Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts
Default New York Times - 2010 Steelers: What the Film Revealed

Overview of the 2010 Steelers by the often insightful New York Times Fifth Down blog

2010 Steelers: What the Film Revealed

Offense

Ben Roethlisberger was the key. He and Michael Vick are the league’s only quarterbacks capable of consistently making a positive play when the defensive concept defeats the offensive concept (think of all the times you’ve seen Roethlisberger throw darts with defenders draped all over him). Roethlisberger’s receiving corps will be good for a long time. Mike Wallace emerged as a top-five-caliber wideout. Lankiness and long strides give him the league’s most punishing combination of speed and acceleration. The rookie Emmanuel Sanders, a quick receiver out of S.M.U., was Roethlisberger’s favorite target in spread formations by season’s end. Rashard Mendenhall proved a dangerous finesse runner who can also break tackles. It’s impressive that all these Steelers succeeded despite operating behind an offensive line that featured just two quality starters: C Maurkice Pouncey and LG Chris Kemoeatu (both mobile, astute run-blockers).

Defense

It wouldn’t be wrong to say that everyone on Dick LeBeau’s defense was a star in 2010 except CB Bryant McFadden and DE Ziggy Hood. (For what it’s worth, McFadden was a decent starter; Hood had trouble anchoring and must improve his agility.) When Troy Polamalu was healthy, it was almost as if the Steelers were playing 12 on 11. Polamalu could freelance because the other 10 guys around him were rock solid. CB Ike Taylor was especially underappreciated.

Pittsburgh’s most important player might have been NT Casey Hampton. He was the primary reason teams couldn’t run against this front seven. Great as LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison were, it was inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons who really stood out. Timmons was the most dominant interior blitzer in football last season, and perhaps the league’s most athletic linebacker.

Myth Buster
3-4 defensive ends are just run anchors

For most teams, this is true. But for the Steelers, the defensive end position is where favorable defensive mismatches in the run game are created. Brett Keisel’s agility, more than his power, makes him a force. (This is also true for Aaron Smith…when he’s healthy.) Keisel creates congestion along the line of scrimmage primarily through lateral movement and penetration. Having this kind of mobility at defensive end gives LeBeau more variations in his scheme.

Something Positive

James Farrior was the fourth-best linebacker on the Steelers in 2010, but he would have been the best linebacker on several other teams. At age 36, Farrior continued to play at a breakneck pace. He may have been the best in the business at attacking blocks (notice it’s “attacking blocks”, not “taking on blocks”). His sharp instincts, as usual, allowed him to simplify his job.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...d/?ref=sports\

No real surprises except for the lack of support for Hood, whom I thought stepped up after Smith was hurt.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: New York Times - 2010 Steelers: What the Film Revealed

I agree, I thought Hood played as good as could be expected stepping in for an injured star. Overall seems like a very positive article, makes me look forward to next season even more.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

If there will be a next season.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm wondering how much film they looked at. As the season wore on, Hood got WAY better and Mcfadden got WAY worse. Mcfadden was "sort of solid (I hesitate to say solid because he was still picked on a lot and the source of a lot of bad plays)" the first half of the season but regressed tremendously in the second half, whereas Hood wasn't very impressive when he stepped in at first but over the last couple weeks and the playoffs he became the "unstoppable" Hood we kept hearing about in preseason.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,405 Posts

Quote:
Hood had trouble anchoring and must improve his agility.
mmmmkay.... so they put up the best defensive rushing stats in their history because hood had "trouble anchoring" ......

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
mmmmkay.... so they put up the best defensive rushing stats in their history because hood had "trouble anchoring" ......
And, unless I'm mistaken, the rushing D's numbers actually got better with Hood in the lineup, even if his stat line wasn't exemplary.

Make no mistake: McFadden sucked donkey dicks. We won in spite of him.

I'm not sure how well-researched this snippet was. Shocking, from such a prestigious newspaper as the NYT. [insert sarcasm here]
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,904 Times in 864 Posts
My Mood: Cool

i don't think Ziggy is getting the credit that he deserves if i had to give him a grade i'd give him a B+ or a A -
but McFadden (Ricardisimo seid it better)sucked donkey dicks
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
And, unless I'm mistaken, the rushing D's numbers actually got better with Hood in the lineup, even if his stat line wasn't exemplary.

Make no mistake: McFadden sucked donkey dicks. We won in spite of him.

I'm not sure how well-researched this snippet was. Shocking, from such a prestigious newspaper as the NYT. [insert sarcasm here]
It is a pretty good blog - I am unaware of many blogs where you will get a detailed breakdown on the evolution of NFL defenses much better than these

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...fenses-part-1/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-of-4-3-front/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ont-continued/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...the-3-4-front/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...he-zone-blitz/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...he-46-defense/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...l-subpackages/

But if everyone wants to bow up in this thread about their discontent with the NYT glad I provided the opportunity

Sorry if I am a little cranky after my NCAA bracket cratered
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Ziggy was way better than the article makes out.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

The NY Times should stick to covering civil rights issues and the ACLU....not sports.

It wouldn’t be wrong to say that everyone on Dick LeBeau’s defense was a star in 2010 except CB Bryant McFadden and DE Ziggy Hood.

Yes, it would be wrong to say. Last I checked, we only allowed teams to run for approximately 62 yards per game against us in 2010, and Ziggy was a HUGE part of that. When he first replaced Aaron Smith, the dropoff was VERY noticeable.

As the season went on, I found that I was no longer missing Aaron Smith so much.....Ziggy came on strong as the season wore on, and he also provided an added dimension to the pass rush that our DEs don't normally contribute.