Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Addressing lingering questions - Few can doubt Roethlisberger's dedication now

Addressing lingering questions
Few can doubt Roethlisberger's dedication now; Rodgers moves up the rankings
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=6108379
Clayton By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Labor problems and a lockout hang as clouds over the NFL, making it increasingly harder to focus on the normal business of football after Super Bowl XLV.

But let's try anyway.

Plenty slipped through the cracks during the heat of the playoffs and ice of the North Texas Super Bowl that needs to be fleshed out a little more. There were more coaching changes than expected. Major roster decisions lurk. Some Super Bowl reflections are also in order.

Instead of laboring on labor, let's focus on the game of football as we know it while we still know it.

Although I didn't see it personally, the image of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sitting alone at his locker crying after Sunday night's loss says a lot. Before this season, teammates wondered about Roethlisberger's dedication. They don't worry about it anymore. He cares. Before this season, he wasn't dedicated in his offseason training and, although he cared about winning, he wasn't the best teammate. His four-game suspension made him grow up as a player and a teammate. He takes out his offensive linemen on Tuesdays. He's more studious of his game plans. The postgame emotion shows he put his heart and soul into this season, and I would suspect he would be even more dedicated next year.

The current count of new defensive coordinators is 13, but Hue Jackson still has to hire one in Oakland and Munchak has to find one for the Titans. The Cardinals couldn't land Dick LeBeau or Keith Butler, settling for Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton. If you wonder why offenses are staying ahead of defenses, look at the short tenures of defensive coordinators. If you take away LeBeau's current seven-year run as defensive coordinator of the Steelers, there are only 27 years of longevity of defensive coordinators with their current teams. LeBeau is the only defensive coordinator who has been calling plays for his franchise longer than three seasons. There are only two -- Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati and Brian VanGorder of the Falcons -- with three years as defensive coordinators with their teams.

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

Would it be too quick to anoint Aaron Rodgers the fourth-best quarterback in the league? I don't think so. Rodgers' performance in the postseason probably moved him ahead of Philip Rivers of the Chargers and Roethlisberger in the league's quarterback hierarchy. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are still my top three. No, I'm not going to put Rodgers ahead of Brees based on this season, but Rodgers edges out Rivers because he's taken his team deeper into the playoffs and has a Super Bowl ring. Roethlisberger has one more Super Bowl ring than Rodgers, but he's also had two off games in Super Bowls.

The final straw in Jeff Fisher's relationship with Titans owner Bud Adams was how he quietly extended the contracts of most of his assistants without Adams' knowledge, according to sources. Owners have been reluctant to do much advance financing of assistant contracts because of the pending labor problems. Fisher wasn't happy that Adams wouldn't let him add his son Brandon to the staff after he helped out while offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger was undergoing cancer treatment. The relationship was heading toward divorce.

Mike Munchak was on the list of head coaching candidates of some teams for years, but the Titans are taking a gamble jumping him from position coach to head coach. No one doubts Munchak's ability to succeed, because he is very good at what he does. He's a teacher. But having coordinating experience helps. It's one thing coaching a room a blockers. Running a 53-man room is tougher. This puts more pressure on his finding the right coordinators. Most were surprised he didn't retain Heimerdinger, an exceptional play-caller. Finding experienced defensive coordinators this late in the process isn't easy. Ask the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles. For Munchak to succeed, he needs experienced coordinators who can help make his job easier.

Andy Reid has assembled an all-star cast of assistant coaches. Offensive line coach Howard Mudd and defensive line coach Jim Washburn are two of the best in their eras and are great additions to the staff. Last year, Reid signed one of the best special teams coaches -- Bobby April. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was one of the league's best assistants last year for what he did with Michael Vick. Making offensive line coach Juan Castillo the defensive coordinator was a curious move. The reason Sean McDermott didn't work out as defensive coordinator was that he wasn't Jim Johnson, a blitz genius whose schemes didn't translate as well on paper. Johnson's success rested on his feel for the game in making the calls. Can an offensive line coach recapture what Johnson had? Hard to say.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Addressing lingering questions - Few can doubt Roethlisberger's dedication now

Lets just hope Ben puts alot of effort in the offseason, it will show next season if he does.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,399 Times in 3,688 Posts
Default Re: Addressing lingering questions - Few can doubt Roethlisberger's dedication now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Lets just hope Ben puts alot of effort in the offseason, it will show next season if he does.....
Look at him during TV interviews when he comes into camp; if he has worked on conditioning and cut down on the drinking his face will not be puffed up
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Velvet Elvis
Water Boy

Member Number: 18079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Look at him during TV interviews when he comes into camp; if he has worked on conditioning and cut down on the drinking his face will not be puffed up
Yeah most all NFLers treat the game like there is no "off season" these guys stay in shape year around. Like Its there job actually. Not Ben. He comes into camp Fat Faced almost every year with double or triple chins. I taped the super bowl and re-watched when we got home Tuesday, the interview with Ben and Bradshaw I couldnt believe how Ben looked... He had a gut , extra chin and zero tone or definition in his arms...no muscle. I agree that not all QB's are ripped but most are in shape. Not Ben. Look at Peyton he is in great shape and you can tell when you look at him he hits the weights. Ben has alot to learn about dedication !!!
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
I'm 1100 miles away, and only see limited Steeler coverage until the season begins, but from what I saw, he did look leaner & more-serious this season:
here's hoping he 'gets-it' now, and that the remainder of his career is better than what we've seen to-date

Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Yeah most all NFLers treat the game like there is no "off season" these guys stay in shape year around. Like Its there job actually. Not Ben. He comes into camp Fat Faced almost every year with double or triple chins. I taped the super bowl and re-watched when we got home Tuesday, the interview with Ben and Bradshaw I couldnt believe how Ben looked... He had a gut , extra chin and zero tone or definition in his arms...no muscle. I agree that not all QB's are ripped but most are in shape. Not Ben. Look at Peyton he is in great shape and you can tell when you look at him he hits the weights. Ben has alot to learn about dedication !!!
WTF? - Roethlisberger came into camp in shape this year (my bet is he was told to undergo alcohol abuse counseling as part of the Goodell suspension) and looked to be in better shape than previous seasons through February

I guess I missed the swimsuit competition segment of the Bradshaw interview where they showed Roethlisberger's abs and upper torso
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

It takes time to change...Its just not 8 months easy!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Velvet Elvis
Water Boy

Member Number: 18079

Quote:
WTF? - Roethlisberger came into camp in shape this year (my bet is he was told to undergo alcohol abuse counseling as part of the Goodell suspension) and looked to be in better shape than previous seasons through February

I guess I missed the swimsuit competition segment of the Bradshaw interview where they showed Roethlisberger's abs and upper torso
Yeah this really looks like he's soooo in shape ! I'm not talking about abs, how about ANY muscle tone ??? Not ZERO like Ben. images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

images.jpg
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Once you get a double chin its hard to get rid of.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Yeah this really looks like he's soooo in shape ! I'm not talking about abs, how about ANY muscle tone ??? Not ZERO like Ben. Attachment 1459

Attachment 1460

Attachment 1461
You were talking about his gut and upper arms in your last post and referred to the Bradshaw interview as proof

Post away - not my problem since I have seen enough to put you on my ignore list