Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #51
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
I knew my comments wouldn't go over well here but I stand behind what I said

When I graduated college I had 3 job offers on the table -
I was able to choose who I worked for
Sadly NFL players can not
They are drafted and pretty much forced to play for whomever drafts them

I dont think that's right - yes they can sit out or pull an Eli Manning but they risk not getting paid for a year if they do.

Now the owners are talking about a rookie wage scale to further muck things up?

Mendy didnt know what he was getting into when he was drafted but after a few years in the NFL he sees it for what it is

ahhhhhh. Poor babies. They can't play "for who they want to play for...". Ahh.....
They're free to go out and use their "business" degree or whatever was handed to them and get a regular job....
I mean, it is a DRAFT.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #52
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...s-to-stupidity

Players who make asinine statements simply 'slaves' to stupidity

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
March 25, 2011

NFL players don't need a court order. They need a gag order.

For some reason, they keep equating their jobs to "modern-day slavery," as Minnesota's Adrian Peterson put it. Enough already. The NFL is about as close to "modern-day slavery" as Tripoli is to Tokyo, and it's time these guys get a history lesson, a geography lesson or a dose of common sense.

Basically, it's time they stop playing the S card.

Look, players are eloquent, forceful and persuasive when they talk about the NFL lockout and how they're getting what they consider an unfair shake of revenues ... or not getting the financial transparency they demand ... or having a basic mistrust of greedy owners.

But they veer off topic when they start comparing themselves to "modern-day slaves." Not only does it make them unsympathetic figures in a public dispute; it makes them seem uninformed.

I'm not sure who's to blame more -- the guys talking or the people advising them. All I know is that persons on the players' side who should be concerned aren't, and that's troubling. I mean, if you're going to portray yourself as a victim don't tell me you're the modern-day equivalent of Kunta Kinte, because you're not.

So why try hammering it home? Because you're frustrated with the current stalemate? OK, I get it. Because you think owners are taking an unfair share of profits? I get that, too. Because the NFL seemed to chart a lockout course when it signed off on TV deals a court found contrary to players' interests? That's a big 10-4. Because players can be locked into contracts with no escapes -- like franchise and transition deals? Trust me, I understand.

But don't tell me you're "modern-day slaves" because you're getting jobbed. That's not only insulting to your audience; it's insulting to you. You're smarter than that. You know it, I know it and pro football fans know it.

And what we know is this: In the second-worst economy in the nation's history, NFL players made an average of $1.896 million in 2009, according to NFL Players Association figures. Granted, that's the lowest average in pro sports. I get that, and I also get that owners made a gazillion bucks. But that's not the point. What is, is that it's $1.896 million, or more than some Americans earn in a lifetime. Factor that over the average career of an NFL player -- 3.4 years -- and you walk away with $6.44 million.

I'm not saying players should be grateful. I'm just saying I don't remember slaves pulling down $1.896 million per.

But let's forget about remuneration and move on to pro football in general. It's a profession that players choose voluntarily. Hmmm, the last time I checked, nobody voluntarily chose slavery, which is why it's called slavery.

Moreover, the terms and conditions of a slave's employment weren't determined by collective bargaining and they weren't negotiable. They were just imposed, period. Tell me the last time slaves were represented by a union, which, come to think of it, might be the only thing players and slaves have in common now.

Neither is represented by a union.

Now let's say you're a player, and you don't like the terms and conditions of your workplace. OK, here's a suggestion: Leave. Go to the CFL. The AFL. The UFL. Hey, join Chad Ochocinco at MLS tryouts, I don't care. Just find a sport where you're happy. Or take a job at a private enterprise. Work for a bank. Sell cars. Write books. Wait on tables. Heck, advise pro football players. Just do something, anything, where you're drawing a check.

That's what most of us do, yet I don't hear the clerks at the neighborhood bank or the guy behind the counter at the local 7-Eleven pontificating about "modern-day slavery." But I did hear Peterson. Then I heard Rashard Mendenhall. Now, this week, we have Leonard Weaver, though he had the wisdom to retract his comments and apologize.

At last weekend's annual NFL players' meeting, former player Sean Morey made an impassioned appeal to the public, saying he understood its distress because "We connect with our fans." He's right, of course. People don't run around in Jerry Richardson or Jerry Jones jerseys; they run around with the names of Adrian Peterson and Rashard Mendenhall on their backs.

But that connection is damaged every time a player stands up and starts yammering about "modern-day slavery," and I'll tell you why: Because no "modern-day slave" sells a Manhattan condo for $17.5 million, as New England quarterback and assistant player rep Tom Brady did last month.

That doesn't mean we can't talk about "modern-day slavery;" it just means we can talk about it when it applies, as it does Friday with the 100th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in New York City. The 1911 disaster was the deadliest industrial accident in New York history, with 146 garment workers killed after managers locked doors to stairwells and exits, forcing employees to jump nine stories to their deaths.

That was slavery. The NFL is not.

An official at the players' meetings told me Peterson had every right to voice his opinion; that he stood behind him and respected his right to take a stand. OK, fine. I think we all agree that Peterson is entitled to his opinion, just as someone like, oh, say, Carolina owner and NFL labor co-chairman Richardson is.

Yet when Richardson reportedly scolded players at a closed-door negotiating session people recoiled, criticized and wagged incriminating fingers. When Peterson & Co. portrayed themselves as "modern-day slaves" they did not.

Tell me what's wrong with this picture. Never mind, I'll spare you the trouble. NFL players are not "slaves," and they know it. Maybe they're incensed with how they're treated by the NFL, but at least they have a voice in how the league is run and a voice in what they do next.

Only now it's time that voice was channeled. Stick to what you know, guys, and what you know is that the NFL and "modern-day slavery" do not coexist in the same sentence.

End of conversation.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #53
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i was gonna say the same thing , but with less words...
him trying to draw this comparison , is just as disgusting as kellen winslow and the rest of the dregs of society calling themselves "soulja''s"

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #54
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
ahhhhhh. Poor babies. They can't play "for who they want to play for...". Ahh.....
They're free to go out and use [B]their "business" degree or whatever was handed to them and get a regular job/B].

Because they didnt earn anything right?
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #55
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
he was a kid when he said this......
He apologized and moved on if I remember correctly

Everytime I think of Kellen I just think of a TE who has not maximized his talent
Don't know if it is his fault or him playing with below average to avg QB's for most of his career

Thanks for bringing back the canes highlights.

Someday the U will rise again!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #56
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Their employers are the NFL. And they can choose to work for the NFL or find another employer.

Let me give you an analogy. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than comparing NFL players to slaves ...
Let's not...
I do not lack understanding of the situation - I understand it completely - I just don't see it in the way you see it

Tell Mendy this also cuz he obviously doesnt get it
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #57
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Let's not...
I do not lack understanding of the situation - I understand it completely - I just don't see it in the way you see it

Tell Mendy this also cuz he obviously doesnt get it
You're assuming that just because Mendy and Peterson believe it, then it must be true. What about the other 98 percent of the players that probably think they're a couple of dumb asses for making those comments?

Look, I've seen some really good arguments in support of the players. But comparing them to slaves isn't one of them.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #58
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
You're assuming that just because Mendy and Peterson believe it, then it must be true. What about the other 98 percent of the players that probably think they're a couple of dumb asses for making those comments?

Look, I've seen some really good arguments in support of the players. But comparing them to slaves isn't one of them.

I'll second that. I support the players for the most part, but slavery? C'mon man!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #59
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:

they are making millions how can their be parallels to slavery?
Once you get past the money part the evidence is there
the money is supposed to excuse the treatment

no amount of money can pay for somoene's dignity

Funny I haven't read a lot of players denouncing his comments - Tomlin himself commented on mendy and said he didnt have a problem with what he said

NOTE: Add Tomlin to the list of dumb asses

a lot of the professional basketball and football players think this way - Mendy/Peterson are just the 2% that SPOKE up about it.

Based on most of the answers to this post Mendy is a Dummy for expressing his opinion because it will probably cost him in endorsements/popularity

but he is not dumb by any means Mendy is a smart guy
obviously not the smart you like though
LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #60
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
they are making millions how can their be parallels to slavery?
Once you get past the money part the evidence is there
the money is supposed to excuse the treatment
Money can excuse a lot! Why do you think players leave a good team and go play for a worse team? M-O-N-E-Y. They'll even put up with losing if they can get paid more for doing it. And I'm really failing to see the poor treatment you're referring to.

Quote:
no amount of money can pay for somoene's dignity
You're really losing me here. What does dignity have to do with this?

Quote:
Funny I haven't read a lot of players denouncing his comments - Tomlin himself commented on mendy and said he didnt have a problem with what he said
How much do you know about unions and labor situations? They have to present a unified front. Players aren't going to start criticizing other players' comments. I'm not surprised Tomlin didn't have a problem with Mendy's comment ... that's his player. And Tomlin usually doesn't get into the media game of "gotcha."

Quote:
a lot of the professional basketball and football players think this way
That doesn't make them right. A lot of fans think the refs stole the SB away from the Seahawks and gave it to the Steelers. Does it make it true just because a lot of fans believe it?