Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #21
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758
Default Re: The official lets get rid of William Gay thread.

Gay is a nickel Dback, and that's where his place is on this team. hHe proved last season that he isn't a cover corner!

I think we've been getting away with having the likes of Gay/BMac/Clark back there because the challenge from the other AFC North sides in the Wideout department is pretty shallow.

Cleveland have basically nothing, the Rats have old timer Mason, slow Boldin, slower Housh and speedy Stallworth (who they never bothered with), the bungals have chad, who's consistently shut down by Ike, and Old, but wise, troublemaker Owens, who has bad games when he's in a strop!

I see all these teams especially Cincy and Baltimore re-tooling with some speed this off season, so the play of the secondary is going to have to step up.

Even if we do spend that first round pick on a corner, we still desperately need Butler to pan out and take over at BMac's spot, at least for the time being. Lewis looks a liability when ever he's on the field, and I really feel he's on borrowed time, to play corner you need to be smart, Lewis isn't.

I quite like Mundy, but as long as Dick is pulling the strings he's festering behind Clark, Clark had one good game all year!

Whatever happens, we need to see a re-deployment of Troy to a more active roll, get Ike re-signed, but everything else needs a long hard look!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

The Steelers need to realize that the days of the Zone only corner is over...if you don't have corners that can play man you have no chance...the Steelers have 1 man corner with decent speed and every time they've lost that's always been the reason, Gay and Bmac are always running AFTER a reciever, how about running with them? Stride for stride, how about that?...their first 3 draft picks should be a cover corner,O lineman, and a safety because Clark looks slower every year and Troy is starting to injure himself every other play...I just don't get how much of a genius Colbert is touted to be he can't draft a decent cover corner or O lineman? the whole time he's been in the 'burgh and all he has to show for all the corners and O-lineman he's drafted is Pouncey,Marvel Smith and Taylor?

Last edited by BKAnthem; 02-08-2011 at 06:48 AM.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #23
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

[QUOTE=BKAnthem;919179][B]The Steelers need to realize that the days of the Zone only corner is over

So true. You keep playing your DB's 30 yards off the ball you're going to get KILLED with the pass in this day and age of quick slants and middle routes. Especially by the good QB's. You are done.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #24
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

I've been yelling about this dude for a long time and I cringe whenever I see him on the field.

The problem with keeping him and blitzing him every play is that after awhile teams are going to realize that's all he's on the field for and pretty much give away our defensive play.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #25
steelersfansince78
Water Boy

Member Number: 2081

Gay has been on my shizit list since last year, when he would consistently get burned. He played like garbage against the Pack in the SB. B Mac is the other corner that must go. I wish we would've corralled Cromartie last year in the offseason before the Jets nabbed him. That would've been like getting Carnell Lake back in the fold! I do have high hopes for Crezdon Butler, as he had a monster preseason last year. I believe we are grooming him to step in for either B Mac or Gaybo next year. Let's try and pick up a Free Agent corner or look to the draft to solidify the secondary. Of more importance, however, is the O and D lines. We need to pickup one or two good lineman on both sides. Aaron Smith may retire, Kiesel's getting up there too. Colbert the genius will be scouting the talent and we will nab some gems in the draft.

AND WE WILL BE BACK IN THE SB WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3 YEARS, I PROMISE THE STEELERS NATION THAT BABY!! STEELERS FOR LIFE!!
steelersfansince78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #26
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

He's a good blitzer... which is odd because he's rarely blocked when he blitzes, even if he shows the blitz, I think he's just so small no one really notices him.

LeBeau isn't an idiot, obviously Gay has shown he's better than the guys behind him which says a lot about how little depth the steelers have at defensive back.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #27
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm always at a loss for words when this topic comes up, except to joke that it has to be his last name. William Gay is neither spectacular nor awful. He's a pretty darned good nickel corner who actually won a few games for us during the regular season.

In fact, in the past five or six games, I've seen Troy blow more deep coverage and miss more tackles than Gay. Would anyone ever suggest that we "get rid of Troy"? I'm assuming not, but there are more than enough bozos out there, who knows?

McFadden has stunk it up royally all season long, and yet I haven't seen a single "Cut McFadden" thread. Why? Last name, maybe? It's ridiculous.

You might be a communist, but you know a thing or two about Gay dudes. j/k

I agree. Gay is a heck of a nickel corner. He matches up perfectly with little slot recievers like Welker, but not so well against outside WRs with size.

What the Steelers need is a legitimate number 2 CB.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #28
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

Maybe we could pick up his relative Randall?

CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Lake View Post
He has good speed and is an excellent tackler.
Swan is spelled SWANN... just saying
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
Matt91
Water Boy

Member Number: 17785

Gay and Madison on the same side on a 3rd and goal in late 4th quarter: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Matt91 is offline   Reply With Quote