Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers face decision on Taylor

Steelers face decision on Taylor
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_724152.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Steelers have several unrestricted free agents, but cornerback Ike Taylor is likely to attract the most attention from other teams.

A six-year starter, Taylor has never missed a game because of injury. He has started three Super Bowls and is among a handful of corners to have won two Super Bowls as a starter.

The Steelers still control Taylor's rights. They can use the transition tag on Taylor until 12:01 a.m. Friday, when he becomes a full-fledged unrestricted free agent. At that point, Taylor can sign with any team.

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead.

It's uncertain if franchise tags and transition tags will be part of the next collective bargaining agreement. That could be why the Steelers designated linebacker LaMarr Woodley as their franchise player last week.

Woodley, according to the current CBA which expires after March 3, is a restricted free agent because he is a four-year veteran; four-year players are considered restricted free agents under the current deal.

If the owners try to declare a negotiating impasse to continue operations as usual under the old deal, they'll want to continue normal business. If the owners are successful in achieving that strategy, the union will want to return to the first years of the collective bargaining agreement and not just the final, uncapped year.

"LaMarr, under the current rules, is a restricted free agent. He and Willie are in the same boat," agent Joe Linta, who represents five-year veteran and free-agent tackle Willie Colon, said before the Steelers gave Woodley the franchise tag. "The Steelers still have rights to tender them under the rules of an uncapped year."

Instead of giving Woodley a tender offer which is normally done for restricted free agents, the Steelers gave him a franchise tag.

Woodley and Colon will become unrestricted free agents if the new CBA honors the rules that were in place prior to the uncapped year.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers face decision on Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1El8htBGK
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Steelers face decision on Taylor

we better use the transition tag on Taylor if we cant sign him because without him there is no way we will make the playoffs
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

hes over rated
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor179 View Post
hes over rated
I don't agree. I think he may be under rated. He fits our system very well. Big, physical corner who can match up well with other teams #1 wideouts. Sure tackler. Gives up underneath stuff but rarely gets beat. He's not an all pro guy but he's a top 10 corner in my opinion. I'd hate to tag him. I believe transition tags give him the avg. of top 10 salaries at his position. WIth some big CB contracts out there I think that will give Ike a pretty large salary this season. I'd rather lock him up for 4 years and then work on a better option at #2.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
gameface75
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14591

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor179 View Post
hes over rated
Thank God somebody else sees the light.
gameface75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
gameface75
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14591

mgha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers face decision on Taylor
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_724152.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Steelers have several unrestricted free agents, but cornerback Ike Taylor is likely to attract the most attention from other teams.

A six-year starter, Taylor has never missed a game because of injury. He has started three Super Bowls and is among a handful of corners to have won two Super Bowls as a starter.

The Steelers still control Taylor's rights. They can use the transition tag on Taylor until 12:01 a.m. Friday, when he becomes a full-fledged unrestricted free agent. At that point, Taylor can sign with any team.

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead.

It's uncertain if franchise tags and transition tags will be part of the next collective bargaining agreement. That could be why the Steelers designated linebacker LaMarr Woodley as their franchise player last week.

Woodley, according to the current CBA which expires after March 3, is a restricted free agent because he is a four-year veteran; four-year players are considered restricted free agents under the current deal.

If the owners try to declare a negotiating impasse to continue operations as usual under the old deal, they'll want to continue normal business. If the owners are successful in achieving that strategy, the union will want to return to the first years of the collective bargaining agreement and not just the final, uncapped year.

"LaMarr, under the current rules, is a restricted free agent. He and Willie are in the same boat," agent Joe Linta, who represents five-year veteran and free-agent tackle Willie Colon, said before the Steelers gave Woodley the franchise tag. "The Steelers still have rights to tender them under the rules of an uncapped year."

Instead of giving Woodley a tender offer which is normally done for restricted free agents, the Steelers gave him a franchise tag.

Woodley and Colon will become unrestricted free agents if the new CBA honors the rules that were in place prior to the uncapped year.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers face decision on Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1El8htBGK
Ike Taylor is not worth a high price tag ,he is slightly above average as a cover corner.I think its time for the Steelers to consider at least talking to Asoumgha,and see what they can work out.The Steelers have all to often settled for low level cast offs ,but this guy is a proven cover guy .With our defense he and the rest of our defense would improve.The Steelers could release a lot non-productive players and use that money for a few better players.
gameface75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,368 Times in 4,305 Posts

the raiders just maid richard seymore the highest paid defender in the league. namdi will want more.

its not gonna happen here.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface75 View Post
mgha

Ike Taylor is not worth a high price tag ,he is slightly above average as a cover corner.I think its time for the Steelers to consider at least talking to Asoumgha,and see what they can work out.The Steelers have all to often settled for low level cast offs ,but this guy is a proven cover guy .With our defense he and the rest of our defense would improve.The Steelers could release a lot non-productive players and use that money for a few better players.
It's nice to dream, but that will never happen. The Steelers are not going to pay top dollar for a corner at this point. Taylor is good and won't command top dollar. I'm not sure I would use the Transition tag because it would overpay him (he would be paid the average of the top 10 corners and therefore, would be around the 5th or 6th highest paid corners ... he's not in the top 6 IMO).
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

surprised we haven't signed him yet. yeah i wouldn't use the transition tag on him, he's not worth top 5 money. we should pay him what he's worth though, which is around what he's made last year.

we will make the playoffs with or without taylor. with him our secondary still got torched in the sb, and remember, despite 3 turnovers from the OFFENSE, we still had a chance to win this game in the last 2 minutes. Even if we lose taylor, the story of next year's success will be how much the young wr corps have grown up and gelled with ben.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

We need Ike. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise?? Who do we start of he isnt with us, McFadden and Gay??!! With Butler, Lewis and Burnett as the 3rd, 4th and 5th DB's? Or, even worse, a rookie somewhere in there? Ike is a great fit in DL's system. I think he would actually be exposed going somewhere else. PLEASE sign IKE!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote