Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Wow, a NEW Steelers Front Office???!!!

I found this information on the Jags website. It was a recent Q&A with their senior editor. He had some interesting thoughts on the new Rooney in charge... I wanted to get some opinions on his opinion.... here it is:

__________________________________________________ ________________________
Broc from Annamoriah, WV: Can you explain what the Steelers are doing with Marvel Smith? He is making the NFL minimum in salary each year but they are spicing it up with bonuses. How does that work and is it a smart move?

Vic: In my opinion, what the Steelers are doing is a formula for disaster. They are re-structuring contracts by turning salary into signing bonus, which allows that signing bonus to be spread out over the life of the contract. It's what sunk the Jaguars. The Steelers are tight against the salary cap for two reasons:

1.) They threw around a lot of money a couple of years ago to keep their team together, and some of that money was wasted on guys who are no longer with the team.
2.) Ben Roethlisberger reached incentives in his rookie season that are going to cost the Steelers about $4 million in unexpected cap room in 2005.

I figured '05 would be a ?step back? season for the Steelers, as they got their cap back on firm ground for '06. That would've been Dan Rooney's approach, I'm sure, but Rooney turned the team over to his son a couple of years ago and the son apparently is not a chip off the old block. The son believes it's time the Steelers win another Super Bowl and he thinks his team has what it takes to do that. So, with that in mind, he's pushing money onto future caps for the purpose of keeping players such as Jeff Hartings, whose salary spikes this year. Hartings was recently re-structured, too. The Steelers got some help from Jerome Bettis, who agreed to another monster pay cut, and the Steelers aren't re-structuring to the point that they're going to kill their cap, but these aren't the Steelers I know.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Don t really know what to make of this ... but he does have a point Rooney Jr. does seem to have a slightly more proactive approach to the family business.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Wow, a NEW Steelers Front Office???!!!

i WONDERED myself if we were mortgaging the future, but we seem to stay really good over long periods of time. Lets hope we will continue this with JR
Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

i've always wondered about the steelers salary cap situation myself. We arent the redskins we dont dump millions into the free agent market every year. Our steeler model is built through the draft we dont have a grip of superstars are overrated overaged players "see the choakland faiders"
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

When was this article published? It's got elements in it that make me believe it was just published, but this guy apparently doesn't know we won the Super Bowl, or that Bettis retired.

I also believe the Steelers received some relief from the league in Ben's bonuses last year, because there are bonuses that are expected to be reached that count one way against the cap, and bonuses that aren't expected to be reached, and Ben's certainly fell into the latter category.

All in all, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Not real sure of the publishing date... I was just trying to find a list of the players salaries for the upcoming season and found it.... thought it might interest some on this site
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

I want to hear more about this. Not only because I was always under the impression that the Steelers are team that doesn't overpay to keep players who they deem "superstars" but rather moderately pays players that other teams would not even consider usin and the Steelers system turns them into superstars with how they are used on the team. I would hate to see the Steelers fall down to the bottom on the league in future years because of this. Keep me updated.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
When was this article published? It's got elements in it that make me believe it was just published, but this guy apparently doesn't know we won the Super Bowl, or that Bettis retired.

I also believe the Steelers received some relief from the league in Ben's bonuses last year, because there are bonuses that are expected to be reached that count one way against the cap, and bonuses that aren't expected to be reached, and Ben's certainly fell into the latter category.

All in all, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this...

And the Steelers Org is smashing records with their merchandising which will without question spill over into this season.

And the new deal raised the cap limits.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

i dont see how could be recent because our salary cap for next year beore signing some back up players we were around 15 million under for 07 .... we were tight this year until the cap increased and we got some breathing room to sign Clark... but i have never heard anywhere we were in trouble in the future so i would have to think was based on last years team because at the end of the season we were very tight agaisnt cap.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

That makes no sense at all to me. By the time the deadline hits, most teams are tight against the cap, the steelers are restructuring people and spraeding their bonus money out, but gesh, they aren't giving these guys 10-15 mill in signing bonuses, it's more like a couple million up front pro-rated over the rest of the term ...ok, say you do that too 3-4 guys, what is that 8-10 million over 3-4 years ...how is that a formula for disaster?

That article seems really old.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Plus you haveto remember we signed our own played to mediocre deals and didnt bring in anyone and paying them out the ass. I seriously recall being wayyyy under the cap for next year because we have Porter, Troy, Haggins, Taylor and a few others i am sure to make secisions on after this year and is why we are so far under cap. If we wernt ... there would be no way that we could keep any of them. PLUSSSSSS... we didnt draft a high first round pick and with no second round pick... all of our draft picks are very cheap as well. Plus Plus... Staley and hartings could be gone after this year as well... so i really think that the article had to be very late in season and maybe for this upcoming year we are a lil tight but have most everyone signed with nobody really left but rookies and a few back up F/A if we choose but i would hardly call that morgaging the future.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote