Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #61
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Money can excuse a lot! Why do you think players leave a good team and go play for a worse team? M-O-N-E-Y. They'll even put up with losing if they can get paid more for doing it. And I'm really failing to see the poor treatment you're referring to.

You're really losing me here. What does dignity have to do with this?

How much do you know about unions and labor situations? They have to present a unified front. Players aren't going to start criticizing other players' comments. I'm not surprised Tomlin didn't have a problem with Mendy's comment ... that's his player. And Tomlin usually doesn't get into the media game of "gotcha."

That doesn't make them right. A lot of fans think the refs stole the SB away from the Seahawks and gave it to the Steelers. Does it make it true just because a lot of fans believe it?
If you feel you are being treated unfairly - no amount of money can make up for it.
Can money make you feel better about it?

Yes it can - How much money does Mendy Make?

Yet he STILL said it!
He's what 3 years or so NFL experience.

Tomlin supported Mendy in what he said - he himself said there were parallels

Why is a Parallel to slavery such a hard concept to grasp? - I gave a CLEAR example with the NFL combine -
What goes on at the combine is similar to what went on at the Slave Auction Block minus the whips and chains
Read the history and look at the combine
It's real simple

their are many more examples.
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #62
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
Why is a Parallel to slavery such a hard concept to grasp? - I gave a CLEAR example with the NFL combine -
What goes on at the combine is similar to what went on at the Slave Auction Block minus the whips and chains.
What goes on at the combine that is even remotely comparable to the slave auction block? When a player chooses to go into the NFL, he is choosing a profession that is defined by physicality. So of course teams want to see how players measure up. That's what the job entails. That's what they choose to do. Teams aren't going to draft players based on their cooking skills.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #63
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

It's a choice and they are compensated handsomely for their work. They can leave whenever they choose. What's not to understand about that?

Slavery? Pfft!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #64
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
What goes on at the combine that is even remotely comparable to the slave auction block? When a player chooses to go into the NFL, he is choosing a profession that is defined by physicality. So of course teams want to see how players measure up. That's what the job entails. That's what they choose to do. Teams aren't going to draft players based on their cooking skills.
I didnt know that?
[SARCASM]
Duh I know what the combine is for?
You guys keep trying to explain the process ............

Again
I never said the combine was slavery I said the way it is conducted parallels how the slaves were treated

I gave a clear, plausible example of how this happens
Read the history books and look at the NFL combine there are clear easy to recognize parallels

I could take this 10 levels deeper in how the NFL parallels slavery - for example how the scouts describe the players in animalistic terms i.e (stud, gallops, etc etc )- I am not even going there with it

MENDY said it
Parallels
Mendy has been through this process - HE is an NFL Player that makes millions is college educated from Illinois University
3 years experience in the NFL
He is no dummy
He is on the inside

WE are on the outside looking in

His insight and his aptitude of the situation is greater than ours for the simple fact of firsthand experience

After all this knowledge and first hand experience Mendy uttered those words....
How can you not see some validity in his comments?

Just play ball dummy and dont have a thought that gives us a reason to hate you
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #65
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
It's a choice and they are compensated handsomely for their work. They can leave whenever they choose. What's not to understand about that?

Slavery? Pfft!
The money - leave the money out of it and look at the process

Yes they make "a lot" of money
So what

Are they slaves - never said they were - I said and more importantly NFL players say the NFL system parallels slavery
Pfft!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #66
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
The money - leave the money out of it and look at the process

Yes they make "a lot" of money
So what

Are they slaves - never said they were - I said and more importantly NFL players say the NFL system parallels slavery
Pfft!
Telling me to take the money out of the slavery issue is ridiculous. It's a major part of it. Even if you did, it is in no way, shape or form the same. You also seem to ignore the freewill portion of my argument. No one is chained up and paraded onto a stage to go to the highest bidder against their will. These players have the CHOICE to not be a part of it.

It's a type of job interview. It may be different then what you or I are used to, but that doesn't make it slavery. Teams need to have a way of seeing, up close and in person, what these players have to offer skills-wise. This is one way of accomplishing that goal and is in no way the same or similar to slavery. I guess you'll just say to take the freewill and choice out of the equation too, though.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #67
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Fish going to market parallels slavery too.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #69
harts
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Fish going to market parallels slavery too.
So the NFL players that say this are in effect idiots...
Seems to be the consensus here
Not surprising
When the system is exposed for what it really is in the future then people will understand but too many on here only see how much money they make

they are too envious to look at the situation objectively because many feel as though they are more worthy of the money than those that are playing it

Sad

Don't put Mendy on your fantasy team or cheer for him when he wins games for the Steelers -

Always remember what he said - how can you cheer for a dummy?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #70
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
So the NFL players that say this are in effect idiots...
Seems to be the consensus here
Not surprising
When the system is exposed for what it really is in the future then people will understand but too many on here only see how much money they make

they are too envious to look at the situation objectively because many feel as though they are more worthy of the money than those that are playing it

Sad

Don't put Mendy on your fantasy team or cheer for him when he wins games for the Steelers -

Always remember what he said - how can you cheer for a dummy?

What does saying/doing something stupid have to do with me cheering them on? I continued rooting for Ben when he made some exceedingly stupid decisions. If you weren't allowed to cheer for someone after they said or did something stupid, we wouldn't cheer for 90% of the professional athletes going today. Most of them aren't exactly geniuses and neither am I. Nobody's perfect, but that doesn't change the fact that comparing the combine to slavery is just absurd.

At least even I'm smart enough to see that.

Oh, and another thing. Don't tell me who I can and can't cheer for. You have no right to treat me like your slave.

Last edited by Buddha Bus; 04-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.