Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default P-G - Steelers Coaching: Key assistants now in focus

Steelers Coaching: Key assistants now in focus

The Steelers probably will have to endure more than just a loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. There is a good chance they will lose several of their assistant coaches, including one of their coordinators, as well.

The most significant possibilities involve their coordinators -- Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians -- each of whom is in the final year of his contract.

LeBeau is expected to return for his eighth season as coordinator in 2011, though not before another NFL team takes what might just be a whimsical run at his services.

But, the situation with Arians, the offensive coordinator since '07, is a bit more tenuous....

Despite running an offense that became more balanced with the production of Rashard Mendenhall and saw the quick development of young receivers Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, it is possible Arians won't be with the team next season -- a move that will dramatically affect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has been given almost total command of the offense under Arians and has developed a close personal relationship with him and his family.

LeBeau's situation could have an impact on other coaching moves, too.

The Arizona Cardinals will seek permission this week to talk with linebackers coach Keith Butler about becoming their defensive coordinator, though not before LeBeau's old friend -- Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt -- checks to see if LeBeau is willing to listen to an offer.

Nobody is expecting LeBeau to leave the Steelers because he is so loyal to his players and, in turn, beloved by them.

And he said last week, during the lead-up to the Super Bowl, "I promise you, if I'm coaching [in 2011], it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers."

That's why, in all probability, the search for a defensive coordinator will turn to Butler, who has been the linebackers coach since 2003.

But there is some question if the Steelers will grant Arizona permission to speak to Butler because of an agreement the team made with him when he signed a new contract after the '09 season.

When Butler turned down an opportunity to become defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins last February, the Steelers signed him to a new contract with the understanding he will be the "coordinator in waiting" for when LeBeau eventually retires.

Coach Mike Tomlin has always indicated that he will not stand in the way of an assistant who can better himself professionally.

But, because of the nature of Butler's new contract, it's possible the Steelers could refuse to let him interview with the Cardinals.

If that happens, the Cardinals will probably interview secondary coach Ray Horton for the position because they are seeking a LeBeau disciple to run their 3-4 defense. Horton has been with LeBeau since their days with the Cincinnati Bengals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11039/1123799-13.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758
Default Re: P-G - Steelers Coaching: Key assistants now in focus

I truly believe that them both leaving would be in the BEST interests of this Pittsburgh Steelers football team.

Whoever would come in for Arians can't possibly do any worse, that's a given!

Butler would have less loyalties to some of our fading stars, which would hopefully rite some of its flaws. Another season of 60 minutes of BMac/Clark and Farror fills me with dread!

I'm failing to see any positive reason for them to stay on?

IMHO
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

I see LeBeau sticking around for at least one more season, But Arians days are definitely numbered. There's just no way I see him staying next season. Ben just needs to realize this man is not going to be sticking around for a long time, close relationship or not he needs to go. He's sometime it, Sometimes his plays are good, but then they turn sh*tty. Bye Arians We will not miss u
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

c'mon Whizenhunt, make it a little more obvious you want to raid the entire coaching staff here. Sheez.

As close as Ben is with Arians, it may be best to part ways in his long-term best interests though.....it doesn't look like Arian's play calling is bringing out the best in Ben (maybe why he's better when he improvises)
If i had to guess, Arians will be back....but it would be a good surprise to see him let go.
I'm calling plays from the living room before the ball is snapped.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserei90 View Post
I see LeBeau sticking around for at least one more season, But Arians days are definitely numbered. There's just no way I see him staying next season. He's sometime it, Sometimes his plays are good, but then they turn sh*tty. Bye Arians We will not miss u
We need to weigh it up, . . . lose Butler because LeBeau wants one more year, or just let Butler have it now . . .

I know where I stand on it, what are the benefits of keeping LeBeau over Butler,
I genuinely want to know?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
We need to weigh it up, . . . lose Butler because LeBeau wants one more year, or just let Butler have it now . . .

I know where I stand on it, what are the benefits of keeping LeBeau over Butler,
I genuinely want to know?
Butler has it good here. He would have to think if its even a good decision or not to go out and rot in Arizona in the black hole of coaching.
His long-term looks better here....i'm sure he has to know that
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i wouldnt let butler interview. lebeau has a max of 2 years left if that and butler will make a great DC for us. arians needs to go and the new coach needs to run the offense instead of letting ben run it. the QB should have an input but the OC should make the final call and Arians lets ben make way to many calls
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

Agreed the time has come to cut the cord with Arians - if Tomlin plans to do it i would assume it will happen within the next 10 days - question is whether he will promote from within and how a contract would be signed given that assistants pay status if there is a lockout is being handled differently by different teams
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

Thrown Arians off the bridge.

As far as the Cards go, I am so tired of them it's not funny. Why not just try to change your uniform colors to Black and Gold while you're at it?
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,561 Times in 3,154 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the cards can have arians, we need to keep butler
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote