Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326
Default Re: Steelers 4-3 defense

While I get that it's the coaches and the players and not the scheme, that have made the Steeler defense a top defense year after year, there has to be something to the 3-4 that is causing more and more teams to switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3. I'd be more inclined to run a 3-3-5 than switch to a 4-3...and think that may be the future. Get smaller and quicker, not bigger and slower. I'm no expert, but when we go to dime and nickel pkgs, isn't that what we are essentially doing? Or is that more of a 2-4-5 type of alignment? Please school me if I am wrong.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

This is good April Fools material, for those of you with writing skills and too much time on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy86 View Post
While I get that it's the coaches and the players and not the scheme, that have made the Steeler defense a top defense year after year, there has to be something to the 3-4 that is causing more and more teams to switch to a 3-4 from a 4-3. I'd be more inclined to run a 3-3-5 than switch to a 4-3...and think that may be the future. Get smaller and quicker, not bigger and slower. I'm no expert, but when we go to dime and nickel pkgs, isn't that what we are essentially doing? Or is that more of a 2-4-5 type of alignment? Please school me if I am wrong.
The more teams that employ a 3-4, the less effective it is. I think in large part it's a question of preparation by the opposing teams. There were years when the Steelers were the only base 3-4 team in the entire league, and those were the Golden Years of Lloyd, Kirkland, Greene, et al. We were immovable. Then again, when you have linebackers like those guys in their prime, it almost doesn't matter what scheme you employ.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Navy86
Draft Prospect

That's exactly my point. It does not matter what scheme you employ if you have the correct personnel. If you use larger down lineman, you might be successful using smaller, quicker personnel behind them, like in a nickel-type package. Anyway, I don't think it much matters what you "call" your defensive scheme, each team uses the personnel required to execute what ever type of offense you are trying to stop on any given play, and just because you run a base 3-4 or 4-3, it will adjust accordingly to the flow of the game. As long as the Steelers draft players who play and are hungry and talented, I don't care what you call the defense.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

But there is an important point here, which is that the more teams using the 3-4, the less effective it is. The same cannot be said of the 4-3, which is definitely effective (or not) as a function of personnel and coaching.

There's a second important point: 3-4 defensive ends are cheaper, relatively speaking than 4-3 ends, since by and large all they are asked to do is mind their gaps and stop the run. If they can also sack the QB, great, but that's not why they were hired. And since you have one less defensive linemen, the defense as a whole is cheaper as a result. The Steelers are likely to stick with a formula that not only produces results, but saves money.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Navy86
Draft Prospect

I agree, that's one good reason I don't see them switching to a 4-3. Hopefully, we'll still be able to scout the 3-4 ends and backers better than newer 3-4 teams keeping our defense more relevant? Of course, the more teams that run the 3-4, the smaller the barrel to choose from; I know more college teams are running the 3-4 than in the past, but how many are successful? Ahh, who knows, only time will tell I guess.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

The Steel Curtain was a 4-3......

Nuff said.............
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

3-4, 4-3 is for the teams who can't draft linebackers
Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
The Steel Curtain was a 4-3......

Nuff said.............
and Chuck Noll was the coach who switched from the 4-3 to the 3-4.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

You know, if you think about it a lot of our young defensive stars (I think) already played the 4-3 before they came here. Woodley and Worilds were both DE's and Hood was a DT. So, hypothetically, I'm not sure it would be as difficult a change as it as first seems. Sylvester and Timmons could be LB's, Worilds, Woodley, and Hood could be on the Dline, the secondary wouldn't really change at all (It still needs to be addressed right now but no personnel changes are required for a scheme switch), so we'd need one more DT and one more LB.

The problem is, guys like Woodley and Worilds weren't dominant as DE's in college, and their potential is maximized by the 3-4. So it could actually just end up making our defense a lot worse.

Again, I like the 3-4 better. I was just examining the possibility.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

I say we deploy the 1-1-9 defense. That will confuse them all. Of course, if you really want to sit around thinking how to keep everyone confused, you might as well move Arians to D Coordinator 'cause he's the master of confusion.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote