Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Chuck Cecil to Interview for Pittsburgh Steelers Secondary Coach[

Chuck Cecil to Interview for Pittsburgh Steelers Secondary Coach
http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/201...econdary-coach
by Jimmy on Feb 16, 2011 4:00 PM CST in NFL News

John Clayton is reporting, via Kuharsky, that Chuck Cecil is going to interview for the Pittsburgh Steelers secondary coaching vacancy. Cecil is a good defensive backs coach. He just wasn't ready to be a defensive coordinator.

If Cecil were to land a job it would be a break for Bud Adams because Adams would only have to pay him the difference between his salary with whatever team he coaches for and what his salary would have been with the Titans. So no one is more excited to hear this news than Bud.

I like Cecil, and the thought of him working for the Steelers makes me a little sick, but I am glad to see that he is at least getting an opportunity to interview for a job. He still has some good coaching years ahead of him, and there really isn't a better coach to learn how to be a coordinator under than Dick LeBeau.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: Chuck Cecil to Interview for Pittsburgh Steelers Secondary Coach[

Chuck Cecil is in his 10th season as a Titans coach and his second as defensive coordinator.

In his first season at the controls, Cecil continued the tradition of great run defense, which finished the season 11th in the NFL, while dealing with a number of injuries early and late in the season. Tennessee ranked eighth in the league in interceptions (20) and second in interceptions returned for touchdown (4). Over the last three years, Tennessee ranks third in the NFL in interceptions (62) behind Green Bay and Baltimore. Over last 10 games of the season, the Titans earned an 8-2 record as the defense ranked 11th in the league in scoring defense over that period.

In 2008, as the secondary coach, Cecil oversaw a group that developed into one finest in the NFL, as three of the four players (Finnegan, Hope, Griffin) were invited to the Pro Bowl for the first time in their careers. It was the first time in franchise history that three players from the secondary represented the team in the Pro Bowl. Overall, the defensive backs collected 19 interceptions, which ranked second (Green Bay) in the NFL in interceptions by a secondary. The Titans ranked ninth in pass defense and seventh in total defense.

In 2007, the secondary recorded 14 interceptions and the team total of 22 ranked second in the NFL. Rookie safety Michael Griffin and second-year cornerback Cortland Finnegan took significant strides and solidified their starting roles. Griffin recorded three interceptions, the most by a Titans/Oilers rookie safety since Bubba McDowell recorded four in 1989.

In his time coaching safeties (2004-06), Cecil oversaw the transition of the Titans safeties from a traditional "in the box" strong safety and deep free safety into a system that requires an all-round player that can play either spot and creates a defense that is more flexible. Under his direction, safety Chris Hope emerged as a consistent playmaker and the undisputed leader of the Titans secondary. He registered career highs in tackles (128) and interceptions (5) in 2006.

Cecil originally joined the Titans coaching staff as defensive assistant coach in 2001 and was promoted in 2004, to work with the safeties and nickel backs.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coa...e-c4b0b0daee13
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

sounds like a good secondary coach for us
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

Hell No!!!! I live in Tennessee and he is awful for any kind of defensive coach and is classless too!! He flipped off the refs earlier this season. I wouldnt trust him as far as I could throw him!!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Velvet Elvis
Water Boy

Member Number: 18079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler4life1972 View Post
Hell No!!!! I live in Tennessee and he is awful for any kind of defensive coach and is classless too!! He flipped off the refs earlier this season. I wouldnt trust him as far as I could throw him!!!
Sounds like Ben will have a new buddy if comes to Pittsburgh.
Velvet Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

I dont like it. The Steelers need somone who can teach the players how to cover.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
I am sure you have a little more insight to him than the rest of us. I know he appears to be very passionate and 3 of his DB's went to the pro bowl a couple of years back. It does concern me about the "flipping " the refs off and those type of antics but I wonder how much of that is the product of frustration at the way the Titans seasons have been the last couple of years. I am not sure what kind of organization the Titans are but they don't seem to be a very stable one. Coming to the Steelers with the way we do business might be a good thing, after all it apears the consensus around the league is he is a very good DB coach.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:

Good. Maybe we can get someone in here with some passion, since we had zero in the SB.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Yeah. I think he was a little dirty as a player. He was always known as a big hitter, but I seem to remember a few dirty plays. Maybe some forearms getting thrown around. The flipping the bird is another issue. That's not in the Steelers coaching code. Stoic, calm, focus is. I mean as a DB coach we can probably land him cheap since the Titans will cover whatever we underpay his salary from last year. Give him 1 year trial, if he doesn't improve the secondary then he can leave.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote