Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Rooney opposes more instant replay

Steelers' Rooney opposes more instant replay
Monday, March 21, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW ORLEANS -- While NFL owners consider rules proposals for a 2011 season that may not take place, Art Rooney would like them to apply some brakes.

The Steelers president thinks the league's competition committee might be trying to fix something that's not broken. He's dead set against expanding the use of instant replay, and he repeated a warning he first issued last fall not to go overboard with the new safety proposals.

"I don't like the replay rule," Rooney stated.

The league competition committee has recommended changes that would allow review by officials of every scoring play without a coach using one of his challenges. The rules were presented Monday to the owners, who will vote on them today.

Rooney's concern is twofold, that fans would not know immediately if a team has scored and that officials might be gun-shy to make a call knowing it would automatically be reviewed anyway.

"The fans are going to sit there and wait and, OK, is that a touchdown or not? Are they going to review it or not?" Rooney said.

"And the other thing is, the first time we did replay it was basically sort of the eye in the sky thing where any play could be reviewed. That's how it was. The negative I think from that -- and I think one of the reasons we kind of went to the system we have with the coach's challenge -- was the effect it had on the officials. They basically started to be hesitant to make a call because they knew everything they were going to do was going to be reviewed. I think that could be one of the effects of this, guys not wanting to make a call because they know it's going upstairs no matter what they call.

"I have to say I was surprised they even made this proposal because I think our replay rule is working fine. I wouldn't make any changes."

Rooney spoke out last fall when the NFL began hitting players more heavily with fines, especially Steelers linebacker James Harrison. He cautioned that they flirted with changing a game that is inherently physical -- and popular.

He repeated those concerns Monday after the competition committee recommended more stringent rules on hits, and the NFL's intent to punish those hits more severely, including suspensions.

"We're anxious to get into the debate a little bit and hear what the committee's rationale is, but I would say we have some concerns about some of the proposals.

"No. 1, look everybody's for safety and try to do what we can to make the game as safe as we possibly can. The other side of that is you have to have a game where it's possible to officiate the game consistently, game in and game out. I've said this before, I really think we're asking a lot of our defensive players in terms of the adjustments they have to make. Now I think we're going to be asking a lot of our officials to really officiate this kind of stuff. The more judgment calls you put on them the more difficult it becomes.

"Overall I think they do a good job but it's going to become a tougher game to officiate. I think we have to be realistic about how much this is doable. There has to be some balance to it."
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11080...#ixzz1HHLvHd71
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote