Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default 2011 NFL Draft Team Needs: Pittsburgh Steelers

2011 NFL Draft Team Needs: Pittsburgh Steelers
http://nflmocks.com/2011/02/14/2011-...urgh-steelers/
AUTHOR: sayrebedinger | IN: 2011 NFL Draft | COMMENTS: None Yet |

The Pittsburgh Steelers have got to be your modern day definition of a dynasty. They have won a pair of Super Bowls since Ben Roethlisberger came into the league in 2004, and have seemingly always been in the thick of things come January. The Steelers are a team built on toughness, and they might win a lot of games the ugly way, but they still win games.

The Steelers have built one of the NFLís best rivalries with the Baltimore Ravens, and have some of the most popular players in the NFL. Like their Super Bowl XLV counterpart the Green Bay Packers, the Steelers are a team primarily built through the draft and college free agents. The team has had three head coaches in its history, and the Steelers have arguably the best fan base in pro sports. Every venue they go to, there are huge amounts of terrible towels, Troy Polamalu jerseys, and crazy Steelers fans.

Coming off of yet another solid season, what do the Steelers have to do to stay on top of the AFC?

1. Cornerback

This was a painfully evident need in the Super Bowl. Ike Taylor is a very underrated player, but outside of him, the Steelersí defensive backfield lacks star power and really lacks talent overall. Bryant McFadden was a fine stop-gap for a year, but I wouldnít be shocked to see this team address the cornerback position with their first pick, and there will be some solid guys available. Itís an area of their team that they have not really addressed with a high pick in the draft since Troy Polamalu in 2003.

2. Offensive line

The Steelers have long put off the offensive line in the draft, and lo and behold, when they finally use a high pick on a guy (C Maurkice Pouncey), he becomes a stud, and an All-Pro in his first season. Now, this is not to say that Pittsburgh needs a guy to come in as a rookie and be an All-Pro, but they could use help all along their line except for center, and I could see them actually going after Maurkiceís brother Mike in the first round to play either of the guard positions.

3. Kicker

Getting a little nit-picky here, but the Steelers do have a bit of an issue at the kicker position long term. I think they could look to one of the top kickers in this draft, a guy like Alex Henery from Nebraska or Kai Forbath from UCLA.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
imwithrooney
Water Boy

Member Number: 18262
Default Re: 2011 NFL Draft Team Needs: Pittsburgh Steelers

Their biggest need clearly has to be at the offensive line. But hasn't that been the case for like the past 4-5 years? It seems like they just shrug their shoulders every time they pick and just assume Big Ben's mobility will rescue them again.

He actually was OK in the SB in terms of protection, but he was still pressured quite a bit. Pitt needs to finally realize this is a major need.

I like this team needs breakdown, as they mention a pairing of the Florida Pouncey brothers: http://nflsoup.com/?p=7617

What do you guys think about that?
imwithrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,911 Times in 4,515 Posts

i think the majority on this board favor that. i mean he is a clone of markice, which means all other teams pretty much know what they'd be getting with him which is a pro bowl calibur rookie starter.

his brothers play (for a sb contending team) had to have increased his draft value.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I just saw one mock draft having Pouncey going at 29 to Chicago Bears. I thought to myself, if he lasts that long, I'd hope we'd trade up and get him.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerohio View Post
I just saw one mock draft having Pouncey going at 29 to Chicago Bears. I thought to myself, if he lasts that long, I'd hope we'd trade up and get him.
I've seen Pouncey go a lot higher than that!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote