Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 AM   #21
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: when cowhers time is up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
I would love grimm too. he would be a perfect head coach. He's got fire. Obviously cowher will be around for awhile and obviously there wont be as many coaching openings this year. But I could see parcells and holmgren quiting after this year. Shotenheimer getting fired and maybe the raven might fire billick if they have another shit year. Couldnt you all see grimm coaching dallas?
Russ Grimm hasn't shown me or anyone else anything that would indicate that he would be a perfect head coach or for that matter even a good head coach. He's got fire? A lot of former players have "fire" but they sure as h e l l wouldn't be a great head coach. Come on people! Once again some of you are looking at this through your Steelers colored glasses. We've lost far better assistant coaches to other NFL teams and most of them have not and will not even be labeled as a good head coach.

If you could put the entire Steelers organization into a pan and boil it down to a solid substance, you would find that the substance would consist of the Rooney's and Bill Cowher. They make assistant coaches and players look better than what they actually are.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 AM   #22
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
Russ Grimm hasn't shown me or anyone else anything that would indicate that he would be a perfect head coach or for that matter even a good head coach. He's got fire? A lot of former players have "fire" but they sure as h e l l wouldn't be a great head coach. Come on people! Once again some of you are looking at this through your Steelers colored glasses. We've lost far better assistant coaches to other NFL teams and most of them have not and will not even be labeled as a good head coach.

If you could put the entire Steelers organization into a pan and boil it down to a solid substance, you would find that the substance would consist of the Rooney's and Bill Cowher. They make assistant coaches and players look better than what they actually are.
and did you even know who cowher was before he took the job?????????

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 AM   #23
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
and did you even know who cowher was before he took the job?????????
No I did not and there's plenty of other assistant coaches around the NFL that I don't know and most of them will not become head coaches. I'll add this fact as well, many "unknown"- assistant coaches have been given the opportunity to become head coaches and a lot of them have failed miserably. Russ Grimm has had a few interviews but no takers. If he's not good enough to coach a lousy team like the Lions then he's certainly not good enough to coach the Steelers. He's not what I would classify as head coach material.

Last edited by Steel Pit; 05-10-2006 at 04:23 AM.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 AM   #24
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

Its way to early to be answering this question but when the day comes that Cowher steps down with his numerous Super Bowl rings and AFCN Titles( EAT THAT BUNGLES FANS) I say the Steelers will go outside the organization to get a new head coach or someone that Cowher believes can follow in his foot steps.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #25
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

2 guys coaching right now that people overlook are Nick Saban and Herman Edwards.
I keep telling people in KC they dont realize what a coaching upgrade they just got.
Vermeil lost all interest in defense after 1999. Edwards took the JETS to three playoffs.

Saban is a future coaching great. a Belichick protege, look what hed did at LSU and in one year with the Dolphins.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #26
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Here are a few thoughts on the HC situation in Pittsburgh:
- Bill Cowher will NOT coach another NFL football team
- It is possible that he could retire sooner than many think
- Dont read too much into the Whiz turning down Oakland cause that is a coaches graveyard... nobody in their right mind wants to work under Al Davis as a HC.... PERIOD.... you know who goes to Oakland to be a HC????? Desperate people hanging on at the end of their career or a guy who just wants an opportunity to gety his foot in the HC'ing door
- Russ Grimm and Whiz give us two "in house" candidates to replace Billy
- **** L. will stay as Steelers D coordinator for a long while... HC'ing during the old days in Cincy are enough to make anyone swear off coaching forever...HA HA
- All of the NC house talk is a bit unsettling but I trust that the Steelers FO will be the first informed by Cowher if he indeed plans on retiring sooner than expected... in fact they have probably had a conversation or two about it since the Super Bowl. You dont become the NFL's most stable franchise without a little planning.
- I think there is a good possibility that we could lose one of those two (Whiz or Grimm) within a season or two
- I dont think we will lose both of them... the rooneys wouldnt let that happen... especially when you consider what some other franchises are doing by generously paying assistants to keep them within their programs.

If I were Whiz or Grimm I wouldnt move a muscle... think about it... HC in Pittsburgh right now means the Rooney's above you, a borderline HOFer at D coordinator, a talented and deep roster led by the youngest QB in history to win a super bowl & the best fans in the world...... but lets just hope that Cowher realizes this and stays for another 15 years.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #27
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I agree with that point that we dont know how long he could be around. and that it could be sooner then we think. look how long this guys been a head coach maybe he could retire within the next couple years to spend time with his family. theres more to life then the gridiron you know
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #28
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
2 guys coaching right now that people overlook are Nick Saban and Herman Edwards.
I keep telling people in KC they dont realize what a coaching upgrade they just got.
Vermeil lost all interest in defense after 1999. Edwards took the JETS to three playoffs.

Saban is a future coaching great. a Belichick protege, look what hed did at LSU and in one year with the Dolphins.
I`m not sold on Saban yet. But I agree that Edwards is a great coach
Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #29
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
Who was it that said "Offense makes highlight videos, Defense wins championships"?

BuFu
Thats what I`m talking about! Defense, glad you agreed
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #30
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
theres more to life then the gridiron you know
There is. I've been there. It's not near as much fun. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Thats what I`m talking about! Defense, glad you agreed
The Steel Curtain won us four in the 70s and this year it did it again. We all know the players/numbers on our defense that shut down offenses from bein able to move (Indy comes to mind).

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote