Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #61
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: WOODLEY- will he stay, or will he go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
if it was close i would choose the steelers but if someone offered me alot more i would walk in a second.

if your at a job you really like making $80,000 a year and someone offered you a job doing the same thing in a different place making $200,000 a year what would you do? i would go for the money
Exactly....Bottom line money

I think we have seen the best of Ryan Clark.....It's all down hill from here.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #62
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrior_roirraW View Post
Can't believe I forgot about this.

Woodley's gonna be the next.

this isn't Ryan Clark. The big difference here is the probable huge amount of $$$$$ difference that there will be. This isn't going to be just a little bit.

When it comes time for the big contract...here's the deal....if we DO step up and offer him the big, huge, Brinks truck contract, he'll stay.
If we don't and give him a so-so offer and someone (or someone'S) comes to the plate with a bigger offer (and it will likely be a LOT bigger), he goes. No question.
You're on crack if you think he's going to stay here for a lot less money "because he loves Pittsburgh so much". Not saying he doesn't like it here, because he does....but it will be an easy walk.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #63
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
this isn't Ryan Clark. The big difference here is the probable huge amount of $$$$$ difference that there will be. This isn't going to be just a little bit.

When it comes time for the big contract...here's the deal....if we DO step up and offer him the big, huge, Brinks truck contract, he'll stay.
If we don't and give him a so-so offer and someone (or someone'S) comes to the plate with a bigger offer (and it will likely be a LOT bigger), he goes. No question.
You're on crack if you think he's going to stay here for a lot less money "because he loves Pittsburgh so much". Not saying he doesn't like it here, because he does....but it will be an easy walk.
Calm down, brah. It's called optimism.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #64
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Players will take a little less to stay with a team they like. But when it comes
to several million of dollars, no, it doesn't happen - almost ever. Whatever
3-4 team with cap space will over pay for him. There MUST be a reason why
they over-drafted LB AGAIN last year. I am going to guess that between Worilds
and Sylvester, that one of them will step up and be good - maybe not as good
as Woodley week 1, but good enough that we can avoid paying top, cap killing
$ to keep Woodley. And, is it just me, or does LW disappear for games at a time?
I realize it is actually more wise to pick and choose your spots to make a huge
play, as opposed to be out of gas from going all out every play, but he seems to
just turn into the invisible man for too long and too often.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #65
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,073 Posts

Woodley also said that he's fine with franchise tag and he wants to stay here. You guys have valid points, but would you rather be a beast on a beast team or be a beast on a shit team that will never get you to the Super Bowl.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #66
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Woodley also said that he's fine with franchise tag and he wants to stay here. You guys have valid points, but would you rather be a beast on a beast team or be a beast on a shit team that will never get you to the Super Bowl.
If he sees the tag coming to hit him, there's no point in complaining about it. You know you're not going anywhere, so you might as well make nice. The boys who do complain about getting tagged tend to be either psychopaths (Haynesworth, for example) or really eager to leave their team for all sorts of other reasons (perennial losers, bad organization, etc.)

I never understood what people complained about, anyhow. Getting tagged is a guaranteed pay raise, as opposed to a potential pay raise out on the open market.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #67
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
If he sees the tag coming to hit him, there's no point in complaining about it. You know you're not going anywhere, so you might as well make nice. The boys who do complain about getting tagged tend to be either psychopaths (Haynesworth, for example) or really eager to leave their team for all sorts of other reasons (perennial losers, bad organization, etc.)

I never understood what people complained about, anyhow. Getting tagged is a guaranteed pay raise, as opposed to a potential pay raise out on the open market.
you're right. He's not going to complain about it, he can't do anything about it. Plus he'll be in the ballpark of $10 mil for the year. Then next year, assuming he has another good year, him and his agent will take their negotiations on the road , for sure.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #68
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

It seems like we over drafted on LB's becasue we knew this situation would happen. We have the Franchise tag in our back pocket. We let the young guys learn the system, tag LWood for a year (maybe two), and then let him walk for huge money.

Thinking about it though, if you tag him for a year or two he gets older and then who knows. I would love to see the guy be a Steeler for life and this gives us options. It's just my opinion and no one really knows what the FO is doing.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #69
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

Woodley would be getting a huge pay rise if he's franchised, but he's come on so quick that we're getting a ridiculous bargain on his current deal - but I think Woodley would get top 5 linebacker money in the open market and the chance to start an auction to keep pushing the price northwards. There's always the risk the market lets you down, but I can't see it happening in a normal year. Of course this isn't a normal year, and you're right about the fact that he knows it's coming, so there's no sense in kicking off about it.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #70
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
It seems like we over drafted on LB's becasue we knew this situation would happen. We have the Franchise tag in our back pocket. We let the young guys learn the system, tag LWood for a year (maybe two), and then let him walk for huge money.

Thinking about it though, if you tag him for a year or two he gets older and then who knows. I would love to see the guy be a Steeler for life and this gives us options. It's just my opinion and no one really knows what the FO is doing.
overdrafted maybe but not the right ones. who do we have as backup? Worilds and he is umproven. i seriously doubt he can actually start next season and have much of an impact. most people here cant name 1 other OLB on our team without looking. everyone talks about our depth but i dont see it