Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Hines Ward on Dancing with the Stars: 的知 in it to win it. I want to win that tr

I thought Hines did a terrific job! Great story about his Mom, great dancing, black and gold outfits and terrible towels flying....what more could you ask for in a dance show???!!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Hines Ward on Dancing with the Stars: 的知 in it to win it. I want to win that tr

For Ward, it's eat, sleep, dance

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hines Ward took a break from a different kind of practice to which he is accustomed, tugged at his pant leg and revealed a white sock with black rings that he bought recently while celebrating his and former Steeler Jerome Bettis' birthdays in Las Vegas.

Words on the sock carried Ward's current mantra: Eat. Sleep. Dance.

"That's really all we have time for," the Steelers receiver said Friday morning, about 12 hours after he was presented with the Art Rooney Award at the Westin, Downtown.

Ward and professional partner Kym Johnson spent much of the rainy day inside Art & Style Dance Studio on the South Side working on the paso doble, a lively dance step modeled after the drama of Spanish bullfights that they will perform Monday night on "Dancing With the Stars."

The pair have emerged as early favorites to win the competition. Since the premiere, they have inspired judges to wave Terrible Towels. They have also prompted past and current Steelers such as Franco Harris, Jerome Bettis, Rashard Mendenhall, Antwaan Randle El and Larry Foote to fly to Los Angeles for a live viewing.

Linebackers James Farrior and James Harrison and offensive tackle Max Starks are expected to be in the audience Monday.

"For them to come out and show their support," Ward said, "I guess they're impressed."

The support Ward has received from fans, he said, rivals what he has gotten during a decorated playing career.

"We're getting lots of e-mails and messages about how great he is doing, so there's no question Steelers Nation is paying attention," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "It's fun to watch. I haven't watched that many dance shows, so it's a little different for me."

Ward's performing on "Dancing With the Stars" was almost a year in the making -- his business manager gauged his interest prior to the start of the 2010 football season -- but before last month, Ward said, he hadn't danced since college.

"I had never done a dance routine before. I was surprised at how quick I could pick it up," Ward said. "Sometimes (Johnson) thinks I've taken some lessons somewhere because I just react to it."

"You're an athlete, and you're really agile and smart," Johnson said while sitting next to Ward at the South Side studio. "You pick things up quick."

Watching the two off the dance floor makes it easy to see why they have so much chemistry on it. They have known each other less than a month but have the same give-and-take in conversation as they do while dancing.

Johnson throws back her head and laughs when Ward explains how his frequent use of slang confuses the Australian dancer, and it is not uncommon for the two to finish each other's sentences during an interview.

Johnson said she didn't know Hines Ward from Ward Cleaver when she learned she had been paired with him. She used Google to research Ward, who holds just about every major receiving record in Steelers history.

Ward, though, felt compelled to show her another side of him on the football field, one in which he plays to the whistle. That is how Johnson ended up watching a video of Ward flattening Ravens safety Ed Reed with a block in a 2007 game.

"I said, 'I can't imagine you being so aggressive on the field' because he's so sweet and gentle and really humble," said Johnson, who danced with former NFL defensive tackle Warren Sapp in 2008.

As much as Johnson has gotten to know Ward -- the two are together almost every day for at least five hours of practice -- she didn't understand why he wanted to incorporate a Terrible Towel into their routine last week.

"I was worried people would think you were off to clean some tables," Johnson said in her distinctive accent. "Now being in Pittsburgh I see how important the football team is to the city and how much they love Hines."

Johnson accompanied Ward for his two-day trip to Pittsburgh so they could practice before returning to Los Angeles today. All went well, though Johnson nearly got Ward's man card revoked Thursday night while they were at a South Side bar.

"There was a jukebox and all of the songs were cool, and the next thing I know Barry Manilow (starts playing)," Ward said with a laugh. "I kind of put my head down."

That is one of his few complaints about Johnson, who is as meticulous as any coach Ward has had. In addition to guiding him through practice and different dance steps, Johnson choreographs their routines.

Their attention to detail is one reason Ward and Johnson have enjoyed success on the show.

Johnson said she has trouble sleeping because she is always thinking about the next dance she has to choreograph. And Ward said he frustrates Johnson, at times, with his need for perfection.

Earlier this week, Ward refused to move to another part of their routine until he mastered a step that had been giving him trouble.

Eat, sleep and dance, indeed.

As his confidence grows, Ward said he would like for Lynn Swann to catch his act in Los Angeles. After all, they now have more in common than excelling at receiver for the Steelers.

"I see why Lynn Swann did ballet because it definitely helps your footwork," Ward said. "I'm trying to reach out to Lynn. I would love for him to come out there."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: For Ward, it's eat, sleep, dance - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1J1z6uI1b
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #23
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Steady on his feet, Steelers' Ward shines

By Dan Stefano
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 12, 2011

As tough and gritty as they come in the NFL, Hines Ward is a throwback to classic era of football known for leather helmets, bloody knuckles and knock-'em-flat hits.

Turns out the Steelers receiver is smash as a classical dancer, too.

In Week 4 of "Dancing with the Stars" -- dubbed Classical Week -- Ward and partner, Kym Johnson, earned their second straight score of 25 (out of a possible 30) for their smooth Paso Doble routine Monday night. The pair received a nine from judge Carrie Ann Inaba and eights from Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli, with their total placing them in second for the night, one point behind the duo of Disney star Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas.

"You are the most determined of all of our celebrities," Goodman said. "You come out every week 100 percent. Keep it up. This competition, the longer it goes, the tougher it gets. Work hard because you are really doing great."

Upon ending their performance -- one punctuated with pyrotechnics throughout -- Ward and Johnson garnered a standing ovation from the crowd, including Ward's Terrible Towel-waving Steeler teammates James Farrior, James Harrison and Max Starks.

But the crowd turned to boos when the pair's scores came in, seemingly expected higher marks from Goodman and Tonioli.

"You were in the zone, my friend," Inaba said. "You nailed it."

Not unlike Ward's comments before his Week 2 Quickstep routine, the Super Bowl XL MVP expressed some reservations in practice for the paso doble -- Spanish for "two step" -- as shown an introductory clip. Saying he succeeded in previous weeks by timing his steps to lyrics, Ward thought dancing to a live orchestra would provide a challenge.

There weren't any false steps once he hit the stage.

"It was very tough," Ward said in his post-dance interview with Brooke Burke. "I had never listened to classical music before, but it was awesome."

Dan Stefano can be reached at dstefano@tribweb.com or 412-380-5697.

Read more: Steady on his feet, Steelers' Ward shines - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1JJKkc1OE
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

This just in from the Blah, Blah, Blah news wire:

Later in the night, Ward scored a perfect 30 on a solidly executed crack back on Ralph Macchio. Judge Len Goodman originally gave a score of 9 stating Ward did not get low enough in the hips, but subsequently changed his score to a 10 when it was learned Macchio will be out for 3 weeks with a concussion. "Sometimes it's easy deducting points because you felt the form wasn't perfect, but the overall performance really nailed the spot and hey, Mr. Ward's smile after that hit really helped sway my vote!" declared Goodman. In a post-hit interview with Brooke Burke, Ward said "Karate kid or not, that dude has to learn there's more than just being light on your feet .... you gotta keep your damned head on a swivel. Wax-off Danielson!".

Roger Goodell, after reviewing tape of DWTS, decided Ward led with his head. He immediately fined James Harrison $75,000 stating "He obviously hasn't learned his lesson."
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Hines Ward and Kym Johnson are looking more and more like champions. I loved the music and Hines killed it!

bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,123 Times in 1,981 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Hines and Kym are safe for this week. WTG Steelers Nation!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
Tx777
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14928

My wife has been maxing out the vote limit on every phone she can get her hands on lol
Tx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
Steeler13
Water Boy

Member Number: 18357

I don't watch the show either, but the athletes usually do really well. Bodog has Hines listed as the favorite.
Steeler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,123 Times in 1,981 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

STEELERS NATION ALERT!!!

Hines Ward will be dancing the Rumba during an All-American theme tonight at 8:00 on ABC. Plz show ur support by calling 1-800-866-3403 and/or by voting online at abc.com. AT&T customers can also text "vote" to 3403. HERE WE GO, HINES, HERE WE GO!!!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote