Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers anxious to fill coaching position

Steelers anxious to fill coaching position
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_723454.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 18, 2011

For the first time under coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers must replace a key member of their defensive coaching staff.

Secondary coach Ray Horton's departure last week to become the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator under Ken Whisenhunt marks the first significant loss on that side of the ball since Tomlin took over in 2007.

With the NFL Scouting Combine scheduled for Feb. 23-March 1, it's important, though not imperative, that the Steelers hire Horton's replacement before front-office members, scouts and the coaching staff depart for Indianapolis.

This should be a considered a plum job. Horton parlayed his gig with the Steelers into a major promotion.

Here are some potential candidates:

Chuck Cecil: Has reportedly interviewed with the Steelers, according to ESPN.com. Spent past two seasons as Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator. Also served as Tennessee's secondary coach from '07-08 and safeties and nickel backs coach from '04-06. Fiery individual who played safety and was considered among the most vicious hitters in league history.

Lionel Washington: Washington coached Oakland's defensive backs the past two seasons. He was let go earlier this week when the Raiders hired Hall of Famer and former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson. In his first NFL coaching stint, Washington was a nickel back/cornerbacks assistant with Green Bay from '99-08 before being replaced by former Steelers assistant Darren Perry. Played defensive back for 15 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, Denver and Raiders twice.

Donnie Henderson: One of Horton's first moves as Arizona's defensive coordinator was replacing Henderson and making longtime Cincinnati Bengals assistant Louie Cioffi his new secondary coach. Prior to the Cardinals, Henderson coached Jacksonville's defensive backs in '08 and had brief stints as a defensive coordinator with Detroit and the New York Jets.

Corwin Brown: Departed New England after only one season as secondary coach focusing on safety play. Also coached New York Jets secondary and was an assistant under Charlie Weis at Notre Dame.

Joe Woods: He's been Minnesota's secondary coach since '06, where he followed Tomlin from Tampa Bay. Tomlin was the Vikings' defensive coordinator for one season before taking over the Steelers; it was rumored that Woods would join Tomlin in Pittsburgh at that time. Woods is expected to have an expanded role under Vikings coach Leslie Frazier. He recently interviewed for the Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator opening that went to Juan Castillo.

Notes: The Steelers re-signed six players from last season's practice squad, including wide receiver Tyler Grisham, defensive end Sunny Harris and safety Damon Cromartie-Smith. Other practice players to re-sign with the club include tight end Eugene Bright, linebacker Chris Ellis and tackle Kyle Jolly. Wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Pittsburgh native who attended Woodland Hills and West Virginia, also signed ... Defensive end Brett Keisel, whose long beard received national acclaim during Super Bowl XLV, will host "Shear the Beard'' on Feb. 24 beginning at 7 p.m. at the Diesel Club Lounge on East Carson Street to benefit cancer programs at UPMC's Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. Celebrity barbers will be on hand to shave Keisel's beard.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers anxious to fill coaching position - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1EHeV1xmQ
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default Re: Steelers anxious to fill coaching position

if people think we are "upgrading" our coaching staff by supposedly dumping ray horton, they are sadly mistaken.

he is as smart as a whip and one hell of a coach. look for arizona to show improvements on the defensive side of the ball next year.

with the list of candidates above, i think we gotta go with cecil, who shows the most experience. i woulda prefered rod woodson, but him moving his family across country was out of the question.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,359 Posts

cecil... how is it not an upgrade? the secondary wasnt great... but i've seen other coaches do more with less
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if people think we are "upgrading" our coaching staff by supposedly dumping ray horton, they are sadly mistaken.

he is as smart as a whip and one hell of a coach. look for arizona to show improvements on the defensive side of the ball next year.

with the list of candidates above, i think we gotta go with cecil, who shows the most experience. i woulda prefered rod woodson, but him moving his family across country was out of the question.
I would not say we dumped Horton. The man had a chance for a a promotion and took it and I can't fault him for that. If fact I wish him the best of luck because he will need it coaching in one of the cesspit organizations of the NFL. That being said I do agree it will difficult to replace him but I have faith that LeBeau and Tomlin, who must know every defensive coach in the NFL, will choose wisely.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I could use a new job!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,359 Posts

im 22, played dback in college.. i think i could teach mcfadden a thing or 2 and if not worse case scenario i become a player/coach and lead the team in picks
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,229 Times in 3,615 Posts

Quote:

he is as smart as a whip and one hell of a coach. .
Maybe so, although that apparently is not as crucial to getting a job in Arizona as having worked in Pittsburgh.

Hard to belive if Butler was the best guy for the Arizona job Horton was the second best available coach

FWIW the P-G was reporting after the 2009 debacle that Horton was rumored to be on thin ice with Tomlin, which Gerry Dulac confirmed ina chat this week

Gerry, a year ago either you or Ed reported that Ray Horton was in danger of not being welcomed back, now he's the defensive coordinator of Pittsburgh West. Any thoughts on his reversal of fortune?

Gerry Dulac: You're right, we both reported that because that was the situation at the time. The uncertainty was whether Horton would come back to the Steelers because he was interviewing for other jobs in college football. Now he is the defensive coordinator for the Cardinals. Go figure.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-21611
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
MaineSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 17299

Quote:

Personally, I would not have taken Woodson, its one thing playing the position and another actually coaching it. Its a gamble for the Raiders plain and simple.
MaineSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
SteelerJay
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16041

I don't care for any of the candidates posted, except maybe, Joe Woods.
I would like to see a net new guy from the college ranks get a shot, a future head coach, like how Tomlin was hired at Tampa as their DB coach. Tomlin is probably thinking he could find somebody like that.
SteelerJay is offline   Reply With Quote