Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #81
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
Yes playing in the NFL is free will
SO what!
Harts, freewill is a very important factor here. No one is forcing them to work under those "miserable" conditions.

Quote:
The NFL combine in the way that it is conducted parallels what went on at the slavery auction block
As I've said before, football is a physical game. Why wouldn't the owners want to see how the players stack up physically?

Quote:
There are many other examples - I just use that one
There are many examples? What are they?

Quote:
Again
Mendy and other NFL players, NBA players have said this in the past.
You keep rehashing the same arguments, so I'll keep rehashing the same counter arguments. ... Just because Mendy and Peterson play in the NFL doesn't make their opinions right. How many players have you seen come out and support this view?

Quote:
For you to discredit and write it off as nonsense is comical since you don't have any direct knowledge of the situation
Dude, you don't know anything about me, so don't make assumptions.

Quote:
So Mendy is an idiot?
Adrian Peterson is an idiot?
I never said they were idiots. They made idiotic statements. There's a difference.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #82
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:

Too much money being made for playing ball HUH?
LOL

Tell em why you mad

Still no counter to the "freewill" argument huh, harts? Tell me why you choose to ignore it. I'm not mad, just tired of hearing some guy ramble about money when that is not the only issue.

Also, I never said they make too much money for playing ball. I'm all for them getting their piece of the pie. They put their bodies through a lot and tend to have short careers. They should try to make as much as they can. I guess reading comprehension is NOT your strong point.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.

Last edited by Buddha Bus; 04-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #83
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Yeah, it's a shame that these men are being used like "slaves" by those evil NFL owners. Really, these guys are being stripped from the ranks of scientists, artists, musicians, world leaders, Nobel Prize winners just to be used to bump into each other. The selfishness of us fans who desire to be entertained leads to our societies top thinkers pushed through a system that treats them more like cattle than the geniuses that they are. And to think they are being paid such a lowly rate with a minimum of $350k per year when they would otherwise have earned so much more. To see the shock and looks of horror on the faces of these young men when they are surprised to learn that they were sucked from their colleges into the NFL, against their will, when they never spent time preparing their bodies and developing the mindset for such work. It's these thoughts that generate the tears that soak my pillow night after night with thoughts of how unfair the world really is.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #84
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

good points, Wallace.

I have to agree....no one is making them play here. I've watched both sides and i still think its beneficial for the game for the owners to win the majority of their points (they own the teams anyway....duh)
Look whats happened to major league baseball now that the players have hijacked the league : a sport that is no longer a sport..that has NO parity...and NO ONE cares about.
They're free to use their "degrees" to apply and enter the business world.

I have NO tolerance for players making these kinds of comments. Doesn't matter if they play for Pittsburgh or not. The real slaves are all the working folk making 40, 50, 60K a year or whatever they make and paying a boatload for their health insurance and working under miserable people.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #85
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
good points, Wallace.

I have to agree....no one is making them play here. I've watched both sides and i still think its beneficial for the game for the owners to win the majority of their points (they own the teams anyway....duh)
Look whats happened to major league baseball now that the players have hijacked the league : a sport that is no longer a sport..that has NO parity...and NO ONE cares about.
They're free to use their "degrees" to apply and enter the business world.

I have NO tolerance for players making these kinds of comments. Doesn't matter if they play for Pittsburgh or not. The real slaves are all the working folk making 40, 50, 60K a year or whatever they make and paying a boatload for their health insurance and working under miserable people.
One can conceive of the game being played without owners, but without the players there is no sport. Period. And the free will argument works both ways. The owners are perfectly free to play the real estate markets whenever they want a real challenge.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #86
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
One can conceive of the game being played without owners, but without the players there is no sport. Period. And the free will argument works both ways. The owners are perfectly free to play the real estate markets whenever they want a real challenge.
I'm sure most people would agree with you, Ric, and I'm not saying that I completely disagree. But lets give some credit to the owners. There's a reason why the Steelers have been consistently good during the past 20 years or so, regardless of which players were on the field. And there's a reason why teams like the Lions and Browns have been consistently bad during the same time period. It starts with the owners.Yeah, we watch because of the players. But it's up to the owners to put good players on the field and assemble a watchable product. And the method in which they do that is what a few here are equating to slavery.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #87
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

This discussion has no legs.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #88
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

Thats true, i agree......and without civilian employees, there'd be no regular companies too.
The media has taken to portraying owners as greedy millionaires and the players as poor, badly-treated, employees barely living above poverty. Like i said, they're free, instead, to use their business degrees (that they probably didn't earn...) to enter the business world.
The fact is they're both greedy. A football player makes a few million and can't save and be responsible for his money after a few years? Poor baby? Uh......NO. Thats the argument i hear a lot. Remember....a civilian who makes 50K per year takes 20 years to make a million dollars while paying heavy health insurances. So we're supposed to "feel bad" that they 'only' made a few million (except the huge major stars like Ben, Brady, etc...) and it's gone or almost gone? The media has milked that one to death.

It's unfortunate and sad to see this thing right before our eyes heading directly to what MLB has become. Owners no one likes, players no one likes....
We can sit here all day and lay blame on both sides, but a 3rd side never mentioned is player agents. Thats the real destructive force and they've almost singlehandedly ruined and taken the "sport" and the "game" out of the game. To get back to thread topic, i have lost a good chunk of respect for Mendenhall. How dare he say that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #89
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Like i said, they're free, instead, to use their business degrees (that they probably didn't earn...) to enter the business world.
I'm pretty sure most NFL players do not have a degree. I saw a stat somewhere for it, but it's very low.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #90
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

Slavery and the NFL...I can see that.

By that I mean I can see that if slaves where paid millions of dollars to work a few months a year playing a game and were treated like celebrities every where they went....wait, thats not slavery at all.

The owners just want some compensation for the rising cost of stadiums, up keep, wages and cost of goods. It is simple business as wages rise, so do bills and as gas rises so does everything else.

I wish Steelers would just shut their mouths and let everyone else talk. Besides, if you are gonna run your mouth make sure you weren't the guy who fumbled on the drive that easily could have taken the lead in the Super Bowl.