Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,652 Posts
Default Steelers place first-round restricted tender on OT Colon

http://burgh.us/388

looks like he is higher priority than flozell.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Default Re: Steelers place first-round restricted tender on OT Colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
looks like he is higher priority than flozell.
Makes sense. After all, Flo has 8 years on him.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Is the 1st round pick we would get good for this year or next? Having two 1st round picks this year could help our situation immensely.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

More Willie Colon, Flozell Adams and Right Tackle News
Posted on March 1, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...s-tackle-news/

The NFL and the Players Association are still fighting over which side gets the largest chunk of a pie filled with billions of dollars, and it’s just about ready to bring the NFL offseason to a complete stop. That said, there’s still some news trickling out of the madness, and a bit more on the Steelers right tackle situation.

Willie Colon’s future with the team has been a topic of discussion over the past week, with mixed messages about whether or not he’ll return. Basically, it comes down to he won’t be back. Unless he is. And that’s where we stand.

On Tuesday, NFL Network’s Jason La Confora tweeted that the Steelers placed a first-round restricted free agent tender on Colon. That, of course, is pretty important news, but could also be completely worthless in the long run depending on what sort of free agency rules come with a new CBA. As La Confora points out it’s possible that under the new rules (whatever they may be and whenever they’re finally put into place) Colon could be an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with the highest bidder.

In semi-related news, ESPN’s Adam Schefter mentioned this morning in a Tweet that Colon’s injury replacement in 2010, Flozell Adams, could be on the cut list this week. When the Steelers signed Adams prior to this season my expectations were somewhere between this is going to be a disaster, and at least a false start won’t result in the quarterback getting blown up.

When all was said and done Adams not only exceeded my expectations (and the expectations of just about everybody), he became somewhat of a rallying cry leading up to Super Bowl XLV, getting the jersey treatment on the trip to Dallas that had previously been reserved for Steelers legends like Jerome Bettis and Dick LeBeau. Nobody saw that coming.

Still, Schefter’s Tweet is interesting given that a week ago Tuesday Mike Tomlin said that he would like Adams to be back with the Steelers for another season.

I’ve mentioned on more than one Steelers Lounge Podcast that it wouldn’t shock me to see the Steelers cut Adams loose, even after his impressive season, simply because he carries a $5 million salary next season. Plus, given the choice of Colon or Adams at right tackle, I still think I’d prefer to see Colon manning the position in 2011. He’s not only eight years younger, I simply like him more as a player at this point. He’s come a long way in a short amount of time and was perhaps the best player on the line in 2009, which is why his season-ending injury was thought to be such a damaging blow.

I may be in the minority, but I really don’t hate the possibility of Colon and Max Starks serving as bookends on the offensive line with Maurkice Pouncey anchoring it in the middle. Starks and Colon aren’t great by any stretch, but they’re not exactly turnstiles, either. Plus, it’s safe to assume that no matter who the Steelers suit up on the line, they’re going to give up a lot of sacks simply due to the style of play coming from the quarterback position (as J.J. pointed out over at our former stomping grounds, the majority of the sacks on Roethlisberger this season were on passing plays where he held on to the ball for more than three seconds. The median “sack time” across the league was 2.7 seconds).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

So Colon is inked for one more season........unless they change the rules of the CBA or somebody outbids us for him?? I'm confused.

Either way, I thought Flo might be the guy on the outs, especially if you consider that Jon Scott, Chris Scott and Colon can play RT....plust a rookie OT that might be at #31 could always start too. Guys like Brian Bulaga and Phil Loadholt have done that the past couple years. I hope maybe Gabe Carimi slides to #31.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Steelers offer Colon 1-year contract

Steelers offer Colon 1-year contract
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Steelers offered a one-year contract to right tackle Willie Colon, though it may not be valid after NFL owners and players reach a deal on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Joe Linta, Colon's agent, said he received the offer the Steelers made to Colon as a restricted free agent Tuesday. It's similar to the one Colon signed last year, when the Steelers put a first-round tender on the player who had started 54 consecutive games at right tackle from 2006-09.

Colon received $2.198 million last year but missed the season after rupturing his Achilles tendon.

The Steelers would have had the right to match any offer made to Colon before he signed. If another team had signed Colon, it would have had to give the Steelers a first-round draft pick in return.

That provision is in the latest contract the Steelers have offered Colon, but the deal didn't come with a dollar amount, reflecting how tenuous it is for several reasons.

The unsettled labor situation the NFL is moving inexorably toward its first work stoppage since 1987 has cast questions on the devices teams use to keep their players from becoming unrestricted free agents.

Also, Colon has accrued five seasons of NFL service, making it likely that the 6-foot-3, 315-pounder will be an unrestricted free agent after a new CBA is in place.

If Colon is an unrestricted free agent, that would nullify the offer the Steelers made to him as a restricted free agent

Read more: Steelers offer Colon 1-year contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1FPqNt0d1

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

its kind of a pointless move and it just delays things for him unless they plan to resign him. once a new CBA is reached there is a good chance things will go back to the way they were were you need 4 years instead of 6 to be unrestricted and Colon will walk.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Tuesday, March 01, 2011
So much for that theory

The Steelers on Tuesday offered offensive tackle Willie Colon a one-year tender contract at the first-round level.

So much for the theory that the Steelers were going to let Colon go as a free agent because he was too close with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

It also pretty much puts to rest Colon's agent's statement that the offensive tackle has played his last down with the Steelers.

It's highly unlikely any team will go after Colon in free agency when they would have to give the Steelers a first-round pick in return, particularly since he is coming off a ruptured Achilles' tendon.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
its kind of a pointless move and it just delays things for him unless they plan to resign him. once a new CBA is reached there is a good chance things will go back to the way they were were you need 4 years instead of 6 to be unrestricted and Colon will walk.
Ed. B. of the P-G concurs and also states the Steelers have treated Colon shabbily. IMO that presumably increases the probability he will walk if he gets any offers

The Steelers were merely protecting themselves with Willie Colon just in case the new CBA keeps him as a restricted free agent, even though he’s put in five years in the NFL. That’s as likely as a CBA getting done by Thursday. As agent Eric Metz told me Tuesday, there is no way that the union will allow free agency to extend beyond a player’s first four years – unless he’s under contract for longer. Players became unrestricted after four years since 1993 and they are not going to go backwards with that.

Management had to advise teams to tender players whose contract expired after four and five years because that is what the teams did Tuesday. The Steelers, by the way, have done this in secret without an announcement.

Colon has been treated poorly by the Steelers. This is the third straight year they have tendered him as an RFA, which is a record. They did so without ever trying to negotiate a multi-year contract with him. Either they want him or they do not. They could have at least tried at some point to negotiate a multi-year contract with him. They should have done so last year at this time.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-moot-exercise

I know they do not want to pay Flozell $5 million, but if Colon and Adams both leave the Steelers have real problems at RT
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I say sign Flozel to another one year deal, I bet he'd rather play for us then some other loser team. He'd take a cut in pay, not break our bank anyway just to get another shot. Its not like our Roster has turned completely over. We are still a great fcking football team and with our Coaching Staff entact and the QB, WRs, RBs and Defense all pretty much coming back (pending Taylor) we have a great shot at making another run. Heck, we weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs last year, and once again, everyone and their brother is already likeing the Ravens to win the North next season...so where can Flo go where he'd really have a great shot at getting back to the SB and actually winning it? Its not like the Pats or Colts or Ravens or Giants or Packers or Cowboys or Eagles or Saints or Falcons are locks to get there...