Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ward: Racism toward Asians isn't new

Ward: Racism toward Asians isn't new
Tue, Mar 15.1:30 PM ET
by Lynn Hoppes
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6220265

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, who was born in South Korea to a Korean mother and an African-American father, isn't surprised that racism toward the Asian community still exists.

"I've been dealing with this my whole life. I still remember being called the Jackie Chan of football," Ward said from his home in Atlanta. "I can't believe people today still want to say negative things about another race. People need to be more sensitive."

The list of people taking negative shots toward the victims of the recent Japanese earthquake and tsunami is unfortunately growing.

Conservative commentator Glenn Beck rationalized that the national disaster was God's work, saying, "I'll tell you this … there's a message being sent." Cappie Pondexter of the WNBA's New York Liberty agreed, tweeting and later apologizing for saying, "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes." And comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired Monday as the voice of the Aflac duck after tweeting, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

Ward just shakes his head thinking about the devasation and how the tragedy has affected so many lives.

"Imagine if those people had said the same thing about Haitians or African-Americans? All hell would break loose," Ward said. "But when it comes to the Asian community, it's easy to crack jokes because no one is coming out of the woodwork to defend those people."

Ward, who was appointed by President Obama to his Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, said people should think before speaking.

"I'm not going to be the next Martin Luther King and say what's right and what's wrong. Am I OK with it? No. There are just some things I can't control," Ward said. "I was just taught that you should treat someone like you want to be treated. I wish they would think about it if the shoe were on the other foot."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,113 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Ward: Racism toward Asians isn't new

I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but a lot of people of other races seem to go out of their way to call out other people for being "racist." I really don't think racism is anywhere near as prevalent in our society as those people who accuse others of racism tend to think, sometimes I think they're just overly-sensitive about all this.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I think rasicm is thankfully dying off in this country. As I see my kids grow up, they hardly see it at all. Race is a non factor for them. When you look at it from generation to generation it is less and less with each one.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

I hate green people.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

Glenn Beck is a (bleep) idiot moron piece of (bleep). How the (bleep) do you know what God wants and does moron? And Godfrey, come on dude, little too early for those kind of jokes. Innocent people died, nothing justifies that.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Glenn Beck is a (bleep) idiot moron piece of (bleep). How the (bleep) do you know what God wants and does moron? And Godfrey, come on dude, little too early for those kind of jokes. Innocent people died, nothing justifies that.
I have to agree with you. I feel for the people of Japan. It's a fact of life we live on a violent planet. Eartquakes happen all the time, just this time it was a really bad one. As far as racism goes it has and always be with us unfortunately.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
I hate green people.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

<
Perhaps...because I heard that Japan had turned their backs on Israel. That is a no no! Nonetheless, it's still a horrific, horrific tragety I don't care how you want to add it up. My heart goes out to each and every one in this awful time. :-(
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,803 Posts

here's the thing... if hines wasn't part asian , he wouldn't give a rats ass about asians...

its like christopher reeves ... did he care about stem cell research BEFORE he became paralyzed ? nope

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Agreed on Glenn Beck, and somewhat on Gottfried.

This isn't the first time Gilbert has cracked a joke too soon...he's definitely not one to hold his tongue with his jokes and his standup is always full of dark comedy and insult comedy. It's definitely not for everyone.

3 weeks after 9/11 he began a monologue at a roast for Hugh Hefner by joking that he had intended to catch a plane, but couldn't get a direct flight because "they said they have to connect with the Empire State Building first."