Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Bouchette On Sports Talk Radio - Woodley Potential FA Loss

No one is saying the obvious and that's that Harrison is the odd man out. 2011 will be James's last year as a Steeler. Woodley will be franchised for 2011 and then signed as Harrison is released before 2012. Silverback's contract was extremely back loaded with big salaries beginning in 2011 and going up every year in years 4-6. Worilds will take James spot in 2012 and Woodley will stay put.

Gibson was a possible replacement to Farrior. It's a shame we saved a spot for Smith and lost the ability to find out if Gibson could do it. Smith played his last down as a Steeler on Oct. 24th, 2010 unless he is willing to take a significant pay cut. It's a business and the Steelers conduct "business" more frugally than just about any team out there. They pay for performance. If your's declines even a little, then you are gone.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #32
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway
Vrable was never going to play here.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,255 Posts

so does silverback retire after next season? i dont think so...

wheres he going to go?

yes hes older in age, but not playing those first few years, gives him fresher legs than the average old guy....

if it is his last year then we better enjoy those 2 together leading the league in sacks again
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
I left Brown off the list because he wasn't necessarily lighting it up after he left the "Burgh. He also was starting to become injury prone (weak ankles if I remember right). He had a few decent years after he left, but I thought the Steelers had him during his best years. Lloyd wasn't just a knee, he developed staph infection. The Panthers signed him and he showed his career was truly over. Although Greg probably wasn't happy his career was over, he should feel lucky to be alive (from what the Steelers coaching staff were saying of his staph infection).
Brown was used differently in Seattle and also made a couple Pro Bowls while there.

If he had stayed here, I honestly felt he could have been a hall of famer.

I think Brown and Woodson were the two the Steelers let get away that they shouldn't have. Donahue is to blame there, I think and not necessarily the Rooneys. Woodson wanted to come back after his year with the 49'ers and Donahue said "We are not the Salvation Army".

What an asshole.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #35
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
No one is saying the obvious and that's that Harrison is the odd man out. 2011 will be James's last year as a Steeler. Woodley will be franchised for 2011 and then signed as Harrison is released before 2012. Silverback's contract was extremely back loaded with big salaries beginning in 2011 and going up every year in years 4-6. Worilds will take James spot in 2012 and Woodley will stay put.

Gibson was a possible replacement to Farrior. It's a shame we saved a spot for Smith and lost the ability to find out if Gibson could do it. Smith played his last down as a Steeler on Oct. 24th, 2010 unless he is willing to take a significant pay cut. It's a business and the Steelers conduct "business" more frugally than just about any team out there. They pay for performance. If your's declines even a little, then you are gone.
i said this same thing before this last season but i really didnt expect harrison to play as well as he did
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #36
Velvet Elvis
Water Boy

Member Number: 18079

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
so does silverback retire after next season? i dont think so...

wheres he going to go?

yes hes older in age, but not playing those first few years, gives him fresher legs than the average old guy....

if it is his last year then we better enjoy those 2 together leading the league in sacks again
Harrison already said this is his last contract and he's done. He said it SB week.
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #37
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,664 Posts

Another story today that Woodley is not going anywhere next season, whether he likes it or not, and explains why under the current CBA there is no way a contract with a new base salary could be negotiated in 2010

Woodley expects to be franchised by Steelers in coming weeks

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley hasn't been informed formally yet, but he is "fully expecting" to be designated as the team's franchise player within the next two weeks, according to a source.

The hope, on both sides, is that it leads to a long-term deal for the rising 26-year-old pass-rusher, as it has for other Steelers tagged in recent years.

Pittsburgh tagged tackle Max Starks in 2009, and signed him to a four-year deal four months later. Last year, the team was ready to tag nose tackle Casey Hampton, but it instead signed him to a three-year deal just before the deadline to franchise players and tagged kicker Jeff Reed instead.

Woodley would receive the linebacker tag salary, which is expected to exceed $10 million, but could argue that he deserves a hybrid end/linebacker figure like the one Terrell Suggs received in 2009. The defensive end franchise number is expected to come at more than $13 million.

Woodley's 35 sacks since 2008 rank fourth in the NFL, and he's one of just five players (Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware) to post double-digit sacks in each of the last three years.

Because of the 30 percent rule, it's nearly impossible for Pittsburgh and Woodley to work out a long-term deal now, since he made just $550,000 in base salary in 2010, and that number can only go up by increments of $165,000 (30 percent of his final year on the old deal) in each year of a new deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #38
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway
I always thought Brown should have stayed here. Its a great example of the "grass is always greener" somewhere else. Yeah, he may have been voted to the Pro Bowl but that was on reputation mostly. He had his best years here and was utilized to the max and probably would have been HOF material if he stayed.
He probably made out better financially and i can understand that, but he was never the player again he was here.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #39
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Based on how we have drafted, I say we don't drop any LBers--that always seems to be our #1 priority. But if we do....

We have Jason Worilds (who we have not seen much of), and another promising looking young talent-- Sly Sylvester. The few times Sylvester has entered the game, he was usually right in the "eye of the storm" and has "playmaker" written all over him, with a season or two of development time, of course.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #40
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Brown was used differently in Seattle and also made a couple Pro Bowls while there.

If he had stayed here, I honestly felt he could have been a hall of famer.

I think Brown and Woodson were the two the Steelers let get away that they shouldn't have. Donahue is to blame there, I think and not necessarily the Rooneys. Woodson wanted to come back after his year with the 49'ers and Donahue said "We are not the Salvation Army".

What an asshole.
it's pretty remarkable that Woodson is still such a huge Steelers supporter even after getting run out of town and winning a Super Bowl with the Ravens.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote