Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default This Steelers Fan Will Have An Eye On Rivers

Rewind back to before the draft in 2004. All the talk that the Steelers would take Philip Rivers at the 11th spot in the draft. I didn't want nothing to do with Rivers at 11. I was on the Big Ben bandwagon and I was praying he fell to us and I'm so glad he did. But as a NFL fan also. With all that talk of Rivers maybe coming to the Steelers before that draft I can't help but having some interest to see how Rivers does with the Chargers. Its going to be interesting to see if Rivers can pickup the slack since Brees is a Saint now. The Bolts are close to being a Super Bowl contendar so the pressure is on Rivers to do well.

I think it will be an up and down season for Phil since he will be starter and there is some adjusting to the NFL as a starter. But Phil is in a situation were he doesn't have to carry the team since the Chargers do have talent on both sides of the ball. I think Rivers will be a good NFL QB. But like I said before I didn't want him at the 11th spot. thought he should have been a late first round pick instead of being the 4th overall pick.

Finally all the top three QB's will be starting from the 2004 draft. Ben, Eli and Philip will all be linked since they were in the same draft class.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901
Default Re: This Steelers Fan Will Have An Eye On Rivers

I don't think there is much that can be said, good or bad, about Philip that hasn't been said 10,000 time on every NFL Forum known to man. But, at the expense of sounding like Tha Rock, I think the NFL should be ready for Philip to be a real threat to them. And this could be birth of the next triplets; LT, Gates, and Rivers.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: This Steelers Fan Will Have An Eye On Rivers

Well....................not to sound rude boLT fan, but I'm not thoroughly convinced on P. Rivers yet. Of course, no one should be at this point. Admittedly, I was worried as hell in '04 when word came down that Ben would start in week 3....see where that got us! :o)

All I'm saying is that it "typically" takes a season or three for a QB to be a real contender. I actually live in San Diego (Imperial Beach), so I am more familiar with the Chargers than the typical Steelers fan. I really do hope he works out well for you guys. He is surrounded by a plethora of talent (LT, Gates, etc...). That definitely helps; equates to a faster maturation process. See what it did for Big Ben two seasons ago!

But then again....I know a lot of Teams let out a sigh of relief to hear that Drew left. They are counting on taking advantage of Rivers' inexperience. Once again, do not take that as an insult. We Steelers fans had to deal with that mindset over all of 2004....and again in 2005 with everyone hollering "well, the sophomore slump will kick in and the world will see that Ben's '04 season was merely a fluke" comments.

I was at Qualcom Stadium at field level last October when Pittsburgh came to town...what an exciting game! And I will be right there again on October 8th when they come back for another game! It will still be exciting, but to be honest...........I am STILL happy for the Steelers that Drew is gone. The experience level he brought was valuable. Other Teams tried to take advantage of Ben's inexperience....I think your O-Line and ball-handling Corps will help Rivers substantially, as ours did with Ben.

Looking forward to another great game Bro!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I watched the draft from Iraq, lost an entire night of sleep just to watch Big Ben get drafted.........I was very happy, and got into many arguments that Big ben would be better than either E. Manning or Rivers.......So far Im right..........And i dont think rivers is going to have the impact on the Chargers like Big Ben did in the BURGH.....

GO STEELERS
Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
boLT fan
Team Captain

I know he's not going to come in and put up Peyton Manning numbers, but the good thing is he doesn't have to. The Chargers have both of a QB's best friends; great RB, good D. And I should think that teams should at least be slightly worried about PR. Sure, Brees was good but he didn't really strike fear into defenses with his lofty throws. I think once Philip gets going in 2-3 years he will like Brees in terms of smarts, but better in terms of his arm.

As far as our O-line. That'll probably hurt more than help Philip.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan
I don't think there is much that can be said, good or bad, about Philip that hasn't been said 10,000 time on every NFL Forum known to man. But, at the expense of sounding like Tha Rock, I think the NFL should be ready for Philip to be a real threat to them. And this could be birth of the next triplets; LT, Gates, and Rivers.
Way to early to tell, we already know that Ben and Eli are for real, but Leaf still has to prove himself. Oooops did I say Leaf? Sorry! Anyway he looks to be the real deal, but only time will tell, it is premature to call Gates, LT and Leaf the triplets. OOOpps did I say Leaf. Sorry. Besides we will hav ethe Quads, Ben, Hines, Fast Willie, and Holmes! I hope Leaf does pan out though. Oooops did I say Leaf again. sorry, but it does prove that there are no gaurantees.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
boLT fan
Team Captain

You're pretty much taking what I said, and making it into a guarentee. I said this could be the next tripplets. There's already 2 of the 3 and it is possible. I never said Rivers will for sure be the greatest thing in the world, I just have confidence in him as most Charger fans have. But I do love the negativity towards PR, just more to rub in peopel's faces if he does great.

I don't really expect many Steeler fans to wish Rivers to do well.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I will be following Rivers too... I wanted the Steelers to get either him or Ben in the draft. Since I live in Ohio and had seen more of Ben I was leaning towards him, but would have taken Rivers over Eli.

It looks like it may work out nicely for all three franchises.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: This Steelers Fan Will Have An Eye On Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Way to early to tell, we already know that Ben and Eli are for real, but Leaf still has to prove himself. Oooops did I say Leaf? Sorry! Anyway he looks to be the real deal, but only time will tell, it is premature to call Gates, LT and Leaf the triplets. OOOpps did I say Leaf. Sorry. Besides we will hav ethe Quads, Ben, Hines, Fast Willie, and Holmes! I hope Leaf does pan out though. Oooops did I say Leaf again. sorry, but it does prove that there are no gaurantees.

LEAF? ! ? ! ? ! ?

Oh Mannnnnnnnnnn..........Tooooo Funny! Props to you Bro!
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan
I know there isn't much left to say about Rivers. I'm just interested to see how he does as a fan of the NFL. Yea I'm a diehard Steelers but I like watching other players and other teams as well. Chargers are not far from being a serious Super Bowl contendar. It all depends on how Rivers plays. But the Bolts had to make the move and let Brees go. You spend that kind of money and make a trade like that to let the guy sit or get rid of him. Yea Drew Brees is a really good NFL QB. But I think Rivers has more upside. Anyways the AFC is stacked as usual. Its going to be very interesting.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote