Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #41
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
come on, they have a choice and thats all that matters here. they choose to do this. nobody makes them. they dream and work there entire lives to be were they are and nothing is a surprise
I don't think he said "NFL players are actual slaves". Nor did Peterson and Mendenhall. What they all said - in one way or another - was that there are parallels, just as there are with folks working at Walmart.

The folks working at Walmart have a choice as well: work the suckiest job on the planet, or go on welfare. They don't have to work at Walmart. They have freedom. It's America, after all. Land of the free, and all that.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #42
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Although I shouldn't be, I am amazed at how many want to somehow find a way to compare slavery to the NFL. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but come on.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #43
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.
It must be horrible to be "bought" by the NFL and have to suffer by making millions of dollars playing a game. As far as being "discarded," regular workers are laid off or fired everyday. And they didn't make millions before being "discarded."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle.
But yet every player who puts on a helmet dreams of one day going through this process and being drafted by an NFL team. I wonder if slaves looked forward to "draft day" with such anticipation?

Quote:
As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product.
Most workers in any business have little or no say over their workplace or product. There are a LOT of things I'd like to change about my workplace. It's not happening though.

Quote:
Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.
Most of them also got a free college education (or at least had the opportunity to). So even if their football career does end after three years, they've got money and connections that your average college graduate could only dream about.

Quote:
That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.
I don't disagree here. If we were arguing that there are parallels between college football and slavery, I'd be on the other side of the argument.

Quote:
There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.
I think it's ridiculous to compare NFL players to slaves. If the players feel they're being treated unfairly, they are free to find other employment. If they think they have it so bad in the NFL, they can always fall back on that free education they received while attending college.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #44
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

I knew my comments wouldn't go over well here but I stand behind what I said

When I graduated college I had 3 job offers on the table -
I was able to choose who I worked for
Sadly NFL players can not
They are drafted and pretty much forced to play for whomever drafts them

I dont think that's right - yes they can sit out or pull an Eli Manning but they risk not getting paid for a year if they do.

Now the owners are talking about a rookie wage scale to further muck things up?

Mendy didnt know what he was getting into when he was drafted but after a few years in the NFL he sees it for what it is
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #45
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
I knew my comments wouldn't go over well here but I stand behind what I said
It wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything.

Quote:
When I graduated college I had 3 job offers on the table -
I was able to choose who I worked for
Sadly NFL players can not
They are drafted and pretty much forced to play for whomever drafts them
If they don't like the work conditions, then maybe they need to find a new line of work. When my company went from a morning operation to a night operation, quite a few of my co-workers decided they didn't want to "give up their lives" by working afternoons, so they found other employment. My uncle has lived in about 6 different states in the past 25 years because his company keeps relocating him. This is equivalent to being traded, only he doesn't make millions every year. This kind of thing happens in businesses all the time, only workers generally don't get the same kind of perks NFL players receive. Players know going in what the "work environment" is like. If they don't like it, they can find other employment. No one is forcing them to play in the NFL, which is why I disagree with the slavery comparison.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #46
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
your insane
When I read this
LOL!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Ridiculous. There are no parallels to be made between the two. Playing in the NFL = completely voluntary, and remunerated quite handsomely. Slavery = completely involuntary and unpaid. Get it?
Most people can't get past the money point - but the treatment is the treatment
regardless if it is voluntary or not - the current system is what it is

NFL Players cant even choose who their employers are or where they get traded unless they pull a T.O or your name is Randy Moss and you alienate everyone to get your way

But again most people cant get past how much money these guys make and look at the conditions objectively

Seems as if college educated NFL player Mendy can.
He knows the system better than any of us.

Just take him off your fantasy team.... when Mendy scores TD's for us and wins games will you cheer for him then?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #47
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
It wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything.

If they don't like the work conditions, then maybe they need to find a new line of work. This kind of thing happens in businesses all the time, only workers generally don't get the same kind of perks NFL players receive. Players know going in what the "work environment" is like. If they don't like it, they can find other employment. No one is forcing them to play in the NFL, which is why I disagree with the slavery comparison.
Exactly - they had the option to go work for someone else and make about the same amount of money

Their is only 1 NFL
Yes they can play in the CFL or UFL but they will not get the same wages

AN NFL player said that their were parallels in the current NFL system to slavery
He makes millions and he STILL feels this way

And he is not the only one I assure you

These guys are saying something about a system that they belong to and what cracks me up is there are people outside looking in saying the NFL system isn't like that?

LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #48
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

so your saying all pro sports are like slavery because there all set up the same way? when you waych hockey do you feel sorry for all those slaves because they were drafted and traded?

as for them not having a choice, i dont know were you dreamed that up. they dont have to play football.nobody makes them except millions of dollars a year to play a game most of us play for fun. nobody is going to give Pouncey 20 lashes if he decides to walk away after his 1st year
Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #49
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Never mind.

Last edited by Sixburgher; 03-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #50
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
NFL Players cant even choose who their employers are or where they get traded
Their employers are the NFL. And they can choose to work for the NFL or find another employer.

Let me give you an analogy. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than comparing NFL players to slaves ...

Right out of college I get three job offers. Two of them are in my home state of Ohio starting off at $30,000. The third is in Texas starting off at $90,000. I take the job in Texas because I can make a lot more money. After working there a while, I start complaining that they're treating me like a slave because they made me move to Texas.

No one is treating me like a slave. I didn't have to accept the job. Same thing with NFL players. No one is forcing them to go to work for the NFL. They choose to be employed by the NFL knowing they have to play for the team that drafts them. And then after their rookie contracts are up, they DO have a say in where they play ... it's called free agency.

I remember seeing an interview with Paul Stanley of Kiss years ago. He was talking about rock stars who complain about being on the road all the time and losing their privacy. He said if they are lucky enough in life to be doing what they always dreamed of, then they need to shut up and stop bitching. ... There are thousands of former football players who never made it to the NFL who would gladly switch places with those poor, abused NFL players.

Last edited by Wallace108; 03-22-2011 at 11:00 AM.