Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Post-Super Bowl thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Monday, February 07, 2011
Post-Super Bowl thoughts

Not a whole lot to say about that game.

When you turn the ball over three times and don't force any, you're going to lose.

The only amazing thing was that the Steelers didn't lose by more than six points, particularly considering they gave up a defensive touchdown.

Aaron Rodgers played a good game but not a great one.

Rodgers threw for 304 yards on 24 of 39 completions, again, not a great completion percentage.

I really thought Jordy Nelson should have been the game's MVP after his nine-catch, 140-yard game. Yes, Rodgers was throwing the ball, but Nelson consistently got open and had some good catch-and-runs.

That said, Rodgers did outplay Ben Roethlisberger slightly.

I know that will probably cause some people to scream bloody murder, but consider that Roethlisberger was 25 of 40, just about the same completion percentage. He also scrambled for 31 yards, so his yardage total was 294 yards accounted for compared to Rodgers, who didn't hurt the Steelers at all with scrambles.

The only difference was the bad interception Roethlisberger threw in the second quarter over the middle.

I give him a pass on the first pick since his arm was hit as he threw. Mike Wallace had a step on the corner and was accelerating by him. But because his arm was hit, Nick Collins was able to make an easy interception.

The second interception was a horrible read and Roethlisberger forced the ball into coverage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a big fan of any defensive package that takes Lawrence Timmons off the field to bring Anthony Madison on.

Nothing against Madison, who played OK, but Timmons is one of the team's top defensive playmakers.

Anybody notice B.J. Raji in this game?

Me neither.

I guess all the hype about Doug Legursky not being up to the task was a little overblown.

The Steelers ran for 126 yards on just 23 carries. It's too bad Rashard Mendenhall fumbled because he otherwise played a very good game.

Dumb, dumb penalty by Keyaron Fox on the final kick return of the game. That's the kind of penalty a veteran player who is the special teams captain cannot make.

Fox took an awful lot of penalties this season, again, not something you want out of your special teams captain.

Time to head into the offseason.

There will be plenty to talk about.

I've got one more radio show on Tuesday to wrap up this season and then it's time to start thinking about the draft.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Post-Super Bowl thoughts

I agree with everything but this ...

Quote:
That said, Rodgers did outplay Ben Roethlisberger – slightly.

I know that will probably cause some people to scream bloody murder, but consider that Roethlisberger was 25 of 40, just about the same completion percentage. He also scrambled for 31 yards, so his yardage total was 294 yards accounted for compared to Rodgers, who didn't hurt the Steelers at all with scrambles.
I agree with the assessment on the INTs, but overall, Ben played poorly. I don't think Rodgers only "slightly" outplayed him. The Packers receivers dropped some balls or his numbers would have been even better. Ben, despite getting relatively good protection from the O-line for once, couldn't hit open receivers on big plays and didn't even notice open receivers on key plays. I'm certainly not pinning the loss on Ben, but he did not gave a good game.

Last edited by Wallace108; 02-08-2011 at 08:18 AM.