Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #111
Rowland2110
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Member Number: 24418
Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
huh.........didnt realize slaves made millions of dollars
Or only "worked" for 3-4 months a year.
Rowland2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #112
maddog78
Assistant Coach
 
maddog78's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,092
Member Number: 24321
Thanks: 47
Thanked 297 Times in 171 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Difference between the two is that Adrian would have escaped, Rashard would have been caught 2 yards after he ran and been branded with a small 'R' on his right cheek.

Thankfully, Rashard Unchained will be playing in Pittsburgh soon.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-10-2013), teegre (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #113
wwhickok
Starter
 
wwhickok's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 426
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24713
Thanks: 9
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Crap like is one of the many reasons I would be surprised to see Mendenhall stay in Pittsburgh.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #114
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,248
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,477 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

holy threadbump, batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Difference between the two is that Adrian would have escaped, Rashard would have been caught 2 yards after he ran and been branded with a small 'R' on his right cheek.

Thankfully, Rashard Unchained will be playing in Pittsburgh soon.
thats great!
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #115
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach
 
Riddle_Of_Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,918
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13727
Thanks: 2
Thanked 837 Times in 420 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

I don't think salary alone is enough to denunk someone's claims that they are being treated badly by an employer. It is possible to be getting paid millions of dollars, but still be treated poorly or be given the "short end of the stick".

Lets face it-- we all make more money than SOMEBODY out there. Keep that in mind the next time you complain about your boss or complain abour your working conditions-- a less fortunate person will see you in the same light as you are now seeing Mendenhall in.

"Slavery!?!?!?!-- But he makes $50k a year! What is he complaining about?!?!?"

Again, lets be honest. Professional football players basically are the equivalent of yesterday's gladiators/slave warriors. They go into the arena to get maimed, injured, and broken, purely for the entertainment of the screaming masses, for lack of better opportunities in life. They are issued a "stall" where they keep their battlearmor (locker). They are bought and sold by the owners, as if they are thoroughbreds. They are celebrated as long as they keep the bloodthirsty masses screaming in howls of lust and fury-- the moment they show a drop-off in performance or lack of ability to get the frothing masses worked up, they get shown the door.

NFL players have very little control over their own destiny. They are slaves-- albeit well-compensated ones.
__________________
GO STEELERS!!
"On the S-2-7 train"
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #116
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,498
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,314
Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,917 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
holy threadbump, batman!



thats great!
I guess when they sell the action figure, it'll say "Own your own Rashard!" and "Broomhilda Sold Separately"
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #117
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14,191
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 19,484
Thanked 20,692 Times in 8,611 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Difference between the two is that Adrian would have escaped, Rashard would have been caught 2 yards after he ran and been branded with a small 'R' on his right cheek.

Thankfully, Rashard Unchained will be playing in Pittsburgh soon.
Now, THAT was awesome!!!

FYI: I heard that Gilbert was reprising the role of the dog, and his teammates' knees were playing the role of D'Artagnan.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #118
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,834
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 676
Thanked 5,202 Times in 2,561 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland2110 View Post
Or only "worked" for 3-4 months a year.

The slave comment is idiotic but this isn't much better. Players get paid for their abilities. Retaining the abilities and the bodies to maximize them is real work.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #119
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 192
Member Number: 24438
Thanks: 6
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I don't think salary alone is enough to denunk someone's claims that they are being treated badly by an employer. It is possible to be getting paid millions of dollars, but still be treated poorly or be given the "short end of the stick".

Lets face it-- we all make more money than SOMEBODY out there. Keep that in mind the next time you complain about your boss or complain abour your working conditions-- a less fortunate person will see you in the same light as you are now seeing Mendenhall in.

"Slavery!?!?!?!-- But he makes $50k a year! What is he complaining about?!?!?"

Again, lets be honest. Professional football players basically are the equivalent of yesterday's gladiators/slave warriors. They go into the arena to get maimed, injured, and broken, purely for the entertainment of the screaming masses, for lack of better opportunities in life. They are issued a "stall" where they keep their battlearmor (locker). They are bought and sold by the owners, as if they are thoroughbreds. They are celebrated as long as they keep the bloodthirsty masses screaming in howls of lust and fury-- the moment they show a drop-off in performance or lack of ability to get the frothing masses worked up, they get shown the door.

NFL players have very little control over their own destiny. They are slaves-- albeit well-compensated ones.
You're forgetting one important fact, real slaves had no choice in the matter, NFL players can simply quit the game any time they want. If Mendenhall would be more happy stacking shelves at Wal-Mart, then he can quit football and go do that. No one is making him play football, it is his choice of profession and he can leave it any time he likes.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #120
maddog78
Assistant Coach
 
maddog78's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,092
Member Number: 24321
Thanks: 47
Thanked 297 Times in 171 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
The slave comment is idiotic but this isn't much better. Players get paid for their abilities. Retaining the abilities and the bodies to maximize them is real work.
Of course, some retain their bodies better than others.

maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts