Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts
Default New York Times - Roethlisberger All But In Canton Even With XLV Loss?

This from today's often insightful New York Times Fifth Down Blog

Ben Roethlisberger and the Hall of Fame

Before Super Bowl XLV, many experts and pundits started speculating about Ben Roethlisberger’s Hall of Fame credentials if the Steelers defeated the Packers. Some thought that a third Super Bowl title would mean very close to automatic enshrinement; others thought it was too soon to discuss the topic, given Roethlisberger’s limited body of work.

But Roethlisberger failed to get his third ring, so the conversation is moot, right? The talkers at sports radio stations across the country were free to move on to the next meaningless debate – like whether the popcorn that Cameron Diaz was feeding Alex Rodriguez was buttered or chocolate-covered.

But should they move on?

I looked at Roethlisberger’s career – even with the loss in Super Bowl XLV – and there is a pretty compelling argument that Roethlisberger is all but in the Hall already.

I compared Roethlisberger’s career with two quarterbacks who were recently enshrined in Canton as first-ballot Hall of Famers: Jim Kelly and Troy Aikman....

One more point in Roethlisberger’s favor.

Below is a list of the 11 quarterbacks who have started at least three Super Bowls in their careers.

Player Total Wins
John Elway 5 2
Jim Kelly 4 0
Joe Montana 4 4
Roger Staubach 4 2
Terry Bradshaw 4 4
Tom Brady 4 3
Ben Roethlisberger 3 2
Bob Griese 3 2
Fran Tarkenton 3 0
Kurt Warner 3 1
Troy Aikman 3 3

Eight of those players – Elway, Kelly, Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw, Griese, Tarkenton and Aikman – are in the Hall of Fame.

The other three (Brady, Warner and Roethlisberger) are not yet eligible. But the only question about Brady’s candidacy is what color to paint the walls in the Hall of Fame’s Tom Brady wing. That leaves Warner – who is an interesting case because he was actually cut by two teams during his career – and Roethlisberger.

I think Warner will get in.

Roethlisberger will as well.

Luis DeLoureiro operates NFLStatAnalysis.net and is a contributor to the Cold Hard Football Facts.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...me/?ref=sports

Anticipating some return fire from at least cloppbeast on these observations
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: New York Times - Roethlisberger All But In Canton Even With XLV Loss?

I don't even think I want to look at that article for the moment. Not that I neccesarily agree, or disagree with the premise, it's just that Ben should have another 4-8 years to build a resume that will ultimatley decide his place in history.

But I guess what we can say at this point, it's been a pretty awesome first 7 years.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868
Default Re: New York Times - Roethlisberger All But In Canton Even With XLV Loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I don't even think I want to look at that article for the moment. Not that I neccesarily agree, or disagree with the premise, it's just that Ben should have another 4-8 years to build a resume that will ultimatley decide his place in history.

But I guess what we can say at this point, it's been a pretty awesome first 7 years.
Agreed, Zu. Even if he had won, it was too early to speculate. He's got many more years to win more rings and also to add to his stats. 10-3 in the playoffs is still pretty damn good in my book
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

if he retired today he'd be in the HOF, imo. he's broken like almost every rookie record imagineable, on top of his 2 sb wins.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

He'll be in Canton on his first year of eligibility.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post

I did not post the entire lengthy article but a part I did not post addressed the longevity issue

Roethlisberger falls short only in regular-season longevity statistics – that is, the statistics that aggregate over time, like passing yards and passing touchdowns.

However, the argument for longevity can be minimized if you break the careers of Aikman and Kelly into two parts. Aikman won his final Super Bowl in the seventh year of his career – the same number of years Roethlisberger has been active in the N.F.L. – and Kelly made his last Super Bowl in his eighth year in the league.

Both players were above-average quarterbacks – at best – in their later years. This is to be expected – players inevitably regress as they age – but the point I’m trying to make is that the years after their last Super Bowl had little or nothing to do with their first-ballot Hall of Fame status. Those later years did, however, get their career numbers to areas (for example, 30,000+ yards passing) that made the arguments for their enshrinement easier.

Their first seven to eight years were very similar to the first seven years of Roethlisberger’s career. In fact, Roethlisberger’s first seven years compare favorably with Kelly and Aikman in terms of passing yards per game and passing yards per attempt – the statistic that most correlates with points scored. He is also either comparable or better than both players in terms of touchdowns and interceptions per game.

This means that, barring severe drop-offs in production or injuries, Aikman and Kelly were in the Hall of Fame from the day they walked off the field in their last Super Bowl appearances

If Roethlisberger is even average for four to five more years – his resume will be very similar to both of these players.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...me/?ref=sports
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Steelrule
Water Boy

Member Number: 15881

IF we can keep Ben vertical for the next 3-7 years, I think we have a shot at possibly 3-4 more SB’s. It is my hope that we will win most of those.
Steelrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

How many more conversations can we have on this topic? Geeeeze!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote