Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
GBpack2010
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17949
My Mood: Busy
Default Steeler fans

Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl? Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?
GBpack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: Steeler fans

I think worse.....Our D is getting old....Too many distractions this year...Hopefully Ben gets his act together and we have a good draft and maybe well be back.....Repeating is the hardest thing to do in sports.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBpack2010 View Post
Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl?
I'd love nothing more than that...but the chances of it happening are very slim. It just doesn't happen very often with Cap based sports teams anymore.

Quote:
Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?
There are aspects of this team I think are better and worse this year compared to the '08 team.

The pass defense is worse, by far. They weren't the worst in the league or anything, but definitely nothing like they were in '08. They didn't allow a lot of points in the regular season though despite allowing (what always seemed like) a ton of yards. They were very bend but don't break in that aspect.

Run defense was actually better, but that had a lot to do with the fact that teams were throwing on the D more than usual.

Offense is kind of a wash in some areas for me. As well as Holmes stepped up in the SB, he didn't have any kind of amazing year in '08 until the playoffs hit. Wallace kind of did the opposite, but it's only his second year.

The OL was more injured this year, but played better at times...especially in run blocking. Mendy was definitely an upgrade over a declining Parker.

Ben, despite missing 4 games, I feel had a better regular season...and unfortunately a worse post season. The offense as a whole though was much better in the red zone than they had been in the past. It used to be they could move at will in between the 20's, but just couldn't get 7. They did a lot better with that this year IMO.

The TO ratio this year was out of this world. +17 in the regular season...Ben only threw 5 picks and Mendy only had 2 fumbles. Unfortunately, that didn't hold in the postseason.

ST's was better in '08 (aside from the punter), but this years ST's was better than last years. They've had trouble being consistently good in that department, but last year was just horrendous.

Sorry for the long rant lol. I'll stop there.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I think this year's Steeler team was weaker than in '08, but that had little to do with last-night's outcome... too-many off-field distractions, beginning before training camp started, then the League deciding they didn't like the way Pittsburgh tackled opposing players, combined with the loss of Holmes, who despite being a meat-head (and probably a long-term cancer), is clutch

next year, Goodell will make Polamalu, Harrison & Woodley play in stiletto-heeled shoes & French maid costumes, to minimize their effectiveness ~ early rumor has-it that Goodell will loan these players equipment from his personal collection ~ so Pittsburgh's defense will be challenged even-further
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Dude.......You guys were one play away from a loss........Just remember..........One play is minus seven points...........That is how fragile these big games are............One play, and you are watchin Ben hoist it.........Thats all it takes............................................. ..Remember.............One play..............Congrats.......
Good luck next year...........
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,149 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBpack2010 View Post
Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl? Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?
I think the potential is huge for a repeat of this year, I really do. Pittsburgh/GB are simply built for title runs. If GB can get their men back to 100% healthy and if God forbid we can actually keep an offensive line together for atleast one game can pay dividends to both our chances.

As for 2008, that defense was 10X better. The first 3 games of this season, we showed the dominance of that '08 defense but overall, 2008 and that D was lights out. I mean, teams couldn't even gain ANY amount of yardage and it was game after game after game. The only team I remember moving the ball was Tenn. Other than that, that '08 D was a PHENOM. They did what we couldn't do this year. Force turnovers (Harrison's pick 6 in XLIII.)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Steeler fans ALWAYS expect that we will be in the Super Bowl, after all, we have been in a lot of them.

As far as Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh next season, we will be there, but the general rule is that the winner falls to pieces the following season, so NO...it won't be against you.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Steeler fans ALWAYS expect that we will be in the Super Bowl, after all, we have been in a lot of them.

As far as Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh next season, we will be there, but the general rule is that the winner falls to pieces the following season, so NO...it won't be against you.
the losing team also generally falls to pieces

i hope we make it back next season and i see green bay competing for the super bowl every year for the next 7-8 years. there a very young team and its scary to think but they will only get better if they can keep this team together
Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,478 Times in 3,550 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

2008 we had a better team as far as established playmakers go, but I think this year's team has more talent.

inexperience in the WR corps really was our undoing, ben couldn't find rhythm with any of them. not having santonio hurt, bad. ben sort of relied on him for big plays all the time, and as much as I like wallace, he's not as good as tone... yet.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
2008 we had a better team as far as established playmakers go, but I think this year's team has more talent.

inexperience in the WR corps really was our undoing, ben couldn't find rhythm with any of them. not having santonio hurt, bad. ben sort of relied on him for big plays all the time, and as much as I like wallace, he's not as good as tone... yet.
Agree this teammay have more talent on offense vbut is a lesser than the 2008 team

Timmons is better than he was in 2008 and an upgrade over Foote, but there was a decline pretty much across the secondary and Hood was a step down from 2008 Smith so the D was not as good

O-line actually improved over the second half of the season and was pretty much equal to 2008, Mendy was an upgrade over Holmes, but while the current WRs have more long term talent (excluding an aging Ward) they are not the equal of 2008 Ward, Holmes an Nate W.

Ben was hurt the second half of the year and had the personal mess that impacted his ability to work with new receivers so i would go with 2008 Ben

Kicking was nominally better in 2008 - this year's punting was better than 2008 but Reed was still money as a placekicker in 2008

So the better of the 2 Steelers teams was the one with the Lombardi
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote