Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,064 Times in 3,066 Posts
Default Missing: Heath Miller

to avoid further hijacking of another thread, i thought this specific topic was very relevant of its own discussion. i know heath miller has been regarded more of a 6th lineman than a receiving threat this season, but spaeth did OK. especially when sanders went down, i thought it was the perfect opportunity to get heath more involved (which begs the question....

why wasnt he more involved in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i finally saw the ugliest of the ugly... heath miller was running wide open for a sure TD on the 2nd int ben tried to force to wallace.

someone dropped the ball not making miller a focal point of the offense. it was havilly regarded that all the opportunities in the world would be there for him to have a HUGE day.

maybe this was too obvious to arians. perhaps he had to outsmart and trick them by NOT using what what obviously shoulda been our most potent weapon.

i guarantee that had jermichael finley been healthy, it woulda been him carving us up instead of jordy nelson (who woulda had an even greater game had he not been hearing footsteps the whole time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You sent me back to NFL Rewind

Yep - Miller was free around the Green Bay 35 on the left hashmark and raised his hand to let Ben know nobody was near him - if Ben makes a decent throw it is 6

Going into the game everyone said you could make yardage against Green Bay by throwing to the tight end - no clue why they did not exploit that (after Arians made Spaeth the focus of the game plan for the first Jets game)

the blueprint to attack lebeau/capers fire zone blitz is a true and tried method that has existed for years.

the oilers/titan's frank wycheck used to score a td on us every single game it seemed. can anyone really remember any wr's they had when him, mcnair, and e. george were the focal point of their offense.

the jags kyle brady used to give us fits when we were trying to shut down j. smith and k. mccardell.

ravens and browns used 2 high picks to select todd heap and k. winslow jr. to try to help knock us off our afc north throne.

we traded up to draft a safety (polamalu) to help combat this and make him a dynamic focal point of our defense.

we took our own tight end with aour 1st raound pick after 2004.

this is in a time when safeties and tight ends were typically regarded as 2nd round (or later picks).

teh bengals have jumped on board using a 1st round pick on a TE.

teh recurring theme here is the importance of a TE in defeating our scheme. to get to the playoffs you must 1st win the division.

the packers killed us with finley last season. the patriots dumped moss in favor of 2 rookie tight ends who killed us this year. any guesses to what the patriots woulda done had we met again?

why want heath a more vital part of our gameplan against the mirror image of our defense?

was it so obvious that we thought it was too obvious to work?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: Missing: Heath Miller

Are you implying that we draft a receiving TE?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post

Anyways.

I agree with everything you said, Tony. We got a stud in Heath and all season he was under-utilized. I have no explanation as to why. I understand that with the state of the O-Line he had to stay in more for protection, but that's no reason to have a weapon like that in your arsenal and not fire it.

I'm not a huge Arians basher but some blame has to be given to the Offensive Coordinator. But then again, Arians was the coordinator in '09 when Heath had his probowl year. So what gives?

I have no explanation.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
lol... no.

i thought that was quite evident when i noted we spent a 1st round pick on heath miller in 2005 (and then a 3 rounder on spaeth in 07).

miller makes a ton of money. he is regarded as one of the best tight ends in the league.

what i am implying is that a great TE is an integral weapon when it comes to combating the fire zone blitz.

the steelers should be the last team to lose sight of this.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Heath is no athletic freak lol.......Hes more of security blanket type guy and someone that can get a opening and haul it in
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Has Arians answered the question you ask?

Why wasn't Heath used more often?
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Has Arians answered the question you ask?

Why wasn't Heath used more often?
i would love some accountability on the matter, but im sure he would just say the players didnt execute the call (i.e. blame ben).

kudos to ben for manning (not peyton or eli) up and taking the blame... something coaches need to do every once and a while.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i was shocked we didn't use Heath more in the SB. During the week, most of the analysts thought he would be our "secret weapon".
instead, Arians went overboard with the use of Wallace.

Backfire.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Men of Steel
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
are you serious with keeping that sig pic of parker and holmes???
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i was shocked we didn't use Heath more in the SB. During the week, most of the analysts thought he would be our "secret weapon".
instead, Arians went overboard with the use of Wallace.

Backfire.
i do agree that wallace was a main focal point (possibly to a fault), but he had just about the same statistics in the regular season as greg jennings.

this is why i cant just throw arians under the bus and not place some blame on ben.

wallace had a great TD grab and led the team in receptions. had bens arm not been hit on the 1st int, the throw to wallace coulda very well been a td completion with a perfect throw (like the one rodgers hit jordy nelson with on the packers 1st td). ben missed a wide open wallace where all he had to do was lead him to the pylon.

all good calls on paper.

i also believe that mendenhall and the running game was a much bigger part of the gameplan than what we saw. the steelers had some great rushing plays drawn up. being down 14-0 and then 21-3 pretty much neccessitated that we abandon the run to play catch up, but once we caught up, we saw some very effective runs. it was too little, too late.

i think we gameplanned to use 2 great weapons (wallace and mendenhall) and failed to adjust to miller when we quickly got behind.

the evidence shows that ben may have missed some reads and tried to force the issue at the most inopportune times. the coaches may have failed by using up all their running plays when the absense of c. woodson opened the doors to start slinging it to miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
are you serious with keeping that sig pic of parker and holmes???