Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Draft a corner.

There are 3 o4 projected 1st rounders and none are likely to be there when we pick at #31. Is this the year we make a move up a few spots to grab the last one of these guys? Keep in mind by doing this we would also likely leave the Ravens out in the cold as they are also in the market for a corner early in the draft. I'd love to see us slide a spot or 2 in front of Baltimore and (stealer) their corner.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Default Re: Draft a corner.

To trade up and get a good rookie starter at CB, we would have to give something really good up. We could trade one of our players to make room in the salary cap (depending on what that cap will be) to sign that type of guy. I'm thinking Farrior or Foote. We have some young guys who could step into that role (Worilds or one of quite a few we signed up for off-season). Farrior is getting old and Foote isn't producing like he used to. Plus it would open up around 3 mil for either one from the cap. There are plenty of teams who need a good LB. This is just one scenario, but it is unlikely in The Steelers organization for them to trade up in the first round. We will probably take an OL if one of those CB's aren't there at pick 31.
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,583 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
To trade up and get a good rookie starter at CB, we would have to give something really good up. We could trade one of our players to make room in the salary cap (depending on what that cap will be) to sign that type of guy. I'm thinking Farrior or Foote. We have some young guys who could step into that role (Worilds or one of quite a few we signed up for off-season). Farrior is getting old and Foote isn't producing like he used to. Plus it would open up around 3 mil for either one from the cap. There are plenty of teams who need a good LB. This is just one scenario, but it is unlikely in The Steelers organization for them to trade up in the first round. We will probably take an OL if one of those CB's aren't there at pick 31.
we didn't even start troy in his 1st year. if we draft a cb he won't be a starter in the 1st year barring injury.

i like lebeau, but HATE how he will never play his rookies.

young players NEED game time to grow. emmanuel sanders and antonio brown grew as the season went on because of the game experience. hate to say it but lebeau can learn something from arians here. put some young talent in the secondary.

Last edited by Fire Arians; 02-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

we wont take a corner in round 1. the top few will be off the board and the steelers are going to pick the best player left. unless jimmy smith slips which i seriously doubt will happen we will take whoever is the best player on the board. i see us grabing an LB or defensive lineman then a corner in the 2nd if someone decent is avaliable
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

This is a deep cornerback draft, one of the deepest in recent memory by most everyone's estimation. Translation: there's no need to overpay for a quality corner. Any of the top 10-15 cornerbacks this year can and should be solid starters by 2012 at the latest. This list is just one of many, but all of the top 12 will be pretty much the same no matter who's making it:
  1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 212.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    Projected Round (2011): Top 4 Pick.
  2. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 200.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
    Projected Round (2011): Top 10 Pick.
  3. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
    Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.
  4. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    Projected Round (2011): 2.
  5. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 189.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
    Projected Round (2011): 2.
  6. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 180.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-3.
  7. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
    Height: 5-9. Weight: 181.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
  8. Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 185.
  9. Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 185.
  10. Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 187.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-4.
  11. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 200.
    Projected Round (2011): 2-4.
  12. DeMarcus Van Dyke, CB, Miami
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 168.
    Projected Round (2011): 3-5

If the Steelers really wanted to do so, they could have two of these guys with their first three picks, get an O-lineman with the other and feel pretty good about their draft.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265

If Jimmy Smith is still available at 31, take him.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Id love to see Jimmy slip to us as well but maybe we need to move up in the 2nd..not the first to get our CB and take BPA with 1st round.

Only two I could fathom moving up for, if any, in the second round might be Jimmy or Aaron Williams.

I think A. Williams is moving up boards though so he might even be gone before we make our first selection.

Saw somewhere via the internet.. pittsburgh website as well but cant remember which one that Steelers are saying they have some interest in Pouncey.

It wouldnt be horrible but we shouldnt get hung up on the whole twin brother thing here.

No bump here though...back to CBs
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265

It depends on what we're looking for. Jimmy Smith is REALLY good in man coverage and isnt afraid to tackle. To me he would be perfect since everyone is hating on Gay right now for not being able to cover 1on1
Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,583 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTime55 View Post
Id love to see Jimmy slip to us as well but maybe we need to move up in the 2nd..not the first to get our CB and take BPA with 1st round.

Only two I could fathom moving up for, if any, in the second round might be Jimmy or Aaron Williams.

I think A. Williams is moving up boards though so he might even be gone before we make our first selection.

Saw somewhere via the internet.. pittsburgh website as well but cant remember which one that Steelers are saying they have some interest in Pouncey.

It wouldnt be horrible but we shouldnt get hung up on the whole twin brother thing here.

No bump here though...back to CBs
if pouncey falls to us we will definitely pick him. it's just the question of if he will or not. and it's looking unlikely, thanks to his brother performing so well. he shoulda entered the draft last year where he was expected to fall to round 2 or 3, we might have got them both lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
if pouncey falls to us we will definitely pick him. it's just the question of if he will or not. and it's looking unlikely, thanks to his brother performing so well. he shoulda entered the draft last year where he was expected to fall to round 2 or 3, we might have got them both lol
I have difficulty seeing a guard drafted before our slot. You need to be All-Universe as a guard to be drafted in the first round, seems to me. Pouncey's good, but I see him falling to us, or even early second round. Last year exactly one guard went in the first round - Iupati 17th overall - and given that it was the 49ers drafting him, there's a good argument to be made that he was a reach.

The year before the first guard - Andy Levitre - waited until the middle of the 2nd, and the next guard taken - Louis Vasquez - waited until the middle of the third. Previous years have similar results. The occasional Faneca comes by every decade, but otherwise you simply don't trade up to get a guard... and we certainly won't do it this year.

I'm seeing us draft Pouncey, then a corner (one of the Texas corners or Carmichael), then either a MLB or another corner. Where's that Carnac jpeg when I need it?