Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
MaineSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 17299
Default Question for Arians Haters

I will first start out in saying I not his biggest fan and that I understand peoples frustration. However, at this point in Ben career would it be wise to go to a new system? Also, who would we get to replace him?
MaineSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Question for Arians Haters

well.....we have a great QB and some other great personnel but we die on horrendous play calling. The offense can't get much worse. No reason with the all-star type personnel we have (Mendenhall, Wallace, Miller, Ben, etc) that we can't be putting up more points.
What are we going to do? Go from scoring 17 ponts a game to 7?

I think its a move Tomlin has to really consider.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Hire nobody and let Ben run his own "Peyton Manning" offense.

I'm serious.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I don't consider myself a 'hater' of anybody from the Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineSteelerFan View Post
I will first start out in saying I not his biggest fan and that I understand peoples frustration. However, at this point in Ben career would it be wise to go to a new system? Also, who would we get to replace him?
'IF' we are going to make a change, let's hope any possible replacement will realize if you are shoving the football down your opponent's throat via the run... just had a 6-play / all-run 50-yard drive that resulted in a TD, cutting a deficit to 21-17 midway through the 3rd quarter... and your OL (though thought to be depleted by injury) is firing-out & blowing the defenders off the line-of-scrimmage... defenders who have shown neither the ability nor the desire to stop the running game and force us to throw...

... this isn't the time to be twice-as-cute as you need to be:
dance wit' the one that brung ya
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Phantom: right on, give Ben more flexibility to change things up, some no huddles etc.

What no huddles? thats unheard of, lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
I don't consider myself a 'hater' of anybody from the Organization

'IF' we are going to make a change, let's hope any possible replacement will realize if you are shoving the football down your opponent's throat via the run... just had a 6-play / all-run 50-yard drive that resulted in a TD, cutting a deficit to 21-17 midway through the 3rd quarter... and your OL (though thought to be depleted by injury) is firing-out & blowing the defenders off the line-of-scrimmage... defenders who have shown neither the ability nor the desire to stop the running game and force us to throw...

... this isn't the time to be twice-as-cute as you need to be:
dance wit' the one that brung ya

They tried, Mendy fumbled on 1st down.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Steelerz4Life
Water Boy

Member Number: 18235

I do not hate Arians but here is my opinion of him. If we can get someone better, go for it. I would rate him as average, he is better than some people think. We could do a lot worse at OC than Arians. I think he is average.

What people are not taking into account is that he has a QB that holds on to the ball too long and who can not make quick reads like a Brady, Manning, Rogers or other top QBs.

I am not defending Arians, but all he can do is design and call the plays. From what I have seen, he is average. What I did not like was his "we do not attack people" comment. THat was not good. But, until we find someone better, might as well stay with him.
Steelerz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,397 Times in 2,722 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i don't think we need to change 'the system' much at all. what we need is a new PHILOSOPHY.

i don't think we should change the playbook drastically, but by god, I want someone in charge who will make gametime adjustments and attack weaknesses according to what the defense is giving us. THIS is what needs to change. Arians time and time again can't seem to get over his own ego and won't change, and I think that's part of the problem. He needs to go.

and I disagree with he's average. he's below average. We have a lot of talent on offense. a HOF quarterback and a pro bowl caliber running back. How we are in the middle of the pack in total offense considering the talent we have, is inexcusable.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
RosettaStoned
Water Boy

Member Number: 18154

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
They tried, Mendy fumbled on 1st down.
It was second down. Regardless, Ben threw 2 picks and it didn't stop him from calling pass after pass.
RosettaStoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,240 Times in 552 Posts

I'm not sure if it's Arians or just the whole "Steelers Football" mythos.

To me, the team seems as if part of it wants to be the old run oriented "power" football team and the other part wants to be a more modern, West Coast style pass-first offense.

I honestly think that if Arians or whoever ends up being the OC would just sit down a watch a season's worth of New England game film, they'd understand what we could really be.

Say what you will about Belichick, but he doesn't cast himself or his team into any mold and he adapts his entire style of play --- not just his play calling --- to whatever team he's facing. What I mean is that if he's facing a team with a weak pass defense, he doesn't just call more pass plays but he designs specific TYPES of pass plays to exploit specific weaknesses and even specific packages and personnel. It's a whole philosophy designed for just that one team.

Then on another Sunday, he'll show up with a completely redesigned offense and call 45 running plays --- again designed specifically for a particular opponent.

It's very much a Chameleon approach.

I think what I'm trying to say is that we need to become more versatile and more specialized and design offenses not just for the season or for an image, but for each game; a specialized "designer" approach, if you will.

I think the era of team identity based on one style or another is gone and now it's more about dialing in very specific approaches to each type of team we meet sort of like the way there are "Apps" for everything today. I don't know if Arians or even Tomlin would go for something like that, but it works pretty good for Belichick more often than not and whether you like him or hate him, you have to admire his success.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote