Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #41
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,207 Times in 3,233 Posts
Default Re: Bouchette On Sports Talk Radio - Woodley Potential FA Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
it's pretty remarkable that Woodson is still such a huge Steelers supporter even after getting run out of town and winning a Super Bowl with the Ravens.
That apparently was a joint decision by Donohoe and Cowher according to this long P-G article from when Woodson was inducted into Canton - where Dan Rooney stood on his departure may be one reason Woodson remained loyal to the Steelers, since Mr. Rooney was correct about the right position from which Woodson could launch the second stage of his a career

Woodson had another Pro Bowl season in 1996, his last under contract with the Steelers, but he was not the same player as before the injury. At the end, Dan Rooney said he thought Woodson should be moved to free safety but that Cowher and Donahoe believed his knee and an injured shoulder would limit him there.

"There was a lot of medical evaluation with Rod and where he was in his career and where Rod thought he was," Cowher says today. "And certainly it proved out Rod was able to play a lot longer than we thought at the time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09179/980468-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #42
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Latest series of links on Woodley's situation

Ed. B. of the P-G explains that until there is a new CBA Woodley's current base salary cannot increase by more than 30% annually in a new deal

YOU: The story pre=season was that a new contract with Woodley couldn't be worked out because there was a restriction on the amount of the increase over his current contract and the team wouldn't pay enough of a bonus to make up the difference. Now that the season is over, is there still a restriction on the amount of salary in the contract? (Before the cba expires).

ME: Thank you for remembering that. Yes, the 30 percent rule still applies so if they were to sign Woodley, they would have to give him a massive signing bonus and that ain’t happening.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ports/steelers

So the obvious short term answer is franchise Woodley? That could be a problem.

This was in PFT last summer

The final answer depends on the interpretation of Article XX, Section 1 of the current CBA. - Here’s what it potentially means: Since the CBA doesn’t expire until March 2011 and since the deadline for designating franchise players expires in February 2011, before the CBA ends, the franchise designation may be used for the 2011 season.

The key language, arguably capable of multiple interpretations, is this: “[E]ach Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement.” (Emphasis added.)

The league, which declined to provide its position on this matter beyond merely citing Article XX, Section 1 as the operative clause, would likely argue that, because the deadline for use of the tag in 2011 applies “during the term of this Agreement,” franchise tags are available for 2011. The union, which has not yet responded to our request for its own position regarding this issue, likely would claim that the qualifier “each season” makes the franchise tag inapplicable during 2011, since 2011 is not a season that falls within the “term of this Agreement.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...11-is-unclear/

Since that article ran last summer and CBA negotiations have gone nowhere, the union aparently now says with no new CBA and franchise tag designation in 2011 is void

This from Don Banks at SI.com today in his run down of the most pressing offseason issue for each AFC team

Come this year, the Patriots are expected to franchise [All Pro guard Logan] Mankins any day now, an outcome he said he would not welcome in the least. The league says teams have the right to franchise players even if there's no new CBA, but the union disagrees and says the tag will be meaningless if owners lock out players. A guy as unhappy as Mankins might just try to challenge the franchise tag in court, and could have a decent shot at earning his free agency that way. Stay tuned. My sense is this can't possibly end well. ...

Which leads to an analysis by Banks on the Woodley situation

In the case of LaMarr Woodley, will the Steelers follow their pattern of letting star linebackers go in free agency?

More than almost any other team in the league, the Steelers are hoping the NFL is in the right about being able to apply those franchise tags in this season of labor uncertainty. Because Pittsburgh will definitely use its tag on Woodley, their sack-happy outside linebacker, if that's the only way to keep him off the open market.

This isn't Joey Porter, Chad Brown, Hardy Nickerson or Larry Foote we're talking about. Woodley is only 26 and he's an ultra-productive player whose 12 sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions in 2010 would make him an extremely rich man if he were to become a free agent and open up the bidding. But during Super Bowl week, Woodley made it sound like he knows the grass isn't greener elsewhere, even saying he wouldn't mind having the franchise label applied (horrors!) and earning the median salary of the top five linebackers in the league (about $10 million in 2011). The security of a long-term deal, he reasoned, would come soon enough.

That's the kind of player the Steelers aren't about to let get away.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ons/index.html

This CBA situation is a mess that appears to just keep getting worse
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #43
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Woodley isn't going anywhere. The man has a head on his shoulders and the organization understands his importance to this club. If we let Woodley go, our elite linebacking core has a chance from going to elite to average in just a few years.

I don't think Harrison has more than a few years left, and Farrior certainly doesn't...so what happens if we lose Woodley?

That would leave our linebackers in let's say...3-4 years at Timmons, Worilds and...is that it? I'm not doubting this teams ability to draft linebackers, we know they can do that, but this is a guy we can't afford to lose. He is a Pittsburgh Steeler, and he is not going anywhere.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #44
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
Woodley isn't going anywhere. The man has a head on his shoulders and the organization understands his importance to this club. If we let Woodley go, our elite linebacking core has a chance from going to elite to average in just a few years.

I don't think Harrison has more than a few years left, and Farrior certainly doesn't...so what happens if we lose Woodley?

That would leave our linebackers in let's say...3-4 years at Timmons, Worilds and...is that it? I'm not doubting this teams ability to draft linebackers, we know they can do that, but this is a guy we can't afford to lose. He is a Pittsburgh Steeler, and he is not going anywhere.
And college basketball players claim they are never leaving early for the NBA until they do

Money talks and it should - if Woodley hits the open market some team would pay far more for him than the Steelers would or for that matter could afford to - that is why the franchise designation that needs to be tagged by Febraury 24 is key for the Steelers as well as several other teams and why I bet the NFL will insist the 2010 franchise designations are enforceable as a condition of any deal that gets done. Steelers need to do a deal before they are competing against other teams bids
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #45
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I dont know what they see in Starks that much, or maybe i missed something but, to me he's like a tree trunk out there.
The Steelers - right or wrong - place an emphasis on size and
mauling with athletic ability taking a back seat, when it comes
to the OL. If nothing else, Starks is massive, plus causes
zero trouble with attitude, etc. Pgh does place an emphasis
on being "a good soldier" with zero questioning of the staff
and ownership decisions.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #46
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Source: Woodley likely to get franchise tag

Source: Woodley likely to get franchise tag
February, 11, 2011
Feb 11 4:00 PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By James Walker
At least one AFC North player will likely get hit with the franchise tag this offseason. According to a source, Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected to get "tagged" by the AFC champions before the Feb. 24 deadline.

Woodley, 26, was one of the NFL's best bargains playing out the final year of his rookie contract. Including playoffs, he recorded 60 tackles, 13 sacks, two interceptions and made just $550,000 last season for Pittsburgh. Woodley also became the second player in franchise history to record three consecutive seasons of double-digit sacks, joining teammate James Harrison.

The franchise tag for linebackers is projected to be worth approximately $10.2 million next season. That would be a significant raise for Woodley, although labor uncertainty makes it unclear how the tag will be used once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

"I wouldn't be against it at all," Woodley said during Super Bowl week. "Whatever happens, happens. Would you like to have a long-term contract? Yeah. But a franchise tag, it doesn't matter to me."

The Steelers and Woodley, a former second-round pick, are currently hamstrung with working out a long-term deal because of difficulties with the 30-percent rule under the old CBA, which expires in March. The franchise tag would keep Woodley off the open market and would buy both sides time to work out a long-term deal once a new CBA is reached.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #47
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914
Default Re: Source: Woodley likely to get franchise tag

I'm really hoping we can locker him up to a long term deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #48
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,097 Times in 3,458 Posts
Default Re: WOODLEY- will he stay, or will he go?

since the topic of woodley is bound to be a hot topic with dozens of articles and talking points speculating on what will happen, i am gonna consolidate them all into one thread.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #49
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17896

He will stay for another year. Franchised.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #50
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,097 Times in 3,458 Posts

heres a fun thing to think about-

had the steelers taken woodley with their 1st pick in 2007 and landed l. timmons with their 2nd would anyone complain?

its the same difference now, and only a small percentage would bitch about it.

at the time, steelernation woulda probably been in an outrage hollering that he wasnt worth a 1st round pick.

the point is, there are probably 31 teams wishing they wouldve selected him before he dropped to us in the 2nd round (just look at the eagles reaching for brandon graham in last years draft).

woodley has already earned the franchise tag at least, and a multiple year deal at most.

he is more integral to our sb teams than santonio holmes was.