Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Rookie snapshot: Cedric Humes.....

New Steelers running back Cedric Humes will likely have to wait his turn before he gets a shot at carrying the football for his new team.

With 1,200-yard rusher Willie Parker and veterans Duce Staley and Verron Haynes ahead of him on the depth chart, Humes, a seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, has some obstacles to overcome to make the team.

But the 6-1, 233-pound Humes, whom the Pittsburgh Steelers selected in the seventh round of the draft, is used to waiting his turn.

After all, he chose to attend Virginia Tech ? choosing the Hokies over Pitt ? in the same recruiting class as Parade All-American running back Kevin Jones, a first-round pick two years ago of Detroit. Considering the Hokies also had Lee Suggs, who now plays for the Cleveland Browns, there wasn?t a lot of room for Humes to get the ball.

So while Suggs and then Jones got the bulk of the carries early in Humes? stay at Virginia Tech, it was his turn to shine when Jones left early for the NFL in 2004.

Unfortunately, early in a scrimmage in Virginia Tech?s 2004 spring practice, Humes suffered a broken bone in his lower left leg. The injury was bad enough that by the time the Hokies were preparing for the 2004 season, his leg still wasn?t 100 percent.

Humes, a power back, struggled, gaining just 153 yards on his first 41 carries.

?It was a mental thing with Cedric,? Virginia Tech running backs coach Billy Hite told the Fredericksburg Free Lance Star. ?Even after he got healthy, he was worried he was going to get hurt again. He just couldn?t turn it loose.?

Humes eventually fell behind Mike Imoh and Justin Hamilton on the depth chart, further eroding his confidence.

?I definitely had my down moments,? Humes told the Free Lance Star. ?I had worked hard to be the best. I was wondering what was going to happen to me: Was I going to be big here or just a mediocre guy??

He chose to be big, turning his season - and career - around against Florida A&M. Humes rushed for 120 yards and two touchdown in Virginia Tech?s 62-0 rout. He followed that up with 85 yards against Maryland, 95 yards against Virginia and 110 in a win over Miami that gave the Hokies the ACC Championship in their first season in the conference.

Suddenly, a player rated as one of the top-10 players in Virginia in 2001 by the Roanoke Times, ahead of the likes of tight end Heath Miller, now with the Steelers, and offensive lineman Elton Brown, now of the Arizona Cardinals, was playing like one.

Despite his slow start, he finished the season with 605 yards on 130 carries with five touchdowns.

Despite that strong finish, Humes went into his final season at Virginia Tech sharing time with Imoh, another talented runner. Imoh was the speed back, Humes the pounder.

And the pounder got pounded. During the Hokies? Oct. 8 game against Marshall, Humes broke the ulna bone in his right arm. He spent the second half of the game on the sideline with his arm in a sling. But not wanting this injury to ruin his season as the broken leg did before, Humes had surgery wasn was back on the football field 19 days later.

?I?ve worked so hard to get to this point,? Humes told the Free Lance Star. ?Playing running back at Virginia Tech is a constant competition. I knew I had to get back as soon as I could or I might end up third- or fourth-string.?

Humes finished his final season for the Hokies with 752 yards on 162 carries with a team-best 11 touchdowns.

Now, he?ll face a similar challenge breaking into the lineup for the defending Super Bowl champions. When he does that, he can recall the days at Virginia Tech when things weren?t always going his way. When he stayed hungry and worked hard to stay on the football field.

?I want to be remembered for my hard work, for my ability to come back,? Humes told the Hokies? media department. ?I think the main thing is about the injury. I fought through it and some guys would never be the same after that injury, but I came back to my old self.?

Even though he's a seventh-round pick, that doesn't mean he won't get a chance with the Steelers. Parker made the team two years ago as an undrafted rookie, while Haynes was a fifth-round pick.

And with an opening on the roster created by the retirement of Jerome Bettis, Humes will be in the mix for a roster spot.

"Whatever I go there to do, and whatever I do, I'm going to compete," Humes said. "If that's the job that I need to compete for, I definitely will. I definitely believe that I can be the short-yardage guy."

By: Dale Lolley
Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
Date: May 12, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Rookie snapshot: Cedric Humes.....

Maybe he will be worth keeping on purely for goalline situations - then again - just because he is a 'power back' doesn't mean he will be able to do anything in the NFL.

His name has potential for a nickname though - "Problems with Rats?...Call the Humigator"

Or something better

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 05-13-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
just because he is a 'power back' doesn't mean he will be able to do anything in the NFL.
NM
The same could be said for Maroney who pusses out when the hole isn't big enough.....

Old 05-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,993 Times in 4,555 Posts

Quote:
His name has potential for a nickname though - "Problems with Rats?...Call the Humigator"

NM
*the sound of crickets chirping*
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
Old 05-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Ha ha.

Expected.

Chirping crickets are a regular audience for my lame attempts at humor

Still....

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMAN
The same could be said for Maroney who pusses out when the hole isn't big enough.....
Yeah they are very similar RB's - picked in the same round of the draft and everything.

NM
Old 05-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,993 Times in 4,555 Posts

still....

the humeidifyer

the humean wrecking ball

relative humidity.

humigator isnt as well known of a term as exterminator. in fact theres a ride at kennywoods amusement park in pittsburgh called "the exterminator" where big mean rats is the theme.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
still....

the humeidifyer

the humean wrecking ball

relative humidity.

humigator isnt as well known of a term as exterminator. in fact theres a ride at kennywoods amusement park in pittsburgh called "the exterminator" where big mean rats is the theme.
I considered the humidifier or the dehumidifier - but you have take a bit of poetic license and try and make it related to heat...or so it says here in my 'designing nicknames for footballers' manual.....

Hume-an wrecking ball I like......

Relative humidity would only work if he gets to knock his 2nd cousin (or something) on his ass during a play.....

Dont ya just love the offseason!

NM
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah they are very similar RB's - picked in the same round of the draft and everything.

NM
Just because Maroney got drafted in the first round don't make him any better......Every rookie still has to prove himself.....Time will tell.