Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Defending Hines Ward.....

Thank god for Sports Illustrated. Before I found out about the Hines Ward story, I was all set to write 2,000 words on why Barrett Brooks and Lee Mays are the two most underrated members of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Instead, I can now respond not only to the SI article, but to various ancillary Ward-related topics that emerged as a consequence.

Even before reading the piece, I could recite Ward's upbringing from memory: His dad was an African-American serviceman stationed in South Korea. He married a Korean woman, whose family shunned her as a result. They had a son (Hines), moved to the United States, split up, and after living with his father, Ward moved in with his mother. Initially, Ward was embarrassed by his Asian roots, but eventually grew to embrace them. He was a high school football phenom, and played well enough at the University of Georgia to be considered a legitimate NFL prospect. He wasn't drafted until the third round because he (a) didn't have one true position in college, and (b) didn't have any knee ligaments (or so the story goes). In Pittsburgh, Ward excelled on special teams, and through hard work and stick-to-it-iveness, he eventually became the team's all-time leading receiver despite having to fight for his job virtually every year. In 2006 Ward won the Super Bowl MVP, returned to his homeland a hero and everyone lived happily ever after. Or something like that.

Writer Karl Taro Greenfeld basically follows this outline in the SI piece save two little paragraphs:

And while it would seem that the hard-nosed Ward would be the ideal Bill Cowher guy -- tough, physical, intense -- the wideout says he's never had a warm relationship with him. "I don't have anything to say to him," he says. "After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?
Cowher denies having anything but respect for Ward. "Our decision to draft other wide receivers was not a reflection on Hines Ward," he says. "We had lost a couple of our top veterans, and we were just trying to strengthen that position."

So let me get this straight: Hines Ward doesn't have a warm relationship with his boss.

Okay, this is bad ... really bad.

First, somebody call Geraldo. He'll know what to do. Next, we'll need to get the terror threat thingy bumped up a couple of colors because this is serious. Finally, Jesse Jackson will need to organize a protest march through downtown Pittsburgh and demand Cowher's resignation.

Or maybe we can all take a deep breath and relax.

What exactly did Ward say that was so outrageous? That he wasn't close to the head coach? Big whoop. Raise your hand if you're close to your boss. (Put your hand down Tony Micelli.)

Ward's comments about feeling disrespected after Troy Edwards and Plaxico Burress were back-to-back first-rounders in 1999 and 2000 are revealing. They reveal that he's a very competitive person who uses such things as motivation. Fans may view this as whining or complaining, but I see it as a means for Ward to prove his doubters (perceived or otherwise) wrong.

Look, we all can agree the front office reached on the Edwards pick. Nobody thought it was a great pick on draft day, and as time passed our initial doubts were only reinforced. But anyone who thinks the Steelers didn’t have a need at wideout is kidding themselves. In 1998, Ward’s rookie season, these were the team’s top pass-catchers:

Name Rec Yds TD
Charles Johnson 65 815 7
Courtney Hawkins 66 751 1
Will Blackwell 32 297 1
Hines Ward 15 246 0

Yeah, a real Who’s Who among future Hall of Fame wide receivers. Not even Carnac could’ve predicted Ward’s future success, so for the Steelers to try and upgrade this group seems perfectly logical. Now one can question the team’s judgment on who could best fill that need, but with hindsight being 20/20 and all, it looks like there wasn't much to work with. Edwards was the third wideout off the board (13th overall) after Torry Holt and David “Barryoids” Boston, and the picks that followed were just dreadful. There were two second-rounders: Kevin Johnson and Peerless Price, and the rest were third-rounders whose career peaked on draft day: D'Wayne Bates, Marty Booker, Karsten Bailey and Travis McGriff. After Holt, there isn’t a decent receiver in the bunch until you get to the seventh round, when the Packers selected Donald Driver.

In Ward’s second season, he posted very similar numbers to Edwards:

Name Rec Yds TD
Hines Ward 61 638 7
Troy Edwards 61 714 5

I don’t know if the coaches realized early on that Edwards wasn’t the long-term answer (his rookie season numbers certainly didn’t indicate he would be the next Marcus Nash), or if the idea of having six-foot-five Burress as the deep threat while Ward and Edwards manned the underneath stuff seemed too good to, ahem, pass up. Whatever the case, the Steelers took Burress with the 8th overall pick in the 2000 draft.

You know, by this point it’s easy to see why Ward might’ve felt slighted by the organization. One first-round receiver is one thing; two in two years is something else entirely. The Steelers couldn't have been less conspicuous if they sent Ward and his teammates the following memo:

Our current collection of wide receivers is awful. Ryan Leaf awful. "Major League: Back in the Minors" awful. The Pittsburgh Steelers will make every effort to improve the position, which means that no job is safe. And yes, we're looking right at you Hines Ward.
- Management

Obviously, things didn't happen like this, but I can see how Ward might use the arrival of Edwards, and then Burress as motivation. Sure, Ward was a third-round pick and had one good season under his belt, so he probably was in no real position to complain. And here’s the thing: He didn’t. We know now, six years later, that he wasn’t crazy about the whole deal, but at the time we didn’t hear a peep. Instead, Ward went out and posted another 600-plus receiving season to go along with 48 catches and four TDs. Burress and Edwards combined to catch 41 passes for 488 yards and zero TDs.

Here’s what the Post-Gazette’s Ron Cook wrote in November 2000 after the Steelers spanked the Bengals 48-28 during a Week 13 game:

“… It's no coincidence that happened about the time Cowher started playing Ward, Hawkins and Shaw more and Edwards and Burress less. He had been rotating Edwards with Ward and Burress with Hawkins in the regular offense, but he used Ward and Hawkins almost exclusively Sunday.… In a sense, it can't be easy for Cowher to sit Edwards and Burress -- and not just because of their salaries. They figure to be the team's future long after Hawkins, for instance, is gone. They aren't getting better on the bench.
But it might end up benefiting the Steelers as much in the long run as the short run. Maybe it will make Edwards and Burress work harder to get better. Maybe it will make them realize they have to -- quoting Cowher -- "seize the opportunities that come along."

There’s an idea: working harder to get better and seizing opportunities that come along. Sounds a lot like Hines Ward. Burress or Edwards? Not so much.

And I don't mean to dump on Burress (I actually liked the guy when he was in Pittsburgh), but the fact that Pittsburgh traded Edwards before the 2002 season for a sixth-round pick, and let Burress walk after the 2004 season says a lot about how they felt about Ward.

And then there was last summer, when Ward staged a mini-holdout while he angled for a new deal. The Steelers, as they are wont to do, didn't budge. The organization made it clear that if Ward wanted to re-negotiate his contract, he'd first have to show up for training camp. Ward eventually relented, showed up, and the two sides reached an agreement.

During the whole ordeal there were predictably those fans who called Ward selfish or greedy, and said he symbolized all that was wrong with the modern-day athlete. These are probably the same people who boo Santa Claus and think Carrot Top is funny.

Look, heading into training camp last year, Ward was coming off his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl, but his salary cap hit ranked 37th among NFL wide receivers. Thirty-seventh! I think it's okay if the guy asks for a raise. And once he and Cowher had a chance to talk, Ward showed up -- still without a new deal -- and prepared for the regular season like he'd done in every previous season.

And this last sentence leads me to wonder the context of Ward's comments when referring to Cowher in SI piece. When Hines finally reported to training camp last summer, here's what he said:

"For me, I needed to hear that from my head coach, this support -- that's all a player can ask for. If your coach doesn't have confidence in you as a ballplayer, maybe you need to part ways," Ward said before the game. "It's been a long time since we had a conversation like that. ... That's why I'm here, showing good faith, because I want to retire a Steeler."
That sounds more like the Hines Ward I know. But even if he meant exactly what he said in Sports Illustrated, so what? If Ward has to create straw men scenarios Hulk Hogan style to get himself psyched up, more power to him. I'm guessing there won't be any complaints once the season starts ... just like last year.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Defending Hines Ward.....

On Ward's holdout: The fans wanted him to at least get into camp. I recall a good number not even caring what the Steelers would pay him (I did care). When Ward stepped on the field (The Eagle game I believe) for the first time since his holdout, the stadium errupted. Did you have a few idiots that started to state that he only cares about the money? Sure. That's to be expected. But in my opinion, the good majority just wanted him to get into camp so the talks could continue and the situation could be put behind us. Eventually, as promised by Cowher and the Rooney's, he got his lucrative deal.

On his comments towards Cowher: He stated (during his holdout) that he felt that the Steelers FO (Cowher in particular) was screwing him over by drafting WR's. Why? Even the biggest Steeler homer in this city (Bob Pompeani) stated Ward was in the wrong with those comments. We needed WR's before and after Ward came here. Cowher went on the record and stated that the Steelers were not trying to replace Ward, but to strengthen the position. Which needed to be done. Plus, last time I recall, ownership and coaching has the say on who they want to draft and when they want to draft. It's fine when a WR can hold out and shop himself, but when the organization wants to protect itself they are in the wrong. Once again, it's not personal, it's strictly business.

In my opinion, I don't care if Ward and Cowher dislike each other. As long as they have a mutual respect for each other. Noll and Bradshaw couldn't stand each other, but they got the job done. But I do have a problem with Ward's comments towards Cowher. They were made not even a year ago and he was still complaining about us drafting WR's that we needed? Listen, I love Ward. He is a great individual on and off the field and he is worth every cent that we payed him. This situation will not change my opinion towards him, but he is not above criticism (nobody on that team is). Just because he's Hines Ward doesn't give him a free pass when he makes idiotic statements. What it comes down to with me, the guy needs to let past issues go. I'm sure the "Hines can do no wrong" fanbase will disagree, but that's to be expected.

Eitherway, let's get camp started!!! Woohooo!!!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-12-2006 at 09:57 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Hey, Carrot Top is a riot.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
Hey, Carrot Top is a riot.
Cool. I think?

ROIDS

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-12-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Excellent post DIESELMAN! Rep to you! I agree I think people read into this too much. The media has to stir up somthin to entertain their readers til September. I ain't sweatin it. I think Hines is a great man and a great athlete and will continue to think so. He is no infallible but he is still a positive image today in a sport that is filled with negative ones.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
I think Hines is a great man and a great athlete and will continue to think so. He is no infallible but he is still a positive image today in a sport that is filled with negative ones.
I agree.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,009 Times in 4,558 Posts

i have to see the article in its entirety to put it into context, but it seems that ward is more reflecting on his feelings of the drafting of plax and edwards, rather than commenting on the picks of holmes and reid.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i have to see the article in its entirety to put it into context, but it seems that ward is more reflecting on his feelings of the drafting of plax and edwards, rather than commenting on the picks of holmes and reid.
Stan Savern stated that Ward stated he made those comments during his holdout. His comments were towards the signing of Edwards and Burress. I'm curious though, does it make a difference? After the Steelers realized that Edwards was a complete bust, they went out and drafted Burress. I'm just trying to figure out why it was such a bad thing to strengthen the position? Ward is not a deep threat. He has never been a deep threat. The Steelers were looking for a deep threat to compliment Hines Ward. They tried Edwards and he failed. They tried Burress and we all saw how that ended.

I just don't see why the comments were made to begin with. Whether they were made five years ago or two days ago. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 05-12-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Why does anyone have to defend Hines Ward. I forone didn't pay any attention to the comments. I didn't lose no respect for Hines Ward at all. Just stated to people that Hines is human and has an ego like most people thats all. Of course the media a bigger deal out of this then it really is. Thats the media's job.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

The media just state what he said... it is everyone else who is trying to dissect it ( just like in this forum). I was very happy when the Steelers took Edwards and Burris in the following drafts and thought that they were good picks at the time. I dont really care what Hones thinks or what he feels, i like him beause he is a Steeler and how he plays. For him to be bitching is no different than the guys who were on the team prior to him coming and feeling the same way when the Steelers drafted him. They drafted Ward to make the team better which is the same reason the drafted Burris and Edwards. Is no problem for a player to have an ego, but when they feel they need to share that ego with the rest of the world in order to make themselves feel better is when it gets pretty stupid. If this was Chad johnson talking and not Ward, this forum would be calling him a lil baby and tell him to go pout some more. Is amazing to me why people cant accept thier accomoplioshments graciously anymore and there always has to be some big story behind it. I too would have picked Wr's in those drafts so Ward wouldnt like me either i guess.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote