Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default From a Packers Fan to Steelers Fans: Thank You For Being Such Good Sports

From a Packers Fan to Steelers Fans: Thank You For Being Such Good Sports
by Kevin Luljack @ 2011-02-13 2699120
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...h-good-sports/

I am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan and just want to let everyone know that having your team win the Super Bowl is even sweeter when the opponent has a strong fan base as well.

And when that opposing fan base is as classy as Steelers fans were before Super Bowl XLV, and as gracious as they have been since, it makes the experience even more rewarding and special for the victors.

The last time Green Bay won the Super Bowl, back in 1997, they defeated the New England Patriots. I lived in Wisconsin at that time and never really felt the wrath of the Patriots fan until moving down south during the following spring. Once the 1997-98 season began, and I started donning my Packers gear, the Patriots fans started coming to the forefront.

My first encounter occurred the morning of the first week of the season. I was at a local grocery store picking up some essentials for a Sunday in front of my television. In the beverage aisle, a burly gentleman in a Patriots jersey slammed into me and let me know how he felt about the Packers (i.e. that Brett Favre and the whole team cheated) and informed me that I was an a-hole. I was just amazed; I could hardly believe that this guy could still be harboring those feelings.

The encounters continued. Every time I wore anything Green Bay, I would hear from someone.
I eventually got used to it and just shrugged it off, hoping the Pack would win it again.

The Packers did make it back, that following season, playing the Denver Broncos. Their fan base was no different. The game hadn’t even been played, yet I was hearing how bad the Packers were from the Broncos fans. After they defeated the Packers, in an awesome game, the retorts just got stronger. All I do is wear the Green and Gold, support the Packers, and I hear it from everyone.

steelers-packers-fansFast forward to present day.

In the days leading up to the Big Game, like I do most every day during the season, I wore my colors. Every Pittsburgh fan I ran into had nothing but great things to say.

We would actually talk about the teams, their players, and how the game would play out. I even had conversations about how there was no way the Steelers could stop the Packers. As each day passed, another great conversation would take place. From coworkers, friends, or just someone I would run into who I never met before. We would have a quick conversation, the longest one lasting maybe sixty seconds, all of which ended with “Good luck on Sunday.”

As the last pass of Super Bowl XLV fell incomplete, and Aaron Rodgers took the final snap to clinch victory, my cell phone started buzzing as message after message came in, mostly from my friends and family, my Packer faithful. The ones that were most satisfying, however, were those from Steeler fans saying, “Great game, congrats,” “Wow, what a game, congrats, they deserve it,” “Congrats champ,” and “Aw, we almost came back, couldn’t have lost to a better team, you deserve it.”

In the days since, I have run into more Steelers fans, many of whom were also still wearing their colors. I have received handshakes and had more great conversations with the same coworkers, friends, and other new faces along the way. The most memorable new face has been Tom, working a toll booth, who mentioned he enjoyed the game. “It was truly a wonderful game” he said. “That Rodgers is just something else,” he continued. As he handed me my change he pointed to his watch, which had a Steelers Logo, and finished by saying, “Congratulations, that kid Rodgers deserves it, I enjoyed watching him play. Good luck next year, I hope we get another chance.” As I drove away, I was even happier than I was before.

I am taking the time to write this post because having your team win the Super Bowl is truly an awesome feeling, but being able to talk it about with another fan base makes it even sweeter.

Thank you Steeler Nation, for being great fans, true football fans, and even more, great people.

Hopefully we will be able to enjoy football next season.

To the owners and the members of the players association: Let’s get this done, meet and finalize this issue. Football must be played!

Packers & Steelers fan photo: AP via Syracuse.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142
Default Re: From a Packers Fan to Steelers Fans: Thank You For Being Such Good Sports

There's no shame in losing to them, and for the most part there fans are decent people.

Believe it or not fellow AFC North fans, you can be bitter without being a jackass.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392
Default Re: From a Packers Fan to Steelers Fans: Thank You For Being Such Good Sports

All the Packers fans I have met since the game have been really nice. Several expressed that they were realy worried when we got the ball back with 2 minutes left.
So kudos to the Pack and their great fans!
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
SouthTexasSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 12193

Everything about the Steelers is pure class from the owner down to the fans. That is why we have such a huge following across the globe... and why we have the most haters. I live down in south Texas and can speak from experience. I wore my Palomalu jersey and Steelers hat numerous times during the football season, and mostly received thumbs up. I found a number a closet fans that didn't have the balls to don their Steelers gear and of course gave them an ear full. It wasn't until the playoffs, and the Cowboys were nowhere to be found, did I start getting stupid comments about the Steelers cheating to win all their Superbowls, people calling Ben, Ben Rapesburger, cheapshot artists, hide all your teenage daughters.. blah blah blah. And this, from a number of friends who I thought were class acts. Funny how you spend your whole life convincing everyone you are one way, then it only takes one stupid comment to crumble your entire reputation. Things people say in the heat of battle is a true window into a man's soul. Funny enough, THIS was my number one topic I would teach on as a Youth Minister.... measure your words AND actions. And with that being said:

Having lived all over the US during my military stint, I rank the worst fans in this order.

5) Vikings
4) Cowboys
3) Eagles
2) Pats
1) Ravens
SouthTexasSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Your very welcome :)
and that's another reason I'll always be a Steelers fan -we really are GOOD sports, win, lose or draw.
once again, Congrats to the Pack on their SB win.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
grahamburgher
Water Boy

Member Number: 1149

Valentine letter from my daughter yesterday:

"... I hope the Steelers and the Packers will get along good this Valentine's Day!.. "

I think we'll all do just fine.
grahamburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,010 Times in 2,568 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

oh the irony, a patriots* fan saying ANYBODY cheated? lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Here are my rankings of the worst fans from a Steelers fan perspective:
  1. Roger Goodell
  2. Ravens
  3. Pats
  4. Browns
  5. Bungles
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexasSteel View Post
Everything about the Steelers is pure class from the owner down to the fans. That is why we have such a huge following across the globe... and why we have the most haters. I live down in south Texas and can speak from experience. I wore my Palomalu jersey and Steelers hat numerous times during the football season, and mostly received thumbs up. I found a number a closet fans that didn't have the balls to don their Steelers gear and of course gave them an ear full. It wasn't until the playoffs, and the Cowboys were nowhere to be found, did I start getting stupid comments about the Steelers cheating to win all their Superbowls, people calling Ben, Ben Rapesburger, cheapshot artists, hide all your teenage daughters.. blah blah blah. And this, from a number of friends who I thought were class acts. Funny how you spend your whole life convincing everyone you are one way, then it only takes one stupid comment to crumble your entire reputation. Things people say in the heat of battle is a true window into a man's soul. Funny enough, THIS was my number one topic I would teach on as a Youth Minister.... measure your words AND actions. And with that being said:

Having lived all over the US during my military stint, I rank the worst fans in this order.

5) Vikings
4) Cowboys
3) Eagles
2) Pats
1) Ravens
Well said my man....i especialy liked the part,Things people say in the heat of battle is a true window into a man's soul. So true......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexasSteel View Post

5) Vikings
4) Cowboys
3) Eagles
2) Pats
1) Ravens

im from jersey so i gotta trhow jet fans in there... now this is more recent with fat feet as there coach...

giant fans arent nearly as bad
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote