Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Be careful who you blame

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Be careful who you blame

Like Neil O'Donnell before him, Ben Roethlisberger is taking a lot of heat for his play in the Super Bowl.

But, like O'Donnell, there were some key plays during the game when the Steelers' young receivers did not run their routes as expected, resulting in some incompletions.

For example, on the Steelers' first offensive series, Roethlisberger made a throw to Antonio Brown's back shoulder that the receiver didn't read correctly, continuing his route down the field. The back shoulder throw was open had Brown adjusted, but the ball sailed out of bounds, looking like a horrible throw by Roethlisberger.

And on the deep route to Mike Wallace late in the game, Roethlisberger made the throw to the spot where the ball was supposed to go - to the pylon. But Wallace cut his route off more shallow than he should have, resulting in a pass in which it looked like Roethlisberger overthrew him badly.

We also saw Wallace struggling in the two-minute offense late in the game, not knowing what the play was.

These are the kind of things that happen with young receivers - even talented ones. Sometimes they make mistakes and the quarterback takes the blame.

That's why there is a belief that receivers don't hit their stride until their third year, which shows the arrow pointing up for the Steelers' passing game.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Be careful who you blame

i know a few around here that need to read this
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,106 Times in 463 Posts

Lol I was thinking that maybe the one positive thing coming out of this loss is that we can all appreciate the 1995 Steelers a little more.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

I blame the Green Bay Packers for playing their best game of their entire season, that's who I blame.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I was saying the same thing in other threads. WRs take at least two seasons to become fully integrated into the offense. Based on other articles posted, we were not even able to run the no-huddle very much this season because of the rookies' unfamiliarity with the playbook and all the calls.

Alot of the drops we have seen from Sanders, Brown (and even Wallace) will disappear as their route running becomes second nature, and their concentration is on catching the football instead of worrying about their footwork.

I for one, am not looking to place blame for Sunday's loss. The whole team in general did not execute well that day, not just Ben, not just his receivers.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
p-s-fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18251

Also Ben's first pick was just a matter of him getting hit as he threw and the second one wasn't exactly a bad throw (bad decision, maybe)

check out my website psfwallpapers.com for steelers, penguins, pirates and pitt wallpapers
p-s-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-s-fan View Post
Also Ben's first pick was just a matter of him getting hit as he threw and the second one wasn't exactly a bad throw (bad decision, maybe)

check out my website psfwallpapers.com for steelers, penguins, pirates and pitt wallpapers
Actually I think it was more a good calculated gamble by the Packer defender. He ( Bush) was supposed to be in man coverage on Heath, but I guess he read Ben's eyes and made a great break on the ball and got the interception. so for those that claim Ben threw into double coverage that play he didn't.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
1978_steeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 18245

Unfortunately as always the QB gets to much credit with a win and to much criticism with a loss. Truth be told it was probably a combo of both WR inexperience and QB decision making that cost us #7.
1978_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978_steeler View Post
Unfortunately as always the QB gets to much credit with a win and to much criticism with a loss. Truth be told it was probably a combo of both WR inexperience and QB decision making that cost us #7.
And throw in Mendy's fumble and a couple stupid penalties on special teams.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,124 Posts

Only those that bandwagon complain about Ben. Looking at the game again, the pick 6 wasn't his fault. The O-Line couldn't stop the guy and he got hit as he threw.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote