can't be ignored by tomlin any longer, and we will have to make an upgrade over mcfadden. I'm sure we will be looking in the draft for help in this area also, but we have 2 young corners looking to establish themselves. Now is the their window of opportunity, who will make it count?
I'm with you on Butler and Lewis and for the reasons you've stated, but I'm not sure about Sweed. Whenever I hear about a twentysomething having to see a Sports Psychologist to learn how to do something that ought to come naturally, I start having my doubts.

It certainly can't hurt to give him one last shot next preseason, but if he still can't get it together, it's time to move on.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityScotty View Post
I know Mendenhall has a firm grip on our "running back of the future" position, but does anyone think Jonathan Dwyer could step up next season and get some regular carries?

I know the backfield is crowded with Moore and Redman also in the picture, but I've heard at least a few people say they're not sure if Mewelde comes back next year. Dwyer has a pretty successful track record in high school and college. At some point, he should get a shot at the professional level.
Even though Moore did a decent job last night, I can see keeping Dwyer over him next season providing Dwyer comes to camp in shape .
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,462 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i forgot about dwyer, good call on getting him more involved
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Velvet Elvis
Water Boy

Member Number: 18079

The #1 person that needs to "step it up" is Ben . He is not earning the 100 + million he is making. I would expect more production out of that kind of cap hit. This offense was weak all year and he was the main reason.
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i'd like to Sweed go through camp one more time and see if he has hands. If so, its time to let ARE go.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
The #1 person that needs to "step it up" is Ben . He is not earning the 100 + million he is making. I would expect more production out of that kind of cap hit. This offense was weak all year and he was the main reason.
Yeah, I am was so surprised at his plays, but the offense as whole looked garbage. Was Ben wearing gloves? If he was, it's not smart to wear gloves indoors.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222

This discussion about Sweed made me also think of Tyler Grisham. He played in a game or two for us at the end of the 2009 season and is still on our practice squad.

I know it's a long shot, especially now that Sanders and Brown have emerged, but does anyone think Grisham will play another down with the team?
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i'd like to Sweed go through camp one more time and see if he has hands. If so, its time to let ARE go.
ARE is gone unless he reworks his contract regardless of what Sweed does - he is the #5 receiver and lost the punt return job to Brown
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote