Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default LaMarr Woodley signs tender

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley signed his franchise tender, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Woodley becomes the first player to sign a franchise tender. The players' union has questioned the validity of franchise and transition tags with the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire at the end of the day on March 3.

A league source told Schefter on Tuesday that Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil, who also received a franchise tag, plans to sign his tender as well.

Call me happy!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: LaMarr Woodley signs tender

By the way I know some on this board will moan about this, but not me. For one thing LaMarr deserves 10 million next year simply for the fact that he's played the last 2 seasons for well under his market value without complaint. Also I think it's obvious that this is a guy who loves being a Steeler and probably will retire a Steelers if circumstances allow for it.

I really think LaMarr's best football is ahead of him, and I'm glad it looks as if it's going to be as a Steeler!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

I honestly believe, that we will negotiate long term with LaMaar, and remove the tag.

The Pittsburgh Steelers confirmed outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley has signed his franchise tag, a move NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier on Wednesday.

Woodley, 26, made $550,000 last season, the final year of his rookie contract. His salary, as a tagged linebacker, is expected to exceed $10 million next season. That's assuming that franchise tags are measured similarly and exist in a new collective bargaining agreement.

The Steelers hope the designation could lead to a long-term deal for Woodley, as it has for other Steelers players tagged in recent years.

Woodley recorded 50 tackles and 10 sacks last season, along with two interceptions and three forced fumbles.

NFL Network insider Albert Breer reports that one reason Woodley signed his tender, and Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil said he plans to sign his, is the threat that fourth- and fifth-year players could be stuck in the same situation they were during the 2010 offseason.

The high tender for fourth-year players last year was $3.168 million, and that means Woodley and Kalil, fourth-year players, would be subject to lose approximately $7 million if the franchise tenders are not signed and the 2010 rules roll over.

The union has advised agents and players that franchise tenders are meaningless without a new CBA, but it hasn't argued against players taking care of themselves in such "insurance policy" type of cases.

For Kalil and Woodley, an elimination of franchise tags would lead to free agency, and if the standard of free agency is raised to where fourth-year players wouldn't be unrestricted, both would have signed guaranteed tenders that would almost certainly be more valuable than their restricted free-agent tenders.

The league has advised teams that they have until 4 p.m. ET Thursday to tag players.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
I honestly believe, that we will negotiate long term with LaMaar, and remove the tag.
By signing the franchise agreement so quickly I think Woodley is sending a signal he would like to stay for the right price.

There is no way a new CBA will not enforce the franchising of any player being tagged this month but if Woodley wanted to send a signal he is out of Pittsburgh ASAP he could have declined to sign and instead be forced back for one more year once the new CBA is signed.

But Woodley still will expect to get paid market rate for a new contract even if he does not squeeze the Steelers for every $$. Hard to see how Timmons, Woodley and Polamalu get paid without a major salary dump somwhere else - I am coming around to the view that will be Harrison.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
By signing the franchise agreement so quickly I think Woodley is sending a signal he would like to stay for the right price.

There is no way a new CBA will not enforce the franchising of any player being tagged this month but if Woodley wanted to send a signal he is out of Pittsburgh ASAP he could have declined to sign and instead be forced back for one more year once the new CBA is signed.

But Woodley still will expect to get paid market rate for a new contract even if he does not squeeze the Steelers for every $$. Hard to see how Timmons, Woodley and Polamalu get paid without a major salary dump somwhere else - I am coming around to the view that will be Harrison.
I'd hate to see us "dump" Harrison but I think he's only Solid for about 2 more years. That's why we make the move on Woodley now.

I love Troy...but he gives me the sinking feeling that he's about 2 seasons away from just hanging them up, buying an island and living out his life with his family never watching another snap of Football...just got that feeling about the guy.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
bubbletownwr88
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17882

what the hell does a franchise tender mean??
bubbletownwr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

This is how Woodley could have responded to having the franchise tag applied if he did not have an interest in staying

The agent for New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins claims the club unfairly has jacked around his client. ...

"Everything with New England is built on leverage and using the system," Bauer told the Herald. "Everything is leverage. This is one of the greatest guards they've had in the history of the place ... John Hannah was the other one.

"I think it's a travesty what they've done to the kid. There's a lot of people in the NFL going 'How do you treat one of your great players this way?' "

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ision-travesty
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

so will woodley live up to his 10 mil? will we have more stretches of games where he is MIA? will we see harrison on his side of the field making the plays? will woodley be manhandled by TEs? will he show improvement in areas of containment? for 10 million he better play 10 million times better.