Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default My Take On The 2006 Steelers

From the moment the Steelers won XL we have heard nothing but how the Steelers won't repeat. Jerome Bettis retired and we have heard how we will miss his leadership. Then the few free agents we did lose and how we can't replace them. El and his big 35 catches and 1 TD hard to replace I think not. Chris Hope who made so few plays only has two career INT's. A free safety needs to make more plays on the ball then that. Kimo was a very good player but we have Kiesel ready to take his place. Now we are hearing this latest stuff about Hines Ward and how this will distract us from winning. These recent Ward's comments have been way over blown and by the time the season starts Hine's comments will have been long forgotten.

All this crap and nothing really of any substance leads me to believe with the moves the Steelers have made will be better in 2006 then in 2005. We drafted Santonio Holmes who I'm sure will make up for the loss of El in the passing game. People forget that El didn't even return punts in college. Reid doesn't have to learn how to return punts since he was an elite returner at the college ranks. Ryan Clark seems to be as good a player as Chris Hope. I expect Clark to struggle at first since he learning a new system and playing with new teammates. But by midseason Clark will be fine.

My biggest reasons the Steelers will be better.

1. Ben Roethlisberger will be in his third season. The third year is the year QB's seem to really take off. Ben already has a Super Bowl title. The first one is always the toughest in my mind. Ben will be fully healthy and better in 2006 especially with all the weapons he has to work with.

2. The Oline has had a year to work with each other. Last year we were breaking in Max Starks as a first time starter. Kendall Simmons was coming back from injury and struggled at first to retune his game. They have had a year to jell with each other and I expect to see the performance of our Oline in 2004 then the performance of the Oline from last year. Oline was good last year but it was better in 2004 in my mind.

3. The Steelers Defense. Only lost Chris Hope and Kimo. But have people as good or better to take over. Also saw players like Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor continue to grow and improve. Troy is already one of the best in the NFL and Ike had a very good season and showed that he can be a very good corner in the NFL. Throw in the good play of rookie Bryant McFadden and the Steelers secondary has some serious talent.

The LB core is still together and one of the best in the NFL. Porter and Haggans combined for 19.5 sacks last year. James Farrior and Larry Foote are very solid in the inside. James Harrison is the super sub of the unit. Andre Frazier showed some ability last year.

Kimo was a loss to the Dline. But Brett Keisel is a better pass rusher then Kimo. Brett might not be the run stopper Kimo was. But the Steelers will rotate Dlineman so Kirschke or a rookie like Orein Harris could play the run downs.

4. Speed kills. Willie Parker is the starting runnningback and he did very well as his first year as a starter. Yea he has his share of very short runs. But on the very next play he can take it to the house. Parker to me last year was thinking to much at times instead of letting his instincts take over. Willie at times followed the orginal hole instead of maybe cutting it back for a big gain. Now with the drafting of Santonio Holmes and Willie Reid the Steelers recieveing core and special teams are much faster. I expect more fireworks from the Steelers offense and special teams this year.

I can go on but I'll leave it at those four reasons. Now we all don't know what will happen. Of course if the Steelers have major injury problems that could lead to the Steelers not repeating. Sorry for the novel guys.

Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 05-14-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: My Take On The 2006 Steelers

Yeah. It's easy to say that the Steelers won't repeat. Whoa. They really go out on a limb when they say that. Isn't that just the reverse of saying that 32 teams have a chance to win the Super Bowl? Okay okay. I forgot about the Browns - I meant 31 teams.

The reasons given to qualify that statement expose their knowledge of this team. As soon as they mention ARE and Chris Hope and Kimo as reasons for a "no repeat" I know they have their heads up their a**es.

Now if Casey Hampton and Marvel Smith go down then I'll be scrambling tripping and falling for the tranquilizers. Actually I should be shot for even suggesting it.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Yeah. It's easy to say that the Steelers won't repeat. Whoa. They really go out on a limb when they say that. Isn't that just the reverse of saying that 32 teams have a chance to win the Super Bowl? Okay okay. I forgot about the Browns - I meant 31 teams.

The reasons given to qualify that statement expose their knowledge of this team. As soon as they mention ARE and Chris Hope and Kimo as reasons for a "no repeat" I know they have their heads up their a**es.

Now if Casey Hampton and Marvel Smith go down then I'll be scrambling tripping and falling for the tranquilizers. Actually I should be shot for even suggesting it.
I love Big Casey and he is important. But some thought the sky was falling when Casey was injured against the Cowboys early in the 2004 season. Chris Hoke came in and played well. Steelers made the AFC Title game despite lossing Hampton. Trust me I hope Casey doesn't get injured. Just saying I think we can overcome his loss. Hoke proved that in 2004. I agree about lossing Smith long term. The games he missed last year proved his importance to the Steelers.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I love Big Casey and he is important. But some thought the sky was falling when Casey was injured against the Cowboys early in the 2004 season. Chris Hoke came in and played well. Steelers made the AFC Title game despite lossing Hampton. Trust me I hope Casey doesn't get injured. Just saying I think we can overcome his loss. Hoke proved that in 2004. I agree about lossing Smith long term. The games he missed last year proved his importance to the Steelers.

Right on about Hoke. He's not Casey but he is solid. Thank god we have Richard LeBeau.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Right on about Hoke. He's not Casey but he is solid. Thank god we have Richard LeBeau.
Very good point about LeBeau. Your totally right thank God we have him master minding our defense. Points for you my friend.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The Steelers will be easy to spot each week, they will have the unifoms with the targets on their backs. I know everyone says how hard it will be to repeat, but hell we went on the road every week to get this one. How much harder can it get. The biggest thing to me will be Ben, he played very well last year despite numerous injuries. If he can stay healthy, this team has what it takes to go the distance, NO DOUBTS!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

the Steelers have a very good chance of repeating. they've been terrific for 2 seasons in a row and a solid contender all decade so they wont disappear. Pittsburgh, New England,Denver, and Indianapolis will continue be the favorites and i expect Cincinnati, Jacksonville,Miami, KC, and San Diego to be right there as well. I dont see many surprise teams popping up in the AFC like in the NFC. maybe Cleveland as i like what Romeo is doing there.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I agree with ya. But, I don't really care if nobody thinks we will repeat. I like it better the way the team is when they play like the under dog role.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote