Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers’ Legursky to make stop in Beckley

Steelers’ Legursky to make stop in Beckley
http://www.register-herald.com/today...top-in-Beckley
By Nick Brockman Register-Herald Reporter The Register-Herald Wed Mar 23, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT

The hometown kid returns to his stomping grounds this weekend when Pittsburgh Steelers center Doug Legursky visits Beckley and makes a stop for an autograph session.

A Woodrow Wilson graduate, then Marshall University football player, now Steeler, Legursky represents most local football players’ dream paths, and his visit is a way for the former Flying Eagle to reconnect and give back to his community.

During his visit, Legursky will sign autographs at the Beckley Marquee Cinemas from 2-4 p.m. Saturday, sponsored by Collectibles Inc. of Charleston.

“I’m just excited to get in there and sign some autographs and take some pictures with some Beckley people who have supported me throughout the years,” Legursky said. “I hope everybody comes out and has a good time. I hope it’s a good showing, and just getting to hang out with people from Beckley that have supported me throughout my entire career is going to be great.”

The signing will be one of several local stops for Legursky, who makes his home with his wife in Pittsburgh most of the year.

“I get some home cooking, go see a bunch of friendly faces,” he said. “I like to pop my head into the Beckley football facilities and see what they got going on over there, maybe go around and see a bunch of people I haven’t seen in a while.

“There’s always a busy to-do list when we get back into town.”

It’s not unusual to be stopped for some small talk by community members either when Legursky visits town, he said.

The attention received in town isn’t anything like he experienced leading up to this year’s Super Bowl, when it was rumored, then confirmed Legursky would replace the injured Pittsburgh starting center Maurkice Pouncey.

“That was wild,” Legursky said of the media attention. “That was probably the most difficult part about the Super Bowl time period, was all the stuff leading up to it. Once the ball was snapped, it was just another game. I’ve been in hundreds of them. It was on a bigger stage of course, but once the ball is snapped, it was just another game.”

Now, Legursky finds himself in the midst of the NFL’s lockout as the Players Association and owners attempt to negotiate an agreement.

There’s more at stake for players behind the scenes, Legursky said.

“They don’t have insurance now,” he said. “It is affecting not just players, but players’ wives, kids, families, and that’s a really difficult pill to swallow. The faster we can get this thing figured out, the best it will be for everybody.”

In the meantime, Legursky said he has been working out and training.

“Whenever the NFLPA and the owners get this stuff figured out, I’ll be ready to get back to work,” he said.

When he does get back to work, he’ll go back to making West Virginians proud of their own, said Chad Rogers, president and CEO of Collectibles Inc.

“I think it’s great when anybody from West Virginia gets out there and puts on such a positive message on the national stage, especially like a literally hometown kid growing up in Beckley, going to college at Marshall, playing with the Steelers,” Rogers said. “There’s not many local guys that have made it all the way to the top. I don’t know Doug that well, but he just seems like a super, nice guy.”

Rogers said items will be available Saturday for purchase, and all prices include the autograph fee. For $25, individuals can buy an autographed 8x10 photo or have their own picture taken with Doug and printed on site. Mini-helmets, both Marshall and Steelers, and footballs will be $50, with jerseys $125 and regular helmets $150. Fans may bring items of their own, but there will be a $20 charge for each autograph.

For more information, call Collectibles Inc. at 304-720-6964.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote