Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Is it Colbert's fault that we lost the Super Bowl?

Hear me out.

With our second pick in 2010 he drafted Worlids an OLB and with our fourth pick he choose another OLB.

Then he brought back BMAc from the Cardnials to bolster the secondary.

It didn't work all that well and our weak secondary hurt us in the Super Bowl. If nothing else it stopped us from using Troy as he should be used by having him play deep center because B-Mac and others couldn't get it done with out help.

Would it have been better to forgo Worlids with the second pick and draft a CB or a Safety?

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we've gone LB happy to often in last few drafts and it's hurting the rest of the team.

Thoughts?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,125 Times in 4,605 Posts
Default Re: Is it Colbert's fault that we lost the Super Bowl?

alot of people wanted us to draft CB kyle wilson instead of pouncey last year.

kyle wilson pretty much sucked for the jets this season and pouncey was a pro bowler (and shoulda been 1st team all-pro). were it not for a superb year by sam bradford, he woulda been the rookie of the year (colberts 2nd since '04).

wilson, on the other hand, leaves the jets in a predicament of resigning antonio cromartie for a HUGE deal because they are still not sure wilson can get it done.

my thoughts are its definitely not colberts thought.

ben missed a read on his second int.
matthews made a GREAT read on mendenhalls fumble.

sometimes the outcome of a game really is that simple.

what colbert did had no bearing on the 2 outcomes of those plays.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

and it went far beyond those 2 plays. The Fox penalty. The Suisham ridiculously dumb FG try. The Packers being much more charged up than we were. Our D not being able to stop the pass. Troy being non-existent (again). Terrible calls by Arians. And on....and on....and on..
My instincts say that Worlids is going to become very important around here. You're right. Colbert wasn't at fault for the loss, he wouldnt' have expected Gay and McFadden to whiff plays like they did.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts

Sometimes you just get beat by another team that is at least as good.

Defense did not stop a lot of plays last Sunday (TD to go up 21-3 was due to Farrior getting beat and Clark just missing a deflection/the killer 25 yard completion on 3rd and 10 with about 6 minutes left was Taylor getting beat on a seam route that Aikman said Tomlkin had been trying to prepare for in practice all week) and Rodgers made some great passes.

There was a lot more to the loss than than the Gay/McFadden weakness that was present all season. I also am not completely sold on the theory that Troy played deep center field throughout the playoffs to cover for pass D deficiencies rather than because he was hurt. Since the pass D problems were clearly evident after the New England loss, Troy presumably should have played the deep middle after that game rather than wreak havoc in the Buffalo, Baltimore and Cincinnati games until he went down.

Steelers got lucky to even get to Dallas by missing New England and playing two playoff QBs (Sanchez and Flacco) who could not exploit the pass D problems. In Dallas the defense gave up 24 points (they gave up 21 two years ago to Arizona) which going into the game I thought would not be enough points to win - I thought the winner would have to score at least in the high 20s - Green Bay got there after the pick six that was set up by the Steelers throwing from their end zone after Mundy's ST penalty got them backed up.

Given all that, drafting a second round CB would have been a crap shoot that might not have solved the pass coverage issue given LeBeau's reluctance to play rookies. I have no real issue with taking another OLB in the second round to address future problems at OLB. Harrison is 32 and does not have many peak years left (his 4 year run from 2007-2010 is pretty long for peak efficiency) and even if Woodley is franchised getting him into a long term contract is going to be tough with the need to spend defensive side $$ on signing Taylor and Polamalu due for new contract after 2011 if Troy does not retire (do not discount that possibility - Troy does not appear to regard football as something he needs to play until he is released)
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Hear me out.

With our second pick in 2010 he drafted Worlids an OLB and with our fourth pick he choose another OLB.

Then he brought back BMAc from the Cardnials to bolster the secondary.

It didn't work all that well and our weak secondary hurt us in the Super Bowl. If nothing else it stopped us from using Troy as he should be used by having him play deep center because B-Mac and others couldn't get it done with out help.

Would it have been better to forgo Worlids with the second pick and draft a CB or a Safety?

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we've gone LB happy to often in last few drafts and it's hurting the rest of the team.

Thoughts?
I would say it's colberts fault we got there to begin with. This guy is the most underrated front office exec in the league. Look at his drafting track record. Ben, Woodley, timmons, pouncey,polamalu, wallace, sanders and heath miller. Not even counting sticking with James Harrison. And who even knows his involvement in hiring tomlin.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

I think you're forgetting that Mcfadden was playing with a torn abdominal muscle along with a myriad of other injuries.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

Just draft corners the whole draft.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Just draft corners the whole draft.
That woudl be the key......they'll prolly go for more LB.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,136 Posts

Interestingly enough, there was praise for Colbert all year for this draft, but once we lose the Super Bowl he's public enemy number 1?

We also have the Woodley/Farrior fiasco. If Woodley decided he wanted big money then he would be gone then Worilids will step in ,because he had a year to know the playbook. If Farrior retired then we have Sly to step in and once again he knows the playbook already.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

If you think that we don't rest on our four LBs as much as we do Troy, you should essentially watch replay as "film." Steelers ask a lot of their LBs, and while I agree CB needs to become a higher priority, a lot of teams would kill to have Colbert on their staff, and with good reason.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote